2022 early look top prospects

The MLB show this evening went 3. Green, 2. Johnson, 1. Jones, and had a Termarr interview.

It had some clips of him at Coors (I guess the high schoolers had their Futures Game equivalent All-Star weekend), with the report in the home run derby he was >450 six times.

Comps-wise, Harold Reynolds went to Terry Pendleton.  I think Termarr a solid Braves fan as on the question of who he likes or models himself after, he gave his brother, Robinson Cano and "Jason Heyward when he was on the Braves".    The most extravagant praise came from one of Jim Callis/Jonathan Mayo, who reported one scout saying he combined Boggs' eye with Vlad's bat-to-ball ability.   He got a defensive spectrum question, and said shortstop of course, though who knows why he can't get the gig on his high school team?

There was less on Green and Jones with no interview, though one of Callis/Mayo reported some think Druw Jones could play SS in addition to CF, except that Jeff Blauser's son is the SS on the team.   It was enough for me to link Druw a bit to previous SS/CF prospect Adam Jones, but I'd guess Andruw's son won't be leaving CF for a long, long time.

Luis Robert was the offered comp for Green, with the Highest Ceiling/Lowest Floor kind of takes you would guess.

Just behind DeLauter in their 9-12 range was a Virginia Tech outfielder who might be the Hokies first 1st rounder since 1982 Franklin Stubbs, for you few partisans here if Elias pulls a "super Heston Kjerstad" double down with 1-1 to either pay Kumar his money (this show guessed Kumar #31 with the arm health question), or get all the Coby Mayos downdraft.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Can you really take a second baseman with the first pick?

https://twitter.com/mlbpipeline/status/1471511925192204291?s=21

Why not?  It’s a weak position offensively, so if you have a stud hitter there who plays the position well, that’s pretty advantageous.   But I wouldn’t want some defensive stiff who calls himself a 2B.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Why not?  It’s a weak position offensively, so if you have a stud hitter there who plays the position well, that’s pretty advantageous.   But I wouldn’t want some defensive stiff who calls himself a 2B.

I don’t know..with the first pick, I want a player playing a premium position.  If he is already locked into second base at his age, that doesn’t bode well Imo.

Its a big reason why I didn’t want Austin Martin.

• Like 1

Just now, Frobby said:

My main issue would be if a guy who projects as a second baseman in high school can make the transition to the majors at that position.  A guy that moves off of shortstop is going to have more fallback positions open than someone who can't make it as a second baseman.  I would think that his arm wouldn't be great so he's probably going to be a LF/DH/1B if he can't stick at second.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t know..with the first pick, I want a player playing a premium position.  If he is already locked into second base at his age, that doesn’t bode well Imo.

Its a big reason why I didn’t want Austin Martin.

I just looked up the top 100 position players of all time by rWAR:

COF: 26

2B: 17

1B: 16

SS: 14

3B: 13

CF: 10

CA: 4

Like I said, if a guy could be a good 2B and an excellent hitter, I’m fine with it.   The real question is whether a player who’s a 2B in HS can stick there long term and not be a defensive liability.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just looked up the top 100 position players of all time by rWAR:

COF: 26

2B: 17

1B: 16

SS: 14

3B: 13

CF: 10

CA: 4

Like I said, if a guy could be a good 2B and an excellent hitter, I’m fine with it.   The real question is whether a player who’s a 2B in HS can stick there long term and not be a defensive liability.

But that’s part of the point.  If he is already only a second baseman, that’s not a good sign for what he can do later.  

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But that’s part of the point.  If he is already only a second baseman, that’s not a good sign for what he can do later.  

The profile from MLB shows that they think he'll need to move to 2B, but that he'll be solid there. They'd obviously be drafting him primarily for his bat (70-80 hit tool w/ power), but there doesn't seem to be any indication that he couldn't handle that position (they gave him a 55 fielding grade). 

If he mashes this year and clearly looks like the most polished prep hitter in a decade - that's something I would want to take a chance on. Jones and Green have plenty of exciting tools, but I'm not sure anything is more exciting then 80 hit potential.