2022 Orioles Prospects Power Rankings (Top 40)

Tony-OH

On 7/28/2022 at 11:06 AM, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, he's going to keep moving back to his preseason spot. Perhaps his slow start was because he wasn't able to have a full offseason of working out and came into the season weak. Seems like he's straightened that out. Hopefully he can keep it up and it's not some Haskin beginning of the season mirage hot streak.

Let's hope. With Haskin, hasn't he rebounded lately?

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

@Flash- bd Nice!  I'm an OBP fan too.  Job #1 batting is to not get out.  Yeah, there are other things at play, but it boils down to that as they get to higher levels.

Hall has slipped a bit in my book.  The ceiling is still there, but the concern about him being a bullpen arm is growing.  Which means, for me, Cowser's ahead of Hall.  I would also slot Holliday between Cowser and Hall at this point too.

And I'd flip Vavra and Westburg because the OBP was so good in AAA.  The difference in SLG is less dramatic giving Vavra the higher OPS.  

I think the harder line is after #10.  But agree that 11-19 bunch is pretty strong.  Wagner/Beavers/Fabian are TBD for me (probably start them behind Rhodes though until we see more).  Regardless, they really extend the pipeline past 20!  @Tony-OHmay need to legitimately extend the power rankings to 50!  :D

Baumler slotting in at #19 is pretty strong.  He'll have some competition with Johnson a year from now (hopefully Johnson gets some IP by year-end 2023).  

Westburg is slumping right now, just a bit ago he was OPS'ing over 1.000 at AAA, we'll see how the rest of the season shakes up, if this was a regression to the mean or a slump, but yeah, you can make a case for what you say. 

Learning a bit more about Ortiz he surely should've been higher on that list, certainly higher than Hernaiz and probably Bencosme. Probably should slot in somewhere from 8 to 12th. That's what you get when you make a list as an amateur without any actual real expertise or input and just are going off the cuff and want to do it for fun to see what it would look like based on your general preferences and hunches. 😁 Interested to see where @Tony-OHputs Ortiz on the next list, not to mention the new recruitments at the trade deadline and the draft picks when they start playing. 

Edited by Flash- bd

15 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

That's what you get when you make a list as an amateur without any actual real expertise or input and just are going off the cuff and want to do it for fun and show a bit your preferences and hunches. 

Same amateur status here too!  I like your list and enjoy your posts as well.  Keep 'em coming!  

Agreed on Westburg.  He seems to be a streaky hitter.  I didn't really get amped on him early in the season.  At least, I saw that Gunnar's hidden improvements were better than the bottom-line stats Westburg was posted.  I did get more excited about Westburg's start at AAA though and that has cooled off too.  "That's why they play the games..."

Ortiz is fun.  I don't know much beyond what I've read on here and general stat watching.  If he hits like this ROS, he could sneak into the top 10. 

4/8-6/30 - babip was .247 and a 56/18 K/BB ratio (277 PA) 

7/1-8/2 - babip is .410 and a 11/6 K/BB ratio (101 PA) - Mr. Prorater has fun projecting 162 games with 40 HR!

Career MiLB K/BB ratio is 136/70.  Much closer to the July ratio than the early season numbers (even including that bad stretch to start this year!  That should provide a solid OBP floor (especially if he can keep the pitchers honest with the occasional XBH).  Obviously the .410 babip isn't sustainable, but that's a hint at more upside on the .260/.315/.425 triple slash too!  

Here’s the thing with our system… we could legit do a top 40 now and it wouldn’t be the Mundys and Bowens’s of the world. Right now it’s looking like we’re only going to graduate Vavra and Vespi. Add in a new Dominican class in the offseason and we’re looking at a legit top 50. 

The system is really deep. Still could use some more pitching, but when could any team not say that?  Also, it’s a shame that MacLean didn’t sign, but now we get an extra 3rd for next year. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/6/2022 at 2:36 PM, Tony-OH said:

Notes: Think of these rankings like an unofficial prospect rankings that will be adjusted throughout the year. To be eligible for the rankings, a player must still be considered a rookie by MLB standards and assigned to a minor league team. Players placed on injured lists are eligible once they have played in 2022. Rankings will be updated every Monday. Rankings will be expanded to 40 when FCL and DSL seasons open up.

Orioles Prospect Power Rankings (as of Aug 8th)  

RK Name POS PR U/D Team INJ
1 Gunnar Henderson SS/3B 1   Nor (AAA)  
2 Grayson Rodriguez RHP 2   Nor (AAA) IL
3 D.L. Hall LHP 3   Nor (AAA)  
4 Colton Cowser OF 4   BOW (AA)  
5 Coby Mayo 3B 5   FCL Rehab
6 Kyle Stowers RF 6   Nor (AAA)  
7 Jordan Westburg SS/3B 7 Up Nor (AAA)  
8 Connor Norby 2B 9 Up BOW (AA)  
9 Heston Kjerstad OF 8 Down ABN (A+)  
10 Darnell Hernaiz INF 10   ABN (A+)  
11 Terrin Vavra 2B/CF 11   Nor (AAA)  
12 Samuel Basallo C 13 Up FCL  
13 Joey Ortiz SS 14 Up Bow (AA)  
14 Cade Povich LHP UR   ABN (A+)  
15 Seth Johnson RHP UR   ABN (A+) IL
16 Carter Baumler RHP 12 Down DEL (A) IL
17 Cesar Prieto 2B 15 Down BOW (AA)  
18 Dylan Beavers OF UR   FCL  
19 John Rhodes OF 16 Down ABN (A+)  
20 Drew Rom LHP 17 Down Bow (AA)  
21 Chayse McDermott RHP UR   ABN (A+)  
22 Noah Denoyer RHP 18 Down Bow (AA) IL
23 Frederick Bencosme INF 19 Down Del (A)  
24 Aron Estrada INF 20 Down DSL  
25 Hudson Haskin OF 21 Down Bow (AA)  
26 Braylin Tavera OF 25 Down DSL  
27 Mike Baumann RHP 26 Down Nor (AAA)  
28 Carlos Tavera RHP 22 Down ABN (A+)  
29 Nick Vespi LHP 28 Down Nor (AAA)  
30 Jean Pinto RHP 23 Down ABN (A+)  
31 Ignacio Feliz RHP 24 Down ABN (A+)  
32 Justin Armbruester RHP 29 Down BOW (AA)  
33 Juan De Los Santos RHP 30 Down DEL (A)  
34 Yennier Cano RHP UR   Nor (AAA)  
35 Reed Trimble OF UR   DEL (A)  
36 Leandro Arias INF UR   DSL  
37 Collin Burns SS UR   ABN (A+)  
38 Maverick Handley C UR   Bow (AA)  
39 Silas Ardoin C UR   FCL  
40 Juan Rojas LHP UR   FCL  

Bubble Players          
  Luis De Leon LHP     DSL  
  Maikol Hernandez SS      FCL  
  Anderson De Los Santos INF     FCL  
  Adam Hall UTL     FCL Rehab
  Shayne Fontana OF     Bow (AA)  
  Ryan Watson RHP 27 Down Bow (AA)  

Updated to top 40 with some the new players acquired in the trades and some new draft picks.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

Is Holliday not on this latest list because he hasn't played yet I guess?  Where will he likely slot, at 5 maybe?

Yes, the rule for the power rankings is the player must have played this year in the minors to be eligible for the list, so new draft picks are only available once they play in a game.

Holliday with be #3 for me once he plays.

• Upvote 1