Who’s the better defensive 1B, Mancini or Mountcastle?

Frobby

Who is the better defensive 1B, Mountcastle or Mancini?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better defensive 1B?

• Mancini
    • Mountcastle

I’m just interested in opinions on this, on a slow day following an off day.  

Mancini has started 57 games at 1B this year.   He’s at -5 Rtot, -3 Rdrs, +O.6 UZR, +1 OAA.

Mountcastje has started 36 games at 1B.   He’s at 0 Rtot, 0 Rdrs, +1.7 UZR, -1 OAA.

So, three of the four advanced metrics like Mountcastle better, but you have at least one that prefers Mancini.  

Fun fact: both players have a higher OPS as a DH than as a 1B.   Mancini is at .950/.717; Mountcastle is .779/.704.

Both the defensive stats and the offensive splits are based on very small sample sizes so you should take anything they say with a large grain of salt.

So putting aside the numbers, who do you like better at 1B defensively?

• Upvote 1

Mountcastle has more range the Mancini does IMO but he also hasn’t played the position before coming to major leagues and doesn’t look as comfortable with ball to go after or not.  Mancini is also better throwing to second to try and turn two right now.  Long term I like Mountcastle because of the athleticism advantage as he gets more experience there. 

• Upvote 2

I honestly don't know.   Haven't seen enough yet for the "eye test" to discern a difference.   I think I have more confidence in Mancini to know what he is doing, things like scooping throws and making throws and things that come with experience at first base.   But right now I don't see a huge difference.

I voted Mountcastle.  With SSS it's hard to say definitively, however I've seen Trey play a decent amount of 1b and he's never stood out as being anything more than average.  I watched Mountcastle a bit in minors and thought he was a decent fielder, very athletic,  but had a poor throwing arm.  I'm assuming long term that athleticism translates to 1b, but he has looked a bit shaky there this year learning a new position.  When it's a toss up, I go with the talent over the polish. 

23 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Mountcastle has more range the Mancini does IMO but he also hasn’t played the position before coming to major leagues and doesn’t look as comfortable with ball to go after or not.  Mancini is also better throwing to second to try and turn two right now.  Long term I like Mountcastle because of the athleticism advantage as he gets more experience there. 

That's where I am.  Mountcastle is longer and more athletic - clearly has the edge in physical ability.  Mancini has the experience edge, but Mountcastle can make plays that Mancini can't and should improve.  It's a tough call now, but by next year, it should be an easy choice for the Mounty.    

Mancini will catch hard hit balls that Mountcastle is missing at this point.  Especially to his back hand.  I think its the experience fact. Both scoop balls well.   However, Mountcastle has the potential to be better with his agility.

Who is ... Mancini.  Who will be... Mountcastle.