Troubling Trevor Bauer assault allegations

jabba72

1 minute ago, owknows said:

I think the broader point is whether it's appropriate to suspend someone because he was accused.

Accusations are cheap. And sadly, today's world is full of opportunists and "me-too" glory-seekers.

We have learned this FAR too often, and seem to be learning it even now, regarding Depp v Heard.

There has been a wrongful assertion of "believe all women" that has been bandied about in the press for a few years... and it has had some pretty terrible consequences.

While it is important to take accusations seriously... it is utterly wrongful to believe all accusations in the absence of proof.

This sloganeering is costly, and will eventually create a backlash.

This statement stands independent of the guilt or innocence Bauer regarding these accusations.

Does it seem like MLB is doing this to you?

It's been a long going investigation, there are other women that have been talked to.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Does it seem like MLB is doing this to you?

It's been a long going investigation, there are other women that have been talked to.

Yes... it seems exactly like that to me.

If they had anything other than gossip and accusation.. they would have stated it as the basis for their decision.

They didn't.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Also, there are women that are willing to give public testimony.

The cult of "me too" and the hero status bestowed upon the accusers pretty much assures it.

That's why proof is different than accusation.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

I kind of want to say MLB sliding this out about 8pm before the last work day before Christmas is an unofficial signal tomorrow is a company-sponsored holiday.      We'll see what the future holds (different circumstances but I think the way Aroldis left the NYY last fall also puts an MLB future of 0.0 in play).

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I kind of want to say MLB sliding this out about 8pm before the last work day before Christmas is an unofficial signal tomorrow is a company-sponsored holiday.      We'll see what the future holds (different circumstances but I think the way Aroldis left the NYY last fall also puts an MLB future of 0.0 in play).

This will be interesting to watch.

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

What a shame.  This man essentially lost two pitching life years, had his MLB contract wrongfully terminated and instead was forced to take significantly less money to play overseas. Terrible. We have a lot improve upon in the way we handle things in this country. When will we learn?

I’m very glad he was able to win this case and I’ll just leave it at that. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

What a shame.  This man essentially lost two pitching life years, had his MLB contract wrongfully terminated and instead was forced to take significantly less money to play overseas. Terrible. We have a lot improve upon in the way we handle things in this country. When will we learn?

I’m very glad he was able to win this case and I’ll just leave it at that. 

The worst part is that this was the inevitable outcome imo. The story always sounded like bs to me or at least it sounded sensationalized by the “victim”.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The worst part is that this was the inevitable outcome imo. The story always sounded like bs to me or at least it sounded sensationalized by the “victim”.

Yeah, never passed the smell test for me. Like this guy is going to flush a NINE figure contract for what ...

58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I didn’t even realize this case was still going on.  The woman lost her motion for a restraining order like two years ago, and prosecutors announced they weren’t  going to prosecute him criminally.  Still, I’d need to know more to say baseball was wrong in suspending him.  An arbitrator found a suspension was proper, though the length of suspension was adjusted.  That was a neutral party, not an MLB employee.  So I don’t assume Bauer is blameless here.

She should be charged to the fullest extent of the law with (not an attorney so I don’t know what the exact legal terms or limitations are) extortion, falsifying statements, perjury, etc or whatever else they can and be subject to the same jail time and monetary sanctions Bauer was facing.

It’s pretty ridiculous that people think they can continue to try to pull these stunts. They need to set an example so that it stops. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

She should be charged to the fullest extent of the law with (not an attorney so I don’t know what the exact legal terms or limitations are) extortion, falsifying statements, perjury, etc or whatever else they can and be subject to the same jail time and monetary sanctions Bauer was facing.

It’s pretty ridiculous that people think they can continue to try to pull these stunts. They need to set an example so that it stops. 

I live down the street from Charlotte Sena, who was abducted in upstate NY the other day. It got me thinking today is kidnapping / assaulting children the worst crime you could commit? I thought, probably so, but then read these texts from Lindsey Hill and now I'm reconsidering. Wow, that's a special kind of evil.

5 hours ago, baltimoriole said:

I live down the street from Charlotte Sena, who was abducted in upstate NY the other day. It got me thinking today is kidnapping / assaulting children the worst crime you could commit? I thought, probably so, but then read these texts from Lindsey Hill and now I'm reconsidering. Wow, that's a special kind of evil.

Seriously?   I am not in ANY way defending what Hill did -- trying to extort money and ruin the reputation from a rich person by making up false accusations.   Obviously it is wrong, terribly so.   But somehow considering it could be WORSE than assaulting a child?   That just doesn't compute for me.

On another note, I spent a lot of time up in your area as my mother lived in Fort Edward and then Queensbury for the last 18 years of her life.

I was glad to hear that the kidnapper had sent a ransom note, it at least leaves hope that the girl wasn't physically assaulted during her captivity as the motive might have been money.    We can at least hope that is the case.