The Rays

Just Regular

So, what do folks guess/suppose they know that the other 29 teams don't?

I see Jordan Luplow and his 100 career innings at 1B starting in Game 1 of the playoffs to Roenicke up Eduardo Rodriguez, so there we go on 1B defense.

Every year they seem to find a way to keep Kevin Kiermaier's bat afloat enough to enjoy the glove.

13 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I see Jordan Luplow and his 100 career innings at 1B starting in Game 1 of the playoffs to Roenicke up Eduardo Rodriguez, so there we go on 1B defense.

Every year they seem to find a way to keep Kevin Kiermaier's bat afloat enough to enjoy the glove.

They know how much Montreal will pay to share a team.

On 10/7/2021 at 9:15 PM, Just Regular said:

Today they kept Luplow in for the grand slam homer and then let Choi have the rest of the game at first, including his own home run, too.

Hat tip @SilverRocket for the find.

Having watched the video now, the whole Unique to League bit reminded me some of Michael Lewis rhapsodizing an entire chapter about Chad Bradford for one guy like this, before Trackman was in every minor league park, and the algorithm could find a team of them.

I would guess many of them as 26-week big leaguers might struggle to have the Brach 2017 year (never mind star 2015-2016 Brach).   if you were sentimentally inclined to get attached to nuggets, or anything inefficient like that.

I enjoyed the Red Sox making a series of it.   My ability to hair split rivalry feelings is less than the fun of hopefully getting to Game 5's this week, and Game 7's later on.    All the GM's assure me the coin flips aren't what really matters anyway.

Continuing in the vein of jotting down Rates and Barrels podcast notes, it said there Friday morning that the Giants, Rays, Astros and Brewers are four clubs with pitching machines with some ability to mimic opponent's starter that day.

We all know TTOP, and Rhapsodos make pitches just data.   Lord knows the mechanical engineering at MacGyver'ing something with adjustable release points, able to put X spin/spin efficiency and Y speed on a baseball*, then send it to Location Z aligning with Walker Buehler's heat map etc, but that's probably a teaching tool worth millions that doesn't count anywhere towards the luxury tax.

32-year-old Tommy La Stella and his 102 career OPS+ hit leadoff for the 107-win Giants last night.    Also on a 3-0 pitch after all of them were a foot or more outside, Buster Posey swung on pitch 4 on the outer half and hit it into McCovey Cove.    I believe I have heard Jim Palmer say Joe Morgan apologized to him one time he hit a HR on a 3-0 pitch.

I know Buck Britton and Ryan Fuller are mixing up their pitches in Baysox batting practice and all, but think/hope Sig and friends are hunting the big game.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/07/12/how-as-matt-olson-flipped-his-dismal-2020-into-an-all-star-berth-failure-is-the-best-teacher/

Olson turned to a little red machine, costing no more than $100, that infielder La Stella brought with him from the Los Angeles Angels when the A’s traded for him in mid-2020. The machine spits out rubber, dimpled baseball-sized balls* that simulate high spin rates. Getting jammed on a rubber ball didn’t hurt like it would on a standard machine, so Olson could go to his game swing every time without concern. Olson found he was starting to stay through the zone longer.

*(or baseball-sized spheroid, apparently)

• Upvote 2

Like JustRegular posted above, and AGAIN with the Rays... pitching pitching pitching pitching pitching.

Yes, their Pen imploded last night in what was essentially a bullpen game? (I had the sound off.) Still, they always have the arms and just enough offense.

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Like JustRegular posted above, and AGAIN with the Rays... pitching pitching pitching pitching pitching.

Yes, their Pen imploded last night in what was essentially a bullpen game? (I had the sound off.) Still, they always have the arms and just enough offense.

?

They were second in runs scored in 2021.  A whopping six runs behind the Astros.  They scored 198 more runs than the O's.

On baserunning and the market inefficiency of not attempting steals of home enough against the hottest October pitchers 2 outs, man on third.    Easier these days to steal home then get a 2-out single to pick up a duck.

Rays and Yankees this year, this contrast:

Yankees Bats xwOBA 6th in MLB = 711 Runs

Rays Bats xwOBA 16th in MLB = 857 Runs

Baserunning (for profit, at least) correlates with speed, and then the classic speed never slumps, etc.

Baserunning runs - team stats - Fangraphs gives TBR +11.2, NYY -15.1

11 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I guess there was nothing in The Extra 2% about Hunter Renfroe's backside, though.

I think those ground rules screwed the Rays.  

Bottom of 9th, man on 1st, can any outfielder chase a gapper and just throw it over the wall to keep it to 2nd and 3rd?

No that isn't the rule.

I also have zero sympathy for the Rays considering all the weirdness you see in their home park.

• 1 month later...