Correa (Update, signs with Twins)

Yardball85

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

While we’re here, who’s Fermi? 

Enrico Fermi, a physicist who was instrumental in the creation of the atomic bomb and who once famously asked several of his fellow scientists "where are they?" in relation to extraterrestrials, whose presence he felt should be observable by now since Earth is a relative latecomer to the cosmic party, whether by radio waves or by direct physical contact with them or artifacts of theirs left behind in their travels, and in doing so created something called the Fermi Paradox, which has fascinated me since I was a teenager.

Sorry, you asked 😜

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I read through the 90 or so user comments and only 2 or 3 had anything to do with the Orioles, we are basically invisible lol.

They just added Donaldson and IKF to their infield mix with LeMahieu, Torres, and Rizzo, and Stanton and the rest their aging vets will need their DH ABs, which doesn't seem to leave much room for another everyday player.

I think he ends up either returning to Houston or signing with Minnesota after Boston signs Story and they get desperate enough to meet his asking price with the savings from trading Donaldson.

This assumes that Boras is foolish enough to allow him to accept a massively front-loaded arrangement, which I do not think he is. Those 2031 dollars are going to be borderline worthless at the rate inflation is going lol.

Are you kidding ….it would be no different than paying a football player a signing bonus. Either way Correa would be getting paid $350 million to play for the team for ten years. I can’t imagine why he wouldn’t want a chunk of money up front. 

$17.5 million is borderline worthless? Dude it’s not a $100,000 salary. $17.5 million would be enough money to care for himself and his children for the rest of their lives whether it’s now or ten years from now.Especially in the Dominican Republic.

2 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Enrico Fermi, a physicist who was instrumental in the creation of the atomic bomb and who once famously asked several of his fellow scientists "where are they?" in relation to extraterrestrials, whose presence he felt should be observable by now since Earth is a relative latecomer to the cosmic party, whether by radio waves or by direct physical contact with them or artifacts of theirs left behind in their travels, and in doing so created something called the Fermi Paradox, which has fascinated me since I was a teenager.

Sorry, you asked 😜

No, that’s actually pretty cool. I’ll check out more about him. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Are you kidding ….it would be no different than paying a football player a signing bonus. Either way Correa would be getting paid $350 million to play for the team for ten years. I can’t imagine why he wouldn’t want a chunk of money up front. 

$17.5 million is borderline worthless? Dude it’s not a $100,000 salary. $17.5 million would be enough money to care for himself and his children for the rest of their lives whether it’s now or ten years from now.Especially in the Dominican Republic.

The difference is, the NFL contract isn't guaranteed.

4 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I would not have given up a draft pick for 1 year (most likely) of Correa when we're going to lose at least 90 games this year with or without him.

Yeah, I wouldn't offer that deal either, since he's almost certainly going to opt out after a year and we're still at least that far away from being interesting. With no opt outs, I would have done it in a heartbeat though

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Damned Confederate money...

Our payroll got up to like $160-180 million under DD, I don't see any real reason to think Elias won't get at least a similar level of financial commitment from ownership once our window is open and the talent pipeline is pumping.

😂😂😂😂 Zero chance of anything close to that. Zero. Not until a new owner arrives. 

• Upvote 1

The idea that this isn’t a desirable place to play is part of the reason I wanted a guy like Adley up last year.  At some point, you have to start establishing winning but, more importantly, have to start showing the league that this organization has a lot of talent.

Who knows if Correa (or anyone else) would feel differently or not but this is all part of it.

I have my questions if that deal was ever offered and I get why he went the route he did. 

And btw, it wouldn’t surprise me if a deal was offered like that without the opt out or the opt out was later than he wanted.  They want the control and if you aren’t giving it theM, they could deem it to be a “bad contract” even if it is 300M.