Trying to figure out AM

bigbird

I have no doubt that Peter Angelos has wanted to win for some time. Otherwise, why put out statements, three years ago that we're going to be right on the heels of the Red Sox and Yankees or right in their faces? Why promise three years ago that we will acquire the players we need to be successful? Why we're supposed to believe that this year he really, really means it, as opposed to all of his past promises, I don't know.

Hello. I've been expecting you!;)

I really know where you are coming from, and I don't blame you.

Hopefully you and many of the rest of us will be happy by the end of the offseason.

The "Believe it when I see it" saying is very much an accepted view.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know that you do, Bigbird. I also know why you are having a hard time believing it. It's been 11 years. Though AM clearly stated today that we won't be a playoff team next year, he didn't say we would be in year 12 of losing.

I am really trying to not get into why I feel confident, like I have in years past. Partly because I don't want to get into trouble with my guy, as well as the board, and partly because I don't want to jinx things. I will just reiterate that PGA is getting older and he wants to win NOW.

Thanks for what you have said. I wouldn't want you to take the conversation farther. No need. Lets hope your "gut";) is right!

Huh? So he should have taken a good pitcher and a few throw-ins for Roberts, weak offers for Huff and Sherrill and anything at all for Hernandez? And not doing so means he made a Thrift-like mistake?

I don't get it. You seem to be advocating a fire sale that's more concerned with dumping salary then getting anything of significance back in return.

No offense, but he can give players away at any time. I can agree that it'd be awesome to trade all of those guys for a nice return, but I'm not at all convinced that we were ever presented with a return that was worth trading any of the four.

Either way, I hope he is all in this year. However, if he's not, that doesn't make him Sid Thrift.

The rumored Indian offer for Roberts (including Perlata) was a pretty decent return for a guy you're set to lose via free agency soon. Millege for Hernandez I'd take every day of the week.

Hello. I've been expecting you!;)

I really know where you are coming from, and I don't blame you.

Hopefully you and many of the rest of us will be happy by the end of the offseason.

The "Believe it when I see it" saying is very much an accepted view.

We'll see. I just don't get this he wants to win NOW argument. As opposed to when? Turning 80 is the key, not 79, or 78 or 77.................?

The rumored Indian offer for Roberts (including Perlata) was a pretty decent return for a guy you're set to lose via free agency soon. Millege for Hernandez I'd take every day of the week.

Fair enough. I guess my retort is that beauty is obviously in the eye of the beerholder. :new_beer:

Jhonny Peralta just doesn't excite me and as far as I know the rest of that offer was very average. I admit I don't remember all of the players, only that Miller supposedly wasn't involved.

And I don't think McPhail or many other GMs wanted Milledge. I totally understand why you think we should have done that though. Potential may very well have been worth it. Still, I'm not mourning the fact that we didn't do either deal.

Fair enough. I guess my retort is that beauty is obviously in the eye of the beerholder. :new_beer:

Jhonny Peralta just doesn't excite me and as far as I know the rest of that offer was very average. I admit I don't remember all of the players, only that Miller supposedly wasn't involved.

And I don't think McPhail or many other GMs wanted Milledge. I totally understand why you think we should have done that though. Potential may very well have been worth it. Still, I'm not mourning the fact that we didn't do either deal.

To unload Hernandez I would have taken a pile of dog crap.

Hopefully we will have a good idea in the next month or so. I do think we are going all in. I would like to believe that we will see a significant improvement.

Just a reminder....PGA wants to win NOW!

Did he not want to win before?

How many quotes have we seen from him over the years talking about this being the year?

What was the one a few years ago?

Something like, this time it will literally come true?

I know that you do, Bigbird. I also know why you are having a hard time believing it. It's been 11 years. Though AM clearly stated today that we won't be a playoff team next year, he didn't say we would be in year 12 of losing.

I am really trying to not get into why I feel confident, like I have in years past. Partly because I don't want to get into trouble with my guy, as well as the board, and partly because I don't want to jinx things. I will just reiterate that PGA is getting older and he wants to win NOW.

Good call, Belkast. Its not about what is said this year, words are cheap. Lets see what actually gets done - if you are happy with what your source told you, signs are positive and thats all we need to hear right now.

Bingo... a three year supply of those. I believe there were planning on giving those away on Tuesday night games :D

Maybe that's what I mean when I say PGA wants to win now. We'll have 'shroom nights at the yard and the fans will see some crazy things, including wins, Tex, AJ, Earl, Cal, Brooks, and Jim. That's a pretty good strategy.

Oh....Wrong Shrooms?????:D

Archived