Will Adley Rutschman be on the Opening Day roster?

Frobby

Will Adley Rutschman be on the Opening Day roster?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Will Adley Rutschman be on the Opening Day roster

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/06/22 at 02:19

From Roch:

Elias said Rutschman came into camp with “an inside track” to make the team prior to his injury, which came “at the exact worst moment possible.”

“As soon as he kind of returns to being a full-activity version of himself and we understand that his timing is back, I think he’s going to pick right back up where he left off, which was with a very clear shot to impact this team,” Elias said. “It really stinks that that happened, but could have been worse and he’s doing well. He was here working out today and things continue to be on a smooth upward path, but we’ve still got some benchmarks to check before sending him up to affiliated play.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/04/elias-on-roster-pitching-improvement-matt-harvey-and-more.html

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

My brother-in-law, who lives in Sherwood (Oregon, where AR grew up) and has coached in the same leagues as those Adley was in when he was younger, called to ask me if there was knowledge of Adley’s “serious” high school shoulder injury. I don’t know anything about that.

Surely when looking at drafting a guy 1-1, all of those things would be known, evaluated, and weighed against what he was able to do at the college level, right?

He only brought it up because of this triceps issue now, thinking it’s somehow related. 

Anyone ever heard anything about this?

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

Witt Jr. with the game winning hit.  We can't spend/compete like the Royals though.  That's crazy.

Witt is the first player in the modern era (I guess that means post-1900?) to have his first major league hit be a go ahead extra base hit in the 8th inning or later on Opening Day.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, justD said:

My brother-in-law, who lives in Sherwood (Oregon, where AR grew up) and has coached in the same leagues as those Adley was in when he was younger, called to ask me if there was knowledge of Adley’s “serious” high school shoulder injury. I don’t know anything about that.

Surely when looking at drafting a guy 1-1, all of those things would be known, evaluated, and weighed against what he was able to do at the college level, right?

He only brought it up because of this triceps issue now, thinking it’s somehow related. 

Anyone ever heard anything about this?

He hurt his shoulder as a Sophomore in HS, kept him from playing Quaterback that year.  He did play a few snaps at QB in his Junior season.  He also played at outside linebacker and strong safety that season.

I'm guessing here but I think that if the injury had been that bad the prior year he would have only kicked from then on.  If my main game is baseball I'm not suiting up at linebacker with a bum shoulder.

He also hasn't shown much of a problem in college or in his extended stay in the minors.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, milbest77 said:

You see the Rays locking up Wander, Pirates locking up Hayes, and Cleveland signing Ramirez. Yet, we continue to sit on our hands with Adley. It’s really sickening. I honestly have lost any remaining interest I had at this point in this franchise. Which is a shame. Like others here have stated, if they don’t care then why should I?

Very few players get locked up before they’ve played a bit in the majors.  An infinitesimal fraction, even among great prospects.  I don’t think the fact that the O’s haven’t extended Rutschman is a sign that they don’t care.   Besides, we don’t even know if Rutschman would be interested.   

I do hope the Orioles prove themselves adept at locking up talent long term and proving correct in knowing which players to lock up or not.  That’s a big part of being a top front office.  

• Upvote 1