Correa (Update, signs with Twins)

Yardball85

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

As much as I like Roch, he is the State Federation News Correspondent for the Orioles.  He's not going to float anything the club doesn't want him to mention.

And Elias runs a tight ship.    Whether it is Correa now or some other excellent player for 2023 or 2024, I don't imagine much will get out until something is done.   

That being said - it is easier to keep secrets if Jordan Lyles is your biggest fish, so TBD how quiet we'll run (or be able to run) when more is at play.    If it happened, I'll feel good Elias has a better read on Correa's buy-in than Brady had on Alex Cobb's.

Correa, Castellanos and Conforto - I wonder how near to OD they could sign and still be in the lineup.    21 days is still more than enough, but is 15?   8?    I bet a proven position player, it is still less than 8.

56 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Twins are supposedly looking for help on the left side.  There was a report they were in on Bryant initially.  I doubt Correa to Minny is in play but maybe that's a spot for Story.  🤷‍♂️

Aaron Gleeman had a piece the Twins opening moves only make sense if they are going for a splash, but they do have Heston Kjerstad's "I haven't played baseball in 2 years" parallel Royce Lewis theoretically the SS of the future.   

https://theathletic.com/3186413/2022/03/15/gleeman-twins-dumping-josh-donaldson-only-makes-sense-if-they-have-a-big-follow-up-move-coming/

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I don’t like this. You’re basically signing him for 4/180, unless he sucks or gets hurt. We’re unlikely to be a contender for at least 1 of those years. Then you’re giving him another 4/100 to be a drain on the payroll. 

Either way, you’re probably right that it doesn’t matter because we’ll need the best offer by far. 

I don’t care that we aren’t a contender in 2022.  To me, that’s a terrible reason to not sign a good player, especially if you are on the cusp of contending, which we should be.

And yea, I’m paying him a lot up front and then I’m hoping he leaves.  If he doesn’t, so be it but my premise there is that I’m hoping he does opt Out and we get the 4 best years of the contract.

7 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

If it happened, I'll feel good Elias has a better read on Correa's buy-in than Brady had on Alex Cobb's.

Considering Elias' role in Correa's career to this point I think it's almost a sure thing if he came to Baltimore there would be extensive trust in both directions.

If any of this is true (big if), then it smells like classic Boras using the Orioles to drive up the price for the actual suitor, the Astros. Which it sounds like it has if reports of Houston upping their offer are true. And eventually Correa will say, eh, that's enough I wanna have a spring training, and sign in Houston. 

I did really think the O's had a shot at one point, but with these recent Houston reports, ehhhh...

The Going Rate is the going rate.    Frankly if Correa ends at something like the ESPN/Fangraphs crowdsourcers guessed, and not at the ~20-40% above that many of the other Top 20 free agents got, I could buy an argument he's the best value in the Top 20.

I do believe his youth and glove give him like a 5-2 or 6-3 edge on Seager at years left at short, and occasionally guys do what Brandon Crawford has done.    I am sure if we have him 10+ years, his rest will be managed as well as art and science can.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t care that we aren’t a contender in 2022.  To me, that’s a terrible reason to not sign a good player, especially if you are on the cusp of contending, which we should be.

And yea, I’m paying him a lot up front and then I’m hoping he leaves.  If he doesn’t, so be it but my premise there is that I’m hoping he does opt Out and we get the 4 best years of the contract.

It’s one thing to not sign a guy to a 10 year contract because you’re not yet a contender. That is stupid. It’s another thing to give a guy what amounts to only a 4 year deal, at the highest AAV in history, when for at least one of these years you’re still going to suck. Then he has the added protection of 4/100 if he falls off a cliff or gets hurt. 

3 minutes ago, geschinger said:

Considering Elias' role in Correa's career to this point I think it's almost a sure thing if he came to Baltimore there would be extensive trust in both directions.

Elias' role in Correa's career is what's made him a fun windmill to tilt at for years, and at least so far still for today.   

Then maybe 1 more year if he wants to unseat Scherzer's AAV for funsies.    For the 2023 and on Orioles, Astros 1-year deal perhaps beats Orioles 10-year deal as a friendly outcome.

There might be 0.2% of the multiverses where Correa, Rutschman, Rodriguez, Hall and some traded for pitcher(s) are 2022 Orioles in game 10, and we see if the Red Sox and Yankees are moldy enough to leapfrog using all our best guys.    We'll get to see their mold regardless of the leapfrogging part.    Jays look like they are trying to go all Drago-Creed on them.

I kid you not, this was in this piece about why Correa makes sense to the Orioles: 

The same could be said of their bullpen as well. Baltimore has some solid pieces there as well, especially if Hunter Harvey can ever stay healthy. The bullpen, as with the rest of the roster, needs work, but it is not irreversibly broken.

https://calltothepen.com/2022/03/17/baltimore-orioles-pursuit-carlos-correa-makes-perfect-sense/

• Haha 1