Should the O's be considering 3B/2B Josh Harrison this off season?

wildcard

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

He was signed for 1 year/800k. At that price I don't think you are expecting more than replacement level. We got slightly less than that in a year that didn't matter.  If you find that infuriating I don't know what to say. Iglesias exceeded his salary level so you win some and lose some like any risky investment. 

Oh I wasn’t necessarily complaining, I was just asking about the logic. If they expect him to be terrible, I see no point to the signing, because we’ve got plenty of terrible guys have our own. If it was just a warm body signing, with no expectations at all, that’s fine. However it does bring up the question of why he remained for so long.

Several people have pointed out that Mike doesn’t have much of a transaction track record yet, but most of his FA signings have focused on cost above all else. It will be more revealing to see what he does this off-season.

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Henderson, Westburg, Dorrian are probably a year away.  The O's need help at 3B.   So a short term FA/trade looks in order this off season.

Harrison is 34,  will be a FA this offseason.  Was on a one year, one million contract this year. He has played 134 games with a   760 OPS so he probably get more next year but probably on the one year contract.   1/2 or 3m may do it.   

Is Harrison the kind of player that Elias is likely to acquire for a year until the prospects are ready?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/harrijo05.shtml

Dorrian lol. 

He’s as good as any. I’d prefer we bring in Galvis or Iglesias since they can play SS, but this is what to expect in FA this year. 

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

Henderson, Westburg, Dorrian are probably a year away.  The O's need help at 3B.   So a short term FA/trade looks in order this off season.

Harrison is 34,  will be a FA this offseason.  Was on a one year, one million contract this year. He has played 134 games with a   760 OPS so he probably get more next year but probably on the one year contract.   1/2 or 3m may do it.   

Is Harrison the kind of player that Elias is likely to acquire for a year until the prospects are ready?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/harrijo05.shtml

Love him, great thought and yes! Love your analysis.He’s exactly the kinda player you target and get some SP! What do you think he will actually target there on the SP front?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think Harrison is likely to be significantly better    I’ve always liked the guy.   He’s versatile and seems like a very good teammate.   

Also you may be forgetting just how bad Franco was this year.  -1.6 rWAR in less than 2/3 of a season (104 G, 404 PA).  That’s worse that Chris Davis was in a similar amount of playing time in 2019 (-1.1 rWAR, 105 G, 352 PA).

Yeah, bad. And he’s a horrible defender at 3B.

48 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Love him, great thought and yes! Love your analysis.He’s exactly the kinda player you target and get some SP! What do you think he will actually target there on the SP front?

Its early.  Hard to know.  Its hard to sign a quality FA starter to come to Camden Yards.   And Expensive.   My guess right now would be that Elias trades Mancini or Santander for a starter.   But its too early to bet on it.

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

Its early.  Hard to know.  Its hard to sign a quality FA starter to come to Camden Yards.   And Expensive.   My guess right now would be that Elias trades Mancini or Santander for a starter.   But its too early to bet on it.

I think any value that potential trade value that Mancini or Santander once had has evaporated. Both players put together were worth less than 1 rWAR this year, neither is a good defender, both raise questions of durability. What kind of SP could you expect for that… Bundy? Mike Wright? Nothing very useful. 

15 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

I think any value that potential trade value that Mancini or Santander once had has evaporated. Both players put together were worth less than 1 rWAR this year, neither is a good defender, both raise questions of durability. What kind of SP could you expect for that… Bundy? Mike Wright? Nothing very useful. 

Its a good point.  Both took a hit on their trade value this season.   My guess would be the trade would be with some team that is doing a salary dump.  Like the Astros did with Verlander and Greinke only probably not as high profile.  I think the O's will go 2/30m with the other team eating the rest of the contract.

2 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

I think any value that potential trade value that Mancini or Santander once had has evaporated. Both players put together were worth less than 1 rWAR this year, neither is a good defender, both raise questions of durability.

It’s a decent point, but I haven’t given up on Santander. He was shopped coming into this season, but it’s unfortunate the way his season has unfolded. The injury hasn’t helped, but he is capable of solid play defensively and is more athletic than Mancini. 

I’ll be disappointed if TM becomes a sentimental pick to return, but I guess worse things have happened.