Adley Rutschman 2022

Just Regular

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Btw, I also don’t think they were going to catch him for 3 straight days and then bring him up to where he’s catching for more.  It makes sense that they do it on a Tuesday, since they are off on Mondays.  So the 31st makes a lot of sense.

And zero sense all at the same time. He should be in Baltimore. This is absurd. Not getting absurd. Already absurd.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

And zero sense all at the same time. He should be in Baltimore. This is absurd. Not getting absurd. Already absurd.

When I say makes sense, I’m talking from the F’ed view of how the Os are handling this.  

No, it’s screwing him and the fans over but let’s face it, the organization doesn’t truly care about either.

I had thought that he was going to be part of the OD roster if healthy.  But now I have my doubts that was ever the case.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

At that point, why not wait a couple more days and save a few million by getting him past Super Two? Not that I agree with this, but seems like May 31 would be the worst of both worlds.

Contrary to some here, I really don't think Elias is worried about the Super 2.

I do hold out SOME hope that he could debut on the road. While it is NY and BOS, being on the road is somewhat low pressure to get his feet wet and then the O's can still market his home debut. And he'll have had a few ML games under his belt. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I do hold out SOME hope that he could debut on the road. While it is NY and BOS, being on the road is somewhat low pressure to get his feet wet and then the O's can still market his home debut. And he'll have had a few ML games under his belt. 

You don’t think on a team that is extremely money conscious that they don’t care about millions of dollars?

So why is he still down there?  Are you someone who believes he’s still not healthy?  Needs more time?

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I actually think that Elias is probably thinking that if he's already this delayed, might as well add another couple of weeks to avoid Super 2 issues. 

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You don’t think on a team that is extremely money conscious that they don’t care about millions of dollars?

So why is he still down there?  Are you someone who believes he’s still not healthy?  Needs more time?

I just tend to think the Super 2 is already factored into their budget. They knew the deal when they took Adley. I don't think they are looking to pinch pennies in every single area - in fact they've pumped a ton of money into areas that previously had no money. They're obviously money conscious, but I believe they have an idea of when that will no longer be the case to this extreme degree, and so Adley's future arbitration years will be during that time period, and it's likely he'll very much be worth the money. Anyway, just my opinion. 

No, I think he's healthy. I think the O's have an insanely strict rehab timeline with some ridiculous milestone checkboxes (like catching 3 straight games, twice, in AAA) that they want to see ticked. I don't agree with it. But what I'm saying is I believe it's more related to their crazy strict rehab timeline than money. It could be both, certainly. 

49 minutes ago, interloper said:

I just tend to think the Super 2 is already factored into their budget. They knew the deal when they took Adley. I don't think they are looking to pinch pennies in every single area - in fact they've pumped a ton of money into areas that previously had no money. They're obviously money conscious, but I believe they have an idea of when that will no longer be the case to this extreme degree, and so Adley's future arbitration years will be during that time period, and it's likely he'll very much be worth the money. Anyway, just my opinion. 

No, I think he's healthy. I think the O's have an insanely strict rehab timeline with some ridiculous milestone checkboxes (like catching 3 straight games, twice, in AAA) that they want to see ticked. I don't agree with it. But what I'm saying is I believe it's more related to their crazy strict rehab timeline than money. It could be both, certainly. 

Why would it be medically safer for him to build up to 3 straight in AAA as opposed to doing the exact same timeline with the Orioles? 

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I just have to laugh at it now because it wouldn’t surprise me if Elias is trolling the fans by stretching out AR’s promotion to MLB by a few weeks. 

I don’t really believe this, but it makes just as much sense for whatever reason Rutschman is still in the minor leagues.

The only legit reason why this is taking so long is Rutschman’s injury is more serious than we’ve been led to believe. And he needs this extra time in MILB to get ready for the grind of MLB baseball. 

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The only legit reason why this is taking so long is Rutschman’s injury is more serious than we’ve been led to believe. And he needs this extra time in MILB to get ready for the grind of MLB baseball. 

One could argue the grind of minor league baseball is tougher than the majors: the major league team has better medical staff and facilities, much better travel/lodging accommodations, nutrition, etc.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I just have to laugh at it now because it wouldn’t surprise me if Elias is trolling the fans by stretching out AR’s promotion to MLB by a few weeks. 

I don’t really believe this, but it makes just as much sense for whatever reason Rutschman is still in the minor leagues.

All objective data points to Adley being ready.  He isn't blocked by some great veteran in the majors.  All I can think is Elias/the O's want to avoid super 2 status and the risk of Adley being a top 2 (or is it 3) contender for the Rookie of the Year. 

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

All objective data points to Adley being ready.  He isn't blocked by some great veteran in the majors.  All I can think is Elias/the O's want to avoid super 2 status and the risk of Adley being a top 2 (or is it 3) contender for the Rookie of the Year. 

I hate these service time manipulation rules that incentivize (certain) teams to hold back their best prospects as long as possible before starting their MLB service clock. 

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I hate these service time manipulation rules that incentivize (certain) teams to hold back their best prospects as long as possible before starting their MLB service clock. 

The addition of draft pick compensation was enough for most teams.