I’m about ready to give up on DJ Stewart

kidrock

12 minutes ago, SteveA said:

They could have a special wing in Cooperstown.   That picture.   One of Ryan vs Ventura, maybe.  Maybe one of George Brett losing his mind in the pine tar game.   Billy and Reggie going at it in the dugout.   Earl going nose to chin with an ump.   I don't know if there is a photo of Ty Cobb going into the stands and beating up a handicapped person.   Maybe no one brought their cell phone to the game that day.

And Pedro Martinez vs Don Zimmer for the Hall of Shame.    

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Am I allowed to be happy that Stewart is heating up?    He still has some time to pull his numbers up to respectability.   

I guess he wants to make me look like a real jackass.  He made a decent little running catch today too.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Am I allowed to be happy that Stewart is heating up?    He still has some time to pull his numbers up to respectability.   

He is certainly a streaky player. Would be nice if he can go on a little run. Yusniel Diaz has had a blah season in the minors so Stewart will probably be in the 4th outfielder mix again next year.

When Hays and Mullins are both healthy, Stewart has more value to the team than Ryan McKenna. Jahmai Jones could be a darkhorse threat for his roster spot.

11 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He is certainly a streaky player. Would be nice if he can go on a little run. Yusniel Diaz has had a blah season in the minors so Stewart will probably be in the 4th outfielder mix again next year.

When Hays and Mullins are both healthy, Stewart has more value to the team than Ryan McKenna. Jahmai Jones could be a darkhorse threat for his roster spot.

I'm in here heaping dirt on the guy, but the book isn't closed on him.

He'll get a chance next year to make the club. He'll probably be battling Diaz, McKenna, Jones for that 25th man roster spot.

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yeah, he had two home runs today. He still has negative value on the bases and in the field and he can’t hit for average. 

Thanks for the sunshine and light.   We all know his serious flaws.    Let’s enjoy it when he has a good day.   

The season’s not over.   Still 30% to play.  Players can change the perception of their season quite a lot in that much time.  Not saying I think that’s likely for Stewart, but let’s say he gets his BA to .240, his OBP to .350, and his SLG to .425.    That’s a very different picture than .197/.316/.333 where he was a couple of days ago.   If that happens, we can revisit whether such a line makes up for his other flaws.   I’d like to have Stewart force us to have that conversation.  

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

but let’s say he gets his BA to .240, his OBP to .350, and his SLG to .425.  

Ok, let’s.

When that happens, we can chat. Until then, you will forgive me if I continue to say that a guy with no defensive value is OK if he can hit, unless he can’t hit either.

I’m sure you remember my posts At the beginning of the year, defending him, when he was playing reasonable Defense and hitting OK. 
I’m kind of done now, and the burden of proof is on him to force more opportunities.

Edited by Philip
Typo

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

So?  Your inability to see what guys do well and dwell on what they do bad is incredible.  

Oh, child…. Yeah he had two home runs today. He has still had a terrible season. And I was in his corner at the beginning of the season. I made more than one post defending him.

Does one good day turn the season around? No. Does three good weeks turn a season around? It’s a lot closer than one good day.

And does hit well? No he doesn’t. That’s why we are having this conversation. Because today he had two home runs.

I don’t expect him to meaningfully improve, and most of the people who have posted here don’t either.

Edited by Philip

Just now, Philip said:

Oh, child…. Yeah he had two home runs today. He has still had a terrible season. And I was in his corner at the beginning of the season. I made more than one post defending him.

Does one good day turn the season around? No. Does three good weeks turn a season around? It’s a lot closer than one good day.

And does he do it well? No he doesn’t. That’s why we are having this conversation. Because today he had two home runs.

I don’t expect him to meaningfully improve, and most of the people who have posted here don’t either.

None of this has anything to do with my point.  

Stewart is a very flawed player who doesn’t do a lot of things to help a team.  But he does do some things that help a team and just because those things aren’t  plentiful, doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a spot in the game or on this team.  You just can’t seem to comprehend this thought.  You are so fixated on what he does poorly that you can’t see the forest through the trees.

I am not saying he should be here next year.  What I am saying Is that you play things out for now and continue your evaluation of him.  If he hits for power and gets on base at an above average clip, that’s what matters, especially if you platoon him. 

For most of this year, he hasn’t hit for power.  If he’s not going to hit for power or get on base, he’s essentially worthless.  However, if he does get on base and does hit for power, he has value while his salary is next to nothing.  You continue to give him at bats when you can until there is reason not to…that reason would be better players coming up and not justifying playing him over those guys.

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

I am happy and would love for him to heat up.  I actually started this thread because I have always had a soft spot for him, but couldn't even justify him anymore to my biased self.

I don’t see a reason why Stewart and McKenna aren’t our 4th/5th OFs next season.

Who is pushing them?  Plus Hays and Santander are injury prone. Diaz has had a disastrous season. Injuries and performance. They guy basically has done little in AA/AAA since the trade 3 years ago.  Zach Jarret is kinda meh. His ceiling is probably Mason Williams. Neustrom doesn’t have to be added to the 40 man until Nov of 2022. So unless there are injuries, I think he’s going to have a good dose of AAA next year, barring really forcing his way up here. 

Stewart has enough potential that you keep him around until he gets too expensive in arb. He could always have that Schwarber type season, and had that in SSS last year pretty much. 

Plus the potential of a Mancini trade. 

Edited by sportsfan8703