Imminent Minor League Promotions

ChuckS

Bowie to Norfolk

C Adley Rutschman (23)  .289 .404 .560

3B Patrick Dorrian (25)    .285 .420 .508 

Aberdeen to Bowie

LHP Drew Rom (21)  3.14 ERA and 1.11 WHIP in 48.2 innings, 53 K's.  Other than one blow up start he's been dominant. 

1B J.D. Mundy (23)  .286 .348 .667  (8 home runs in 84 at bats)

Delmarva to Aberdeen

CF Hudson Haskin (22) .280 .382 .445

There are a number of pitchers in Delmarva that are putting up nice numbers but are 22/23.  Too old for the league and need to be challenged.  It may take an influx of new draftees to facilitate this but just looking at the roster: Brandon Young, Grifin McLarty, and Zach Peek are prime candidates. I'd like to see all three in Aberdeen soon. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Plus Grayson Rodriguez, Blaine Knight, Nick Vespi and Cameron Bishop from Bowie to Norfolk.

I am think July 12th for these promotions because its the off day prior to the half way point of the AAA and AA seasons.

I don't think they promote Rodriguez.  Easier to have him spend more time in AA, that way they can say he needs to prove himself at AAA next year instead of having a chance to break camp with the ML team.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't move Dorrian until he improves his numbers against lefties. He's slugging .233   Even though he's 25, he doesn't have a ton of MiL at bats. O's need to decide whether to protect him from the Rule V this offseason, so I think they'll have a better idea if they're patient and see if he can bring that split up. Despite that concern, I like Dorrian. I just want to see if he can be an every day player. 

14 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I wouldn't move Dorrian until he improves his numbers against lefties. He's slugging .233   Even though he's 25, he doesn't have a ton of MiL at bats. O's need to decide whether to protect him from the Rule V this offseason, so I think they'll have a better idea if they're patient and see if he can bring that split up. Despite that concern, I like Dorrian. I just want to see if he can be an every day player. 

If all Dorrian can do is bat 1.000 vs righties, I'll take it.  I would promote him to AAA and let him work on hitting lefties there.

46 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If all Dorrian can do is bat 1.000 vs righties, I'll take it.  I would promote him to AAA and let him work on hitting lefties there.

Agree with the first part, disagreed with the second. Don't see how it's going to help him to improve a terrible split against lefties to promote him to face even tougher pitching. I can see moving him up to AAA despite his throwing issues, for him to focus on that particular weak spot at a higher level. That makes sense. But not the hitting part. If he can develop that part of his game, he becomes a much more valuable asset to us. Think Cedric Mullins. I don't want to lock him down as a platoon guy after 700 some minor league at bats. Just my opinion. 

6 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Agree with the first part, disagreed with the second. Don't see how it's going to help him to improve a terrible split against lefties to promote him to face even tougher pitching. I can see moving him up to AAA despite his throwing issues, for him to focus on that particular weak spot at a higher level. That makes sense. But not the hitting part. If he can develop that part of his game, he becomes a much more valuable asset to us. Think Cedric Mullins. I don't want to lock him down as a platoon guy after 700 some minor league at bats. Just my opinion. 

OK, I'll think Mullins.   Mullins did not hit lefties and Elias still promoted him to the majors.  I understand what you are trying to accomplish but I doubt that is the way Elias handles it.  Some lefties never hit left-handed pitching well.

Ruiz didn't hit lefties well.  That did not stop Elias from playing him.  If he had hit righties well Ruiz would probably still be on the team.

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

OK, I'll the Mullins.   Mullins did not hit lefties and Elias still promoted him to the majors.  I understand what you are trying to accomplish but I doubt that is the way Elias handles it.  Some lefties never hit left-handed pitching well.

Ruiz didn't hit lefties well.  That did not stop Elias from playing him.  If he had did righties well Ruiz would probably still be on the team.

I don’t want Dorrian to be Ruiz. He has 741 minor league at bats. By comparison, Ruiz had almost 3000 by the time he got to Baltimore. I’m usually pretty big on promoting our prospects to keep them challenged, but Dorrian is pretty well challenged by AA lefties. And where a number of our prospects clearly started a level lower than they should have, Dorrian starting at AA was a level high given his limited MiL experience. Thrilled with how well he’s done, but I don’t see the need to promote him yet. He has more work to do in AA. 

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think they promote Rodriguez.  Easier to have him spend more time in AA, that way they can say he needs to prove himself at AAA next year instead of having a chance to break camp with the ML team.

That’s possible.   I do think he gets promoted this year, but maybe not until later.

I would expect that a good position player like Rutschman wouldn't have to spend much time in AAA before coming up, if he meets whatever Elias' criteria for being ready is.

But pitchers -- different story.  I think just about any pitcher that comes up will have to have spent at least a couple months performing at AAA, due to the fact that AAA uses the major league ball.

So I am hoping that Grayson gets to Norfolk as soon as possible.   Because he probably won't be coming to Baltimore until he's pitched with the AAA/MLB ball in Norfolk for a couple months.