C.C to the Yanks.... does this hurt us?

Dirtyburnie

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it hurt us?? We finished 5th..is there a 6th place??? The O's will always need a perfect storm to win the ALE and a near perfect storm to make the wild card. The O's have to outsmart them and out scout them. The Yanks and the Sox will always be like Congress and spew money out which will always make them competitive. It's a reality..let's hope the Yanks get old and are stuck with an old team, injuries, huge contracts and a 25 man roster with no room to maneuver. There could be a learning curve for Hal and Hank, the next generation kids are seldom as smart as the original.

Does it hurt us?? We finished 5th..is there a 6th place??? The O's will always need a perfect storm to win the ALE and a near perfect storm to make the wild card. The O's have to outsmart them and out scout them. The Yanks and the Sox will always be like Congress and spew money out which will always make them competitive. It's a reality..let's hope the Yanks get old and are stuck with an old team, injuries, huge contracts and a 25 man roster with no room to maneuver. There could be a learning curve for Hal and Hank, the next generation kids are seldom as smart as the original.

It hurts us, and everyone, because it sets the market high. Competitiveness is almost secondary to that right now.

Well, Tampa is definitely the model we may be shooting for, because it seems very clear that we're not going to compete financially with the Sox and Yanks.

Like you are saying, though, the Rays were able to get the first pick in the draft quite a few times, and they have built almost entirely off their own organization. They've made smart acquisitions like Pena (:angryfire:) and some smart trades.

I'm beginning to think we may be better off not signing Tex, trading Roberts and just continuing the rebuild process.

Personally, I think we're closer than that, but that is an entirely valid point. I think we could continue to trade and develop the minors, as Andy did do deftly in the Ramon deal. :) Freel is.... Freel. A good piece. But the two MiLers we got interest me even more! Deep depth. Young A and AA talent! *drool*

My point is Andy keeps adding depth to the Minor League system, while at the same time it seems the addition of a Tex, and a couple starters and the Major League system is full on go as well.

Roberts as well seems a major priority to me. Sure he competently holds down 2nd base, but a leadoff hitter such as him, who just dominates pitchers once he gets on base, steals almost at will, you can't replace that.

And Roberts is a major factor in my thinking the quicker (not quick) fix is the way to go. For all our ineptness, we DO have some special pieces. Roberts, Kakes, Adam Jones, Wieters, I'm pretty high on Luke Scott, Freel is some nice depth and flexibility, Izturis will be solid enough, Huff seems to be back on form... for now, Mora doesn't hurt us.

Transition all that two or three years down the road, when we have Arrietta, Tillman, Spoon etc. etc. on the mound, I see a Renaissance.

I know a lot disagree with this way of thinking, but I don't care how much we improve development, scouting and drafting, we will never compete in the AL east.

Then explain to me how Tampa just won the AL East. Do you not think they are positioned to compete for the next several years at least? Explain to me why, if Tampa can do it, any other team couldn't?

By the way, Onley said they C.C deal is 7ry 160mil:eek::rofl::eektf:

I think NY would have done better by signing Burnett/Lowe and Sheets for less than what Sabathia is going to get. Anyone think that that Sabathia deal just helped AJ Burnett/Lowe land $100 Million deals or Sheets land a $50 Million deal.

Even though Teixeira is a hitter the market has been established. I would now expect a 8/160 to be made to Mark.

Then explain to me how Tampa just won the AL East. Do you not think they are positioned to compete for the next several years at least? Explain to me why, if Tampa can do it, any other team couldn't?

Yeah, TB is loaded with prospects from losing and drafting well for the last 6 years. Just think if the Rays would not have released Hamilton? :eektf: They are a great model of how to rebuild on the cheap. The Rays, Yankees, and Sox should be good for the next 5 years. I expect us to slip in the mix come 2011. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Several years? Maybe. Until NY and Bos use them as a buffet table.

I guess I was venting and should have been clearer. We'll never be able to put together a long stretch where we compete over a numbers of years. We may be able to compete 3 or 4 years, then have to start over again.

Do you hear TB being mentioned in any FA discussions? They came close to be world champs, yet they can't go out and get that player to put them over the top. They are the defending AL champs, but by the time the winter meetings are done, on paper atleast, they may only be the 3rd best team in their division.

If you disagree, that's fine. But that's the way I feel about things as they stand.

Archived