(Edit: Orioles get 1st pick after walkoff homer by Diamondbacks)

Greenpastures23

On 8/17/2021 at 12:42 AM, ShoelesJoe said:

The Orioles have played two fewer games than the Diamondbacks, and yet our run differential is 35 runs worse. We've played (as of this writing) one fewer game than the Pirates, and we're 28 runs worse than they are. Likewise we've had one less game than the Rangers, and we're still 66 runs worse than they've been. 

I don't think there's any doubt at this point who is the worst team in baseball this year. 

Since they are getting worse, I won't argue the point of clearly being the worst this year, but man this is a brutal 2 week result.

Run differential full season - minus 218 over 118 games (outscored on average 1.85 runs per game).

Current stretch - minus 86 over 13 (outscored on average by 6.62 per game)

Rest of season - minus 132 over 105 games (outscored 1.25 per game)

They certainly are playing the worst right now, but that run differential is massively shifted by the last 2 weeks.  Shift the losing streak to season average (1.85 runs) and we'd gain ~62 runs back.  Not how it works, but this quite a negative stretch.

Very tough stretch indeed.  The schedule doesn’t do them any favors either.  They are basically non competitive right now.  The last time the team was this demoralized was 2018.  Let’s see how they do when they come home against the Braves and Angels.  Both are still fighting for playoffs spots and I’m sure are looking for a boost against us.  Somehow some way we have to pull this together and finish the season at least looking competitive.

3 hours ago, fitzi22 said:

Very tough stretch indeed.  The schedule doesn’t do them any favors either.  They are basically non competitive right now.  The last time the team was this demoralized was 2018.  Let’s see how they do when they come home against the Braves and Angels.  Both are still fighting for playoffs spots and I’m sure are looking for a boost against us.  Somehow some way we have to pull this together and finish the season at least looking competitive.

Why do we "have to" finish the season on an uptick? I'd like to see that; you would like to see that; some of those who post on here would like to see that, and some would not.

The management of the Orioles apparently would not like to see that, or at least doesn't care how the team does over the last 44 games. I imagine management would be unhappy with a 57-game losing streak to finish the season, but I'm not certain about even that.

It seems to me the benefits of achieving the 1st overall pick next year outweigh any potential "feel-good" benefits of finishing with an improved performance from a wins standpoint.

I'll be kinda upset actually if we miss out by just a couple of games and we win the last 6 in a row or whatever.

I mean, my solution to the despair of watching them losing every night is to just stop watching the games and focus on the minor leagues.  But I recognize not everyone wants to do that.

3 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Why do we "have to" finish the season on an uptick? I'd like to see that; you would like to see that; some of those who post on here would like to see that, and some would not.

The management of the Orioles apparently would not like to see that, or at least doesn't care how the team does over the last 44 games. I imagine management would be unhappy with a 57-game losing streak to finish the season, but I'm not certain about even that.

Yes I would rather this team pull it together and look competitive in games again.  I would much rather see us lose 4-3 than take another 10-0 shlacking.  I don’t think the 1-1 means all that much to Elias other than his allotment is bigger.  The last 2 drafts we could have picked anywhere in the top 10 and still ended up with the same results.  The ownership simply wants to cut as much money from the team as possible for obvious reasons.  And in the end general competitiveness at the mlb level disappears.  I can hope but I’m not sure how much good it will do.

On 8/13/2021 at 12:28 PM, Frobby said:

How are they going to be the worst Orioles team ever?   They’d have to go 9-40 the rest of the season to be as bad as  the 2018 team.  

I do think it’s pretty amazing that there is a team worse than us, though.   Maybe two, depending on how things go for Texas the rest of the way.   

This didn't age well lol

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Arizona only 1 game back in the loss column but they have several More wins due to more games played.

Texas and Pitt aren’t too far off either. Amazing that you have a 14 and 19 game losing streak, are only winning 31% of your games and you still are teetering on picking 4th.

www.tankathon.com/mlb

Our lead is only 2.5 games right now.  We definitely can't afford to be complacent with over 30 games to go still.   Hopefully they still keep their eyes on the prize.   Our divisional schedule will definitely help.  Still have series left with KC, PHI, and TEX though.