Anthony Santander 2022

OsFanSinceThe80s

27 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I know there’s a HUGE love affair with Adley right now, but to say right now(September 3, 2022)that he’s on another level than Santander at the plate is ridiculous. 

They are neck and neck in OPS. You would think Adley would have a much higher OBP but they are really only 20 points apart. I would bet on Adley to be the better hitter in the future but right now it's close. I'd probably rather have Santander up if I needed a homer or vs LHP, Adley if I need a baserunner.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

They are neck and neck in OPS. You would think Adley would have a much higher OBP but they are really only 20 points apart. I would bet on Adley to be the better hitter in the future but right now it's close. I'd probably rather have Santander up if I needed a homer or vs LHP, Adley if I need a baserunner.

Agreed. 

1 minute ago, ORIOLE33 said:

What do the O’s do about Santander next season? He’s only 27 and has played good. He’ll definitely get a substantial raise from someone next year. 

He has been very good this year and, more importantly, has stayed healthy.

Relying on that 2 years in a row may be very risky.  

Nice couple of days for Santander, raising his OPS to .806.  He leads the team with 27 homers and 77 RBI.  

He's been very consistent this season.   Not a single month under .700 OPS, and only one (May) under .770.   He's really had a good year with the bat.

I will say that, although he's been healthy all year, his defense has not been any better this season than last year, when he was playing with various injuries.   But overall, he's having a very solid season.

This team has struggled to have a competent offense this year. Remove your most consistent power bat? For what?

How would getting rid of Santander put us closer to being a World Series contender? Who's going to replace his 30+ home run production? If the answer is Mountcastle, then who replaces what he's already giving us? 

There's a domino effect and I just don't think we should be in the business of trying to go cheaper when we already have the lowest payroll in baseball. Shouldn't we be trying to add to what we have so we can make the necessary improvements to make a run next year?

3 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

What do the O’s do about Santander next season? He’s only 27 and has played good. He’ll definitely get a substantial raise from someone next year. 

Trade him if the return is there, otherwise keep him. Even though his numbers aren't elite, he seems to not go through prolonged slumps like Mountcastle/Hays. Worth keeping around if we don't get offers. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Trade him if the return is there, otherwise keep him. Even though his numbers aren't elite, he seems to not go through prolonged slumps like Mountcastle/Hays. Worth keeping around if we don't get offers. 

Isn’t he a free agent after this year? 

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

This team has struggled to have a competent offense this year. Remove your most consistent power bat? For what?

How would getting rid of Santander put us closer to being a World Series contender? Who's going to replace his 30+ home run production? If the answer is Mountcastle, then who replaces what he's already giving us? 

There's a domino effect and I just don't think we should be in the business of trying to go cheaper when we already have the lowest payroll in baseball. Shouldn't we be trying to add to what we have so we can make the necessary improvements to make a run next year?

From what appears to be Elias's perspective, you'd look to trade Santander to reduce payroll, to create more opportunity for the outfield prospects in the system (a few of whom are certain to become major league stars) and to make room for a slugging, 30-plus HR outfielder who will be signed or traded for this off-season or next. Again from that perspective, the fact that Santander is having a real good season will increase his trade value, but doesn't much strengthen the case for keeping him since he's almost 28, has just two more years of team control, and is not likely to be better than the OFs Elias has drafted are going to be.

I disagree with the above, for whatever that's worth. I'd keep Santander for next season (as always, subject to a trade offer that is too good to turn down) and probably would try to spend some time in the off-season seeing whether he can be made into a decent first baseman.

Edited by spiritof66

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Do we know that Santander will be the same player next year and stay healthy? 

It could be a big mistake falling in love with our own players and not being objective about the risk.  His value is high -if a team is will trade us young talented pitching- why not?

Elias isn't the type that trades for junk. 

The American League HR leaderboard gets like a 6 out of 10 on "Is it as warped as if you sort Brady Anderson's seasons by HR total?"

Kyle Stowers at his peak may not be as strong as 2023 Santander.    Everybody's always available, but for me he's good enough to pay Arb2 and be 1/9th of a playoff-caliber lineup.

Home Runs
1. Judge  NYY 54
2. Ohtani  LAA 32
3. Alvarez  HOU 31
4. Trout  LAA 30
  Rizzo  NYY 30
6. Seager  TEX 29
7. Buxton  MIN 28
8. Santander  BAL 27
  Guerrero  TOR 27
10. Ramirez  CLE 26

11 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Do we know that Santander will be the same player next year and stay healthy? 

It could be a big mistake falling in love with our own players and not being objective about the risk.  His value is high -if a team is will trade us young talented pitching- why not?

Elias isn't the type that trades for junk. 

It's definitely a sell high situation.  I don't know if we can afford to trade him with the way Mountcastle and Hays have struggled.  Stowers hasn't exactly looked good either, but he's just getting his feet wet, hopefully.