2022 Orioles Prospects Power Rankings (Top 40)

Tony-OH

I've really liked watching Conner Loeprich pitch.  He had another good outing last night (2IP, 0H, 0ER, 0BB, 3K). Took notice of him in June, and looks like he's done pretty well in July and so far in August. 

Any thoughts on him? 

• Jun      ERA 1.27, BAA 176, WHIP 0.94
  • Jul       ERA 1.93, BAA 200, WHIP 1.18
  • Aug     ERA 1.23, BAA 192, WHIP 0.95

Yes, he's a reliever in AA. Still...

• Like 1

Isaac DeLeon is putting up some numbers lately. He started the season .192/.375/.297 (.672 OPS) thru June 25th, and has put up .298/.370/.511 (.881 OPS) since then. The influx of 2022 draftees might push him off 3B/SS and over to 1B, but his defensive numbers were pretty rough anyhow. Worked for Mountcastle. Will be interesting to see how he finishes the season. Seen in mentioned before, but he looks like he has a good amount of filling out to do. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, justD said:

I've really liked watching Conner Loeprich pitch.  He had another good outing last night (2IP, 0H, 0ER, 0BB, 3K). Took notice of him in June, and looks like he's done pretty well in July and so far in August. 

Any thoughts on him? 

• Jun      ERA 1.27, BAA 176, WHIP 0.94
  • Jul       ERA 1.93, BAA 200, WHIP 1.18
  • Aug     ERA 1.23, BAA 192, WHIP 0.95

Yes, he's a reliever in AA. Still...

Wow, I had no idea Loeprich had been doing that well over the last 2.5 months. He was so putrid early in the year that I simply haven’t paid any attention to him. His overall ERA is still a mediocre 4.68 despite 2.5 months of sub-2.00 ERA.   That tells you how bad he was early!  I wonder if he’s changed something significant or if it’s all just SSS stuff. 

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wow, I had no idea Loeprich had been doing that well over the last 2.5 months. He was so putrid early in the year that I simply haven’t paid any attention to him. His overall ERA is still a mediocre 4.68 despite 2.5 months of sub-2.00 ERA.   That tells you how bad he was early!  I wonder if he’s changed something significant or if it’s all just SSS stuff. 

First of all, great catch by JustD.  I hadn't noticed either.  We got him from the Pirates for international bonus slot money.  In 2018 he was strictly a reliever but he bounce back and forth between the rotation and the bullpen.  Could be that he has made the adjustment to being a reliever.  Just a guess.

Whatever the reason is, Kjerstad looks awful in Aberdeen.  I think it’s time to take him out of the top 10.  

I would probably go something like…

Gunnar

GRod

Holliday

Cowser

Mayo

Hall

Westburg

Basallo

Stowers

Norby 

Povich is right there with the last 3 or 4 guys on that list.  Could put those guys in any order.

Joseph Ortiz wants some love.  A 1.112 OPS in 23 games in July.  A .977 OPS in 13 games in August, which will be well over 1 after tonight as he’s got a 3-4 2 homer and a double game going on.  Has more walks than strikeouts this month.  The lowest strikeout rate by far of anyone in the top 10.   Everyone acknowledges that he’s the best defensive middle IF in the system.   Just turned 24 but COVID and a labrum surgery are a pretty good excuse.  Keith Law loved him before he went crazy this summer.  Can I get a “TOP TEN”!!?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Joseph Ortiz wants some love.  A 1.112 OPS in 23 games in July.  A .977 OPS in 13 games in August, which will be well over 1 after tonight as he’s got a 3-4 2 homer and a double game going on.  Has more walks than strikeouts this month.  The lowest strikeout rate by far of anyone in the top 10.   Everyone acknowledges that he’s the best defensive middle IF in the system.   Just turned 24 but COVID and a labrum surgery are a pretty good excuse.  Keith Law loved him before he went crazy this summer.  Can I get a “TOP TEN”!!?

Yeah, he's really looking like he's becoming a pretty legit prospect at this point...

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Whatever the reason is, Kjerstad looks awful in Aberdeen.  I think it’s time to take him out of the top 10.  

I would probably go something like…

Gunnar

GRod

Holliday

Cowser

Mayo

Hall

Westburg

Basallo

Stowers

Norby 

Povich is right there with the last 3 or 4 guys on that list.  Could put those guys in any order.

I like that you put Basallo up there. Ortiz will probably belong too.

On 7/28/2022 at 1:44 PM, RZNJ said:

I would go a little further than that.   I think if he finishes above .280 and gets the OPS over .800 that he's top 10.   To go from where he was .200 AVG, low .600 OPS, to over .280/.800 would mean a really strong 2nd half.    He's also the best defensive SS in system according to EVERYONE.   He's already over .250 and .700 and climbing.   

Average at .268. OPS at .791

The top group of NCAA bats could move fast. Beavers, Fabian, Wagner, and Young. There’s a legit argument to be made that Hall and GR should be our only pitchers in the top 20. 

I’m guessing Vespi won’t be prospect eligible for the next list. I think Carter Young will take the leap onto the bottom of the 40. 

It’s a fun time to be an O’s fan. Especially with all these bats. It’s just a matter of after seeing the new pitchers a bit and really seeing what we have. We have some guys here that are pitchers now that aren’t of the Easton Lucas/Kevin Smith variety. 

Ben Clemens was asked if Mateo would be the O’s SS in 2023.  He said yes and added something along the lines of “it’s not like the O’s have 75 SS prospects knocking down the door.”  Ok maybe not 75 but there’s a solid 5-10 making some noise.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Ben Clemens was asked if Mateo would be the O’s SS in 2023.  He said yes and added something along the lines of “it’s not like the O’s have 75 SS prospects knocking down the door.”  Ok maybe not 75 but there’s a solid 5-10 making some noise.

Sure, but only really Gunnar and Westburg could replace Mateo at short next year, and Mateo is better defensively than both of them.

Now if Ortiz keeps hitting the way he has been, he might force the issue with Mateo.

On 4/6/2022 at 2:36 PM, Tony-OH said:

Notes: Think of these rankings like an unofficial prospect rankings that will be adjusted throughout the year. To be eligible for the rankings, a player must still be considered a rookie by MLB standards and assigned to a minor league team. Players placed on injured lists are eligible once they have played in 2022. Rankings will be updated every Monday. Rankings will be expanded to 40 when FCL and DSL seasons open up.

Orioles Prospect Power Rankings (as of Aug 19th)  Next updated won't be for two weeks!

RK Name POS PR U/D Team INJ
1 Gunnar Henderson SS/3B 1   Nor (AAA)  
2 Grayson Rodriguez RHP 2   Nor (AAA) IL
3 Jackson Holliday SS 3   FCL  
4 Colton Cowser OF 5 UP Nor (AAA)  
5 D.L. Hall LHP 4 DOWN Nor (AAA)  
6 Coby Mayo 3B/RF 6   BOW (AA)  
7 Kyle Stowers RF 7   Baltimore  
8 Jordan Westburg SS/3B 8   Nor (AAA)  
9 Connor Norby 2B 9   BOW (AA)  
10 Joey Ortiz SS 14 UP Nor (AAA)  
11 Cade Povich LHP 15 UP BOW (AA)  
12 Darnell Hernaiz INF 12   BOW (AA)  
13 Samuel Basallo C 13   FCL  
14 Dylan Beavers OF 18 UP Del (A)  
15 Heston Kjerstad OF 10 DOWN ABN (A+)  
16 Jud Fabian OF 28 UP ABN (A+)  
17 Max Wagner 3B 19 UP Del (A)  
18 Frederick Bencosme INF 22 UP ABN (A+)  
19 Terrin Vavra 2B/CF 11 DOWN Baltimore  
20 Seth Johnson RHP 16 DOWN ABN (A+) IL
21 Carter Baumler RHP 17 DOWN DEL (A) IL
22 Cesar Prieto 2B 20 DOWN BOW (AA)  
23 Chayse McDermott RHP 21 DOWN ABN (A+)  
24 John Rhodes OF 23 DOWN ABN (A+)  
25 Carter Young SS UR   DEL (A)  
26 Noah Denoyer RHP 24 DOWN Bow (AA)  
27 Aron Estrada INF 25 DOWN DSL  
28 Hudson Haskin OF 26 DOWN Bow (AA)  
29 Braylin Tavera OF 27 DOWN DSL  
30 Drew Rom LHP 29 DOWN Bow (AA)  
31 Mike Baumann RHP 30 DOWN Nor (AAA)  
32 Justin Armbruester RHP 31 DOWN BOW (AA)  
33 Carlos Tavera RHP 32 DOWN ABN (A+) IL
34 Juan De Los Santos RHP 34   DEL (A)  
35 Collin Burns SS 35   ABN (A+)  
36 Maverick Handley C 36   Bow (AA)  
37 Silas Ardoin C 37   FCL  
38 Juan Rojas LHP 38   FCL  
39 Raylin Ramos OF 39   DSL  
40 Jean Pinto RHP 40   ABN (A+)  

Bubble Players          
  Luis De Leon LHP     DSL  
  Maikol Hernandez SS      FCL  
  Anderson De Los Santos INF     FCL  
  Adam Hall UTL     Bow (AA)  
  Edwin Amparo SS      DSL  
  Ryan Watson RHP     Bow (AA)  
  Leandro Arias INF     DSL  
  Yennier Cano RHP     Nor (AAA)  
  Ignacio Feliz RHP     ABN (A+)  
  Isaac De Leon 3B/1B     ABN (A+)  
  Trace Bright RHP     DEL (A)  

These will probably be the last power rankings of the year though we could do one more. 

Thanks, @Tony-OH.   This has been great fun to follow.   I kind of wish there was a way to track how some of the rankings have fluctuated over the season.  For example, I’d imagine that Cowser, Norby and Ortiz may have moved down a good bit and then climbed up perhaps beyond where they started.   

It’s kind of sad to see Kjerstad falling to 15, but I can really argue with it, as he’s never really gotten it going at Aberdeen.  I’m wondering if he’ll start there again next year, or if they’ll push him to Bowie hoping that a promotion will jump start him.   I also think he remains a good candidate for the AFL.