I’m about ready to give up on DJ Stewart

kidrock

With the new dimensions at OPACY, it seems like DJ Stewart is a poor fit. I believe he has an option left. What’s his path to even make the club?  Mancini and/or Santander traded?  Have him go to AAA until an injury happens or Mancini/Santander are traded?  I think McKenna is the more valuable 4th OF. 

Overall, with what we have in the minors with OF depth, I just don’t see what role Stewart could have on our future clubs. Even next season. Unless he becomes Kyle Schwarber, I’d rather use his 40 man spot on a IF or arm with upside. 

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

With the new dimensions at OPACY, it seems like DJ Stewart is a poor fit. I believe he has an option left. What’s his path to even make the club?  Mancini and/or Santander traded?  Have him go to AAA until an injury happens or Mancini/Santander are traded?  I think McKenna is the more valuable 4th OF. 

Overall, with what we have in the minors with OF depth, I just don’t see what role Stewart could have on our future clubs. Even next season. Unless he becomes Kyle Schwarber, I’d rather use his 40 man spot on a IF or arm with upside. 

I don’t think the new dimensions impact Stewart much.   He’s a LHB so he’s not really impacted on offense.   On defense, he plays RF more than LF.  I’m not saying he’s not affected, but the impact is pretty marginal.   Really, he needs to hit a bit better no matter what the LF dimensions are.  

I agree that the new left field dimensions will  favor McKenna as the 4th OFer.     Stewart is a backup at RF and DH.      Whether that puts him in Baltimore or Norfolk will depend on the way Elias/Hyde configures the team.  Stewart is probably passed by Stowers on the depth chart as soon as Stowers is deemed ready for the majors.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree that the new left field dimensions will  favor McKenna as the 4th OFer.     Stewart is a backup at RF and DH.      Whether that puts him in Baltimore or Norfolk will depend on the way Elias/Hyde configures the team.  Stewart is probably passed by Stowers on the depth chart as soon as Stowers is deemed ready for the majors.

Stewart was never going to be the 4th OFer.

In fact, McKenna shouldn’t be either.  In theory, the 4th OFer should be someone you are comfortable giving 300+ at bats too and provides you with other value.

McKenna is more of a 5th OFer and Stewart hasn’t shown he can provide us with anything yet.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Stewart was never going to be the 4th OFer.

In fact, McKenna shouldn’t be either.  In theory, the 4th OFer should be someone you are comfortable giving 300+ at bats too and provides you with other value.

McKenna is more of a 5th OFer and Stewart hasn’t shown he can provide us with anything yet.

Mullins is not injury prone and is likely to play 160 games in 2022 with any luck.   Both  Hays in left and Santander in right are injury prone.    So there will probably be innings there for other outfielders.    But with the changes to left field the backup outfielders need to have very different skills.    Left field will require speed.   Right field backup will be more about offensive production.    

McKenna is the best on the team to backup left because of his speed.   He can play right but when Stowers is ready I expect him to be the right field backup because of his production with the bat.

We will see how Stowers develops during the season and if he allows the O's  to trade Santander at the deadline.    The trade of DH Mancini would also allow  Santander or Stowers  to get at bats at DH. 

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Mullins is not injury prone and is likely to play 160 games in 2022 with any luck.   Both  Hays in left and Santander in right are injury prone.    So there will probably be innings there for other outfielders.    But with the changes to left field the backup outfielders need to have very different skills.    Left field will require speed.   Right field backup will be more about offensive production.    

McKenna is the best on the team to backup left because of his speed.   He can play right but when Stowers is ready I expect him to be the right field backup because of his production with the bat.

We will see how Stowers develops during the season and if he allows the O's  to trade Santander at the deadline.    The trade of DH Mancini would also allow  Santander or Stowers  to get at bats at DH. 

Just because McKenna is currently our best option doesn’t mean he should be given the job.

The team should do something radical and sign a player that is actually good and move McKenna down to where he should be…if he’s on the team at all.

I know it’s asking for a lot for them to want to actually improve the product on the field but that’s what I’m doing.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Just because McKenna is currently our best option doesn’t mean he should be given the job.

The team should do something radical and sign a player that is actually good and move McKenna down to where he should be…if he’s on the team at all.

I know it’s asking for a lot for them to want to actually improve the product on the field but that’s what I’m doing.

It will be interesting to see what Fuller does with McKenna.   McKenna earned his way to the majors last year with his hitting at AAA.  But he couldn't hit the fastball in the majors.    That probably requires some adjustments from McKenna.  Maybe lay off the high pitch that he can't hit or maybe shorten his swing.    I am interested to see if McKenna can get better at the plate.

Just now, wildcard said:

It will be interesting to see what Fuller does with McKenna.   McKenna earned his way to the majors last year with his hitting at AAA.  But he couldn't hit the fastball in the majors.    That probably requires some adjustments from McKenna.  Maybe lay off the high pitch that he can't hit or maybe shorten his swing.    I am interested to see if McKenna can get better at the plate.

Probably the same that Holt did with the pitchers.

These guys aren’t miracle workers despite what you think.

And besides, even if he does miraculously get better, so what?  The team shouldn’t be counting on that and should be looking to get better.  Chances are there will be plenty of at bats to go around.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And besides, even if he does miraculously get better, so what?  The team shouldn’t be counting on that and should be looking to get better.  Chances are there will be plenty of at bats to go around.

I think Elias is more likely to give chances to his prospects so they can develop.   McKenna will turn 25 in Feb.  and has had limited chances in the majors.   I think he gets more chances before they realigate him to a 5th OFer role.

Stewart is frustrating to watch in the outfield and is probably a DH. He can exist in RF if need be; anyone can be tolerated on D if they are producing at the plate. This is where I feel Elias wants to give Stewart a little bit more rope to see if his obp and power tools can play. He's had the injury bug, has been very streaky, and his avg has been near Mendoza line at times. However, those hot streaks have been en Fuego when they happen. If Mancini is traded or leave for free agency, Stewart could slide into the dh role for a couple years if he can stay above .800 ops.

I think Mateo would be a good super utility candidate and could get starts in the OF.

McKenna is valuable as pinch run, 5th of, late innings defense replacement type, but if they want to see if he can develop into more, he probably starts at AAA to get consistent ABs.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Elias is more likely to give chances to his prospects so they can develop.   McKenna will turn 25 in Feb.  and has had limited chances in the majors.   I think he gets more chances before they realigate him to a 5th OFer role.

Since Elias and the Os have zero interest in winning or putting a good product on the field, i agree with this.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Since Elias and the Os have zero interest in winning or putting a good product on the field, i agree with this.

Elias may fool you and add some players after the lockout is over.  But if he does I think they will be pitchers not outfielders.

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If you sign a 4th OF, McKenna likely goes back to AAA where he OPS'd over 1.000.  He needs to sink or swim at the ML level.  There's only one way to find out.  Even a contender would probably ride with McKenna.  No reason for the Orioles not to.