C.C to the Yanks.... does this hurt us?

Dirtyburnie

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Moose has just been realistic this entire off-season, like a lot of us have. Maybe the Orioles will surprise us but most likely we won't get Tex. If the Yankees make back to back splashes like Sabathia and Lowe you have to believe Boston breaks the bank.

Now maybe the Orioles and Nats can outbid the Red Sox if we share Tex? We each pay half his salary he switches off teams every other day. But Tex is a guarantee to take us to the playoffs, I guess he'd do the same for the Nats so I guess the post season could get sort of tricky :laughlol:

Really though, I hope we are still in there bidding on Tex and I assume we are, but the news of late makes it seem like Boston is going to go all out here.

Thank ya sir.

8600786_400x400.jpg

They may STILL sign Burnett, Lowe and Sheets, AND Tex. I hate to be a killjoy, but the MFYs are ON it this year! I am convinced.

There is a silver lining to this. There is zero chance that CC will pitch 7 years, the shape he is in, the yankees will be lucky to get 4 total seasons out of him.

And Burnett is even worse, its like the Yankess thought to themselves who can we get thats just like Pavano without actually being named Pavano. Even the Yankees will not give Sheets more than 2 years. Tex is a really solid player, and hopefully we can sign him, buts its not like he is a once in a lifetime talent more will come along.

The Yankees are wasting money on players who will not help them for half of there contracts.

This is how we compete, by outsmarting idiots with cash. Which , of course, we hadn't been doing for 10 years but that's another story.

What is the Nats budget? Can they compete economically with the O's? Wondering if they realistically could pay an absurd amount for him and still afford to put together a winner like I think we could.

It would be awesome if the Nats signed him actually. (assuming we don't first). Because he would then be in the NL. He will also be like the Rangers and A-Rod a few years back where 40% of there budget went to one player and would become just anouther example of player going for the most cash, instread of the best fit.

This thread just shows how badly MLB needs to implement a salary cap.
So true, the economy is getting bailed out and here baseball owners are tossing money aound like it noting.:angryfire:

Why? The Rays made the World Series last year on a small payroll. The A's and Twins have done pretty well. Not to mention this Marlins team is getting ready to reload and make a serious run. The Orioles problem goes back to terrible development over the past eleven years not a salary cap. This is silly. The only way you are going to get Tex at this point if you are the birds is to overpay him, because if he wants to win at all he is going to go to Boston (which is legitimate whether they trade Lowell or not) Anaheim, the Yanks, or even the Nationals.

All four of those teams have better chances to win in the next few than the Orioles. If the Yanks sign lets say Burnett and Lowe also they are going to have an amazing rotation. Tex might take a little less at that point to go get titles. THen there is Boston who already has the pieces in play. They are appearently the frontrunners for Tex. THe Angels play in such a weak division and have tons of cash and now that they have lost out on CC they can throw more money at him. Even the Nationals have a better chance of winning based on the fact that they play in the NL East which is not the best division around.

We however are stuck behind the best young team in baseball that will only be better the next few years, the team with the sneakiest pitching in the AL, the and the Yanks and Sox.. This was not a good day for the Orioles, it would have been MUCH better for him to go to the West Coast.

This is good news for the O's, I think. The Yankees won't be pursuing Teixeira now, so that is the biggest financial competition out of the way.

CC was always going to sign with the Yankees, so this shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody.

I also think this will temper the Yankees interest in one of Lowe or Burnett, so we'll see who they focus on the most after this. If its Lowe, it makes us easier to land Burnett. I think we can put an offer out there that will at least make him think about coming here or going to ATL for more money. I don't think we could have been close enough to compete with the Yankees dollars on Burnett though.

I don't think Sabathia signing means Tex will sign right away, but I do think that we'll see the other top pitchers sign somewhere pretty quickly.

This may already be posted somewhere, but yes, if the Yanks go after Lowe, then it may give us a better shot at Burnett - or atleast the competitition will be reduced, you would think.

Yanks making an offer to Lowe?

This is good news for the O's, I think. The Yankees won't be pursuing Teixeira now, so that is the biggest financial competition out of the way.

CC was always going to sign with the Yankees, so this shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody.

I also think this will temper the Yankees interest in one of Lowe or Burnett, so we'll see who they focus on the most after this. If its Lowe, it makes us easier to land Burnett. I think we can put an offer out there that will at least make him think about coming here or going to ATL for more money. I don't think we could have been close enough to compete with the Yankees dollars on Burnett though.

I don't think Sabathia signing means Tex will sign right away, but I do think that we'll see the other top pitchers sign somewhere pretty quickly.

I can't believe the knee-jerk reactions to this deal. Mackus has it right IMO...this is good for the Orioles' chances of getting both Tex and Burnett.

Also, why is everyone just assuming that Boston has to "1-up" the Yankees? Is there any evidence of this behavior? Boston is one smart organization. I really doubt they do what it takes to sign Tex when they don't have a pressing need at first. Tex made much more sense for the Yankees.

Wang, Chamberlain and Hughes...Talk they want Pettitte back as well.

So, I doubt they would sign AJ.

I think there rotation is going to look like this

Sabathia

Wang

Lowe

Burnett/Sheets

Chamberlin

They will probably use Hughes and Kennedy in a trade to get someone (Feilder)

Wang, Chamberlain and Hughes...Talk they want Pettitte back as well.

So, I doubt they would sign AJ.

No way they sign all three, which could help us get back in the Burnett sweepstakes. The next big play the Yankees will make is on Manny Ramirez. If this does happen, then I really fear the Red Sox pushing hard for Teixeira.

Says the Yankees plan on signing 3 of Sabathia/Burnett/Lowe/Sheets. One down.

The one guy on that list I'd like to see kept away from the MFYankees (and Boston and any other team except for the O's) is Ben Sheets. He still can be very, very good. Wish the Birds would go after him.

In fact, make the Pie trade, sign Sheets and Dunn (to go with It at shortstop), and then call it an offseason - keep building up the young guys.

Damn, I should be a GM.

The one guy on that list I'd like to see kept away from the MFYankees (and Boston and any other team except for the O's) is Ben Sheets. He still can be very, very good. Wish the Birds would go after him.

In fact, make the Pie trade, sign Sheets and Dunn (to go with It at shortstop), and then call it an offseason - keep building up the young guys.

Damn, I should be a GM.

Lol. You and everyone else on this site. :D

Doesn't change anything. Whether it's the Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Sox, Yellow Sox -- the Orioles are going to have to bid the same amount of hundreds of millions to get Tex. The Red Sox are too good of an overall franchise to have this knee jerk reaction that we must out-do the Yankees. They have stable leadership from the top to the bottom, they're above this. If it had been the Red Sox landing CC, I'd say we have no shot at Tex or Burnett.

Archived