Grayson Rodriguez 2022

justD

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I can only speak to my experience over the years. In the past, i was able to get injury information from managers, coaches, and the Director of Player Development in varying degrees.

I was definitely upset to hear that you were treated that way. Even if they want to give out less info than previously that is no excuse.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Do you think they have an issue with you personally after you didn’t like the way they supported some social issues in the past?  (Not saying anything about how you handled it, just more of a general question as to why they shut you out)

I was told by the first PR person that she knew I closed the site down back in 2020. I was assured by a VP that was not part of the decision, but who knows really? People have been cancelled in this current climate for much less.

Honestly though, I don't really think that's the reason. I think I'm part of the cleansing of old school reporters who had sources in order to control the entire narrative and information flow. 

I don't even try anymore to find out and I don't even try to form more sources. It's just not worth the time and effort. It's all part of why I've decided my time is up! 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I was definitely upset to hear that you were treated that way. Even if they want to give out less info than previously that is no excuse.

I appreciate it, but I know it doesn't matter. I know I don't matter when it comes to the Orioles information flow any longer. GMs once read our board daily. Basically they crowdsourced ideas and thought processes based off the Hangout message board. I know this for a fact because I've had one tell me. 

At the same time, times have changed. I think the people now think they have all the answers and that anyone over the age of 45 is too old to bring value. 

I had my run, and despite all the losing outside of 2012-2015, it was a lot of fun. But everything has a lifespan. The key is know when yours is up before you waste precious time that we have in this life.

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

IAt the end of the day, it appears that Orioles as an organization have decided they will limit the information and press who covers the team in order to control the message as closely as possible. 

The Orioles already largely have an obedient media press corps covering the team. 105.7 The Fan and The Baltimore Sun treat the Orioles with kid gloves when you compare the criticism the Ravens receive from those same outlets. 

You're not even overly negative or anything, but you dare praise and criticize the organization when it's warranted. I guess the Orioles want to limit their coverage to dying media outlets and state controlled news from MASN. 

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Alas, I believe Elias is not worried about the hardcore fans because I think he knows they will always come out whether they bitch or not on some message board that he care two squats about.

He knows the average fan doesn't care about that kind of stuff and soaks up his hopeful rhetoric about the future and the process. 

To be quite honest, he's probably right.

I think this is a good summary and while I have zero insight this is the vibe I've gotten as well.

I will say that they seem to have built a very tight-knit culture among the players.  When Matt Canada was interim coach for MD football after the Jordan McNair tragedy one of the team mottos was "FEBU".  EBU stood for Everybody But Us, I let you figure out what the "F" stood for.  I kind of feel a bit similar with the regime sometime - like we're on the outside, and they want to make sure we know we're on the outside.  I'm maybe (probably) reading too much into it.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I appreciate it, but I know it doesn't matter. I know I don't matter when it comes to the Orioles information flow any longer. GMs once read our board daily. Basically they crowdsourced ideas and thought processes based off the Hangout message board. I know this for a fact because I've had one tell me. 

At the same time, times have changed. I think the people now think they have all the answers and that anyone over the age of 45 is too old to bring value. 

I had my run, and despite all the losing outside of 2012-2015, it was a lot of fun. But everything has a lifespan. The key is know when yours is up before you waste precious time that we have in this life.

Not the only one Posted this over on other area but since we are talking about this.Once heard Gregg Olson discussing the Orioles and it was not all sunshine with Peter Schmuck. I have heard when the Orioles went back to WBAL, they didn't want Schmuck to do pre or post game. Mielewski was their choice.

13 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Orioles already largely have an obedient media press corps covering the team. 105.7 The Fan and The Baltimore Sun treat the Orioles with kid gloves when you compare the criticism the Ravens receive from those same outlets. 

You're not even overly negative or anything, but you dare praise and criticize the organization when it's warranted. I guess the Orioles want to limit their coverage to dying media outlets and state controlled news from MASN. 

Previous PR department appreciate this fact. One of the best compliment I got from a former PR director was that I was always fair to the team. I gave out praise when it was warranted, but criticized when warranted as well.

I think this current regime wants to control the narrative as much as possible. MASN is team controlled so obviously Roch and Melewski are going to watch what they say and the Baltimore Sun is dying. What's left? MLB.com? Baltimorebaseball.com? None of them are going to be critical.

The only people that are critical of anything the Orioles do are national media types, and they are all trying to keep their gigs as well so they reach for stupid non-problems like retiring Mussina's number.

All I ever wanted to do was be fair, and give fans information they would not get elsewhere. Now the only thing left I have to give is my scouting or analytical opinions. 

• Like 2

They may want to control the narrative, but I think in the current age of social media everybody hears a ton of criticism. The amount of negativity focused at everything is off the charts. Maybe that has caused a reaction where organizations want to only interact with Pollyanna's, but there's basically no escaping the endless criticism and negativity spewed in every direction via social media. Cutting off Tony and the OH is not going to reduce criticism in any meaningful way whatsoever. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Not the only one Posted this over on other area but since we are talking about this.Once heard Gregg Olson discussing the Orioles and it was not all sunshine with Peter Schmuck. I have heard when the Orioles went back to WBAL, they didn't want Schmuck to do pre or post game. Mielewski was their choice.

Olson sucks lol. Isn't he like super anti analytics?