O's still in 3 way dance

bigbird

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, here is my outline of the four way deal with the Orioles and Phillies involved:

Four way deal outline:

Cubs get Peavy;

Padres get Vitters, Marshall, Cedeno, Olson and prospect;

Orioles get Felix Pie and Jason Donald;

Phillies get Luke Scott and Jason Marquis (Cubs pay half of salary)

To me it seems like a pretty good trade all around.

I do. As I stated in another thread. I think if the Phillies and Orioles are involved in the Peavy deal, I think Olson goes to the Cubs and we get Pie. Luke Scott is sent to the Phillies and in return the Orioles get Donald. The Phillies also take Marquis from the Cubs to replace Moyer.
Roch now says that the Orioles are not part of Peavy deal. He is saying it is a straight Pie for Olson deal with the Cubs, who may flip Olson.
If the Orioles are an extra team in the Jake Peavy trade, that's news to them.

From what I've been told, they haven't agreed to any deal that would allow the Padres to send pitcher Jake Peavy to the Cubs. The Orioles are rumored to be involved, along with the Phillies, with the assumption that left-hander Garrett Olson goes to the Cubs for outfielder Felix Pie.

The Olson/Pie talks are real. However, the Orioles got dragged into the Peavy rumor after Padres general manager Kevin Towers indicated that a trade was completed with the Cubs, as long as they agreed to absorb the right-hander's contract. Towers was waiting to hear back from Chicago general manager Jim Hendry.

For that deal to work, the Orioles seemingly have to part with Olson, who would be flipped to the Padres. But a team official said if the Padres announce a trade early tomorrow, the Orioles aren't involved in it.

http://masnsports.com/index_blog_roch.html

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/1320852,CST-SPT-cub09.article

Cubs and Baltimore Orioles sources confirmed that one element of the deal is virtually set, with the Cubs sending outfield prospect Felix Pie to the Orioles for pitcher Garrett Olson, who would be shipped to San Diego in the Peavy swap. A second team, believed to be the Philadelphia Phillies, also could help beef up the package of prospects. The Phils reportedly have interest in Cubs utilityman Mark DeRosa.

This just ran 12 minutes ago.

Four way deal outline:

Cubs get Peavy;

Orioles get Felix Pie and Luke Donald;

I really like that deal but I just don't think the Phillies are interested in Marquis. I'd take Marquis off their hands and give him to the O's and have the O's give a low level prospect like 20-30 range to the Phils. Would that make sense?

Roch now says that the Orioles are not part of Peavy deal. He is saying it is a straight Pie for Olson deal with the Cubs, who may flip Olson.

http://masnsports.com/index_blog_roch.html

That is not correct. Roch is stating IF the deal is announced tomorrow, THEN the Orioles aren't part of it. No one said the deal was going to be announced tomorrow. Most people are stating this deal will probably get done by Thursday, if it does happen at all.

From Roch:

"If the Orioles are an extra team in the Jake Peavy trade, that's news to them.

From what I've been told, they haven't agreed to any deal that would allow the Padres to send pitcher Jake Peavy to the Cubs. The Orioles are rumored to be involved, along with the Phillies, with the assumption that left-hander Garrett Olson goes to the Cubs for outfielder Felix Pie.

The Olson/Pie talks are real. However, the Orioles got dragged into the Peavy rumor after Padres general manager Kevin Towers indicated that a trade was completed with the Cubs, as long as they agreed to absorb the right-hander's contract. Towers was waiting to hear back from Chicago general manager Jim Hendry.

For that deal to work, the Orioles seemingly have to part with Olson, who would be flipped to the Padres. But a team official said if the Padres announce a trade early tomorrow, the Orioles aren't involved in it."

Four way deal outline:

Cubs get Peavy;

Fixed that for ya. I never correct people cause I'm never sure if I'm actually correct myself, but I'm pretty sure it's Jason Donald from the Phils.

I really like that deal but I just don't think the Phillies are interested in Marquis. I'd take Marquis off their hands and give him to the O's and have the O's give a low level prospect like 20-30 range to the Phils. Would that make sense?

I'm not sure which team (Phillies or Orioles) have interest in Marquis. If the Cubs are willing to pay half his salary I would gladly take him.

Sounds like it's set.

Before the meetings began, sources said the five players the Cubs would give up in the deal were Pie to the Orioles and left-hander Sean Marshall, shortstop Ronny Cedeno, third-base prospect Josh Vitters and right-hander Kevin Hart to the Padres. The bottom line is Towers must work a Peavy deal this week, and his primary focus is the Cubs.

Again, here is my outline of the four way deal with the Orioles and Phillies involved:

Four way deal outline:

Cubs get Peavy;

This is the direction we should be heading. I do think we have the ingredients to make a deal with Philly for Donald work. If not for Scott, we have some depth in minor league pitching to deal from. It's going to be tough to fit Guthrie, Olson, Liz, Albers, Patton, Matusz, Tillman, Arrieta, Hernandez, Bergesen, Berken, Erbe, Spoone, Penn into our 2011 5 man rotation. Two or three of those guys (excluding the big three and Guthrie) should be tradeable if it fills an obvious need like Donald would.

Archived