Keuchel??

wildcard

So, about Keuchel. I doubt an MLB deal, maybe a minor league deal. No room if we are going to see Lyles, T. Wells, Bradish, G. Rodriguez (any day now) and Zimm make starts. Kremer is coming back as well. Baumann, DL Hall, Reyes and Lowther are other possibles. Eventually, Matt Harvey will be a possibility. Watkins probably goes back down, maybe DFA.

6 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Not to hijack the thread but speaking of recent DFAs, the Orioles should consider Cole Tucker.  Tucker has been terrible lately, but was once the 14th pick.  His minor league stats look almost exactly like Mateo's, maybe with even more speed.

I was thinking the same thing about Tucker. Seems like he would be worth a shot.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’ll see if the new Pitcher’s park of OPACY can lure in some of these reclamation types. Big picture here isn’t just Keuchel, but after Lyles is having a good year, another success story could help us lure a big time FA SP here. Or at least not block a trade. 

Shouldn't they be at the point in which they don't have opportunities for reclamation projects?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Shouldn't they be at the point in which they don't have opportunities for reclamation projects?

Should or shouldn’t, we’re not. GR and Hall are in the minors. Only Zimmerman is anywhere near a MLB SP out of the group of Akin, Lowther, A Wells, Baumann, and Kremer. And we don’t have much SP depth behind that in the minors. 

The Means injury hurt, but other than that, we’ve been pretty healthy. Guys just haven’t developed into SP. 

We need someone to eat IP. I don’t want us to burn through our “A” squad of relievers and not even knowing what we have. 

14 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

SS but played him in the OF because he wasn’t hitting. https://www.milb.com/player/cole-tucker-657061

Likable guy and all, but no thanks. More concerned about his hair and his movie star girlfriend. His mind has not been on the ball field in a few years. He is nothing like Mateo. When you get cut by the Pirates at his age, it says something.

I wouldn't hate trying out Keuchel for 5-10 starts. See if he can find anything. Wouldn't hurt anything. Save us from some more bullpen starts and I like seeing him vs Watkins or someone like that if he was healthy.

Edit: Yes I can see how Keuchel actually wouldn't save bullpen games, too 😂

14 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

I wouldn't hate trying out Keuchel for 5-10 starts. See if he can find anything. Wouldn't hurt anything. Save us from some more bullpen starts and I like seeing him vs Watkins or someone like that if he was healthy.

Looking at Keuchel's stats he's been terrible since right around the time of the sticky stuff ban last year. Keuchel was still an effective pitcher when he could put spider tack or whatever substance on the ball and now not so much. 

Keuchel's ERA in the second half of 2021 was 6.82 and this year it's 7.88. There could be other factors at play, but the timing of his decline is curious. 

On 5/31/2022 at 10:01 AM, Camden_yardbird said:

Not to hijack the thread but speaking of recent DFAs, the Orioles should consider Cole Tucker.  Tucker has been terrible lately, but was once the 14th pick.  His minor league stats look almost exactly like Mateo's, maybe with even more speed.

At what point does pedigree still matter?

His major league performance, over 4 years and nearly .500 plate appearances, is WORSE than Chris Owings.   His career AA/AAA OPS is barely over .700.

• Upvote 1

On 5/29/2022 at 7:06 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Keuchel is either hurt or done as a pitcher so no reason to take a flyer. I doubt it’s as simple as he needs a change of scenery.

Keuchel knows how to pitch he just doesn’t have it anymore. Rather give Bradish more time to try and figure it out. 

By movement and spin rate, he still has two kinda plus-ish pitches in his sinker and changeup. Definitely on the decline though. He's always relied on the sinker, and he's lost some spin on it. He's been getting hit hard and walking lots of guys.

That being said, I think he's been a bit unlucky this year. He is by no means who he used to be, but I think he's better than that ugly 7.88 ERA suggests.

I think this team is going to need someone to eat innings this summer, and I could see the value in giving him some starts. Even if he sucks, just eating innings to protect the young arms would provide value.

13 minutes ago, Porky said:

By movement and spin rate, he still has two kinda plus-ish pitches in his sinker and changeup. Definitely on the decline though. He's always relied on the sinker, and he's lost some spin on it. He's been getting hit hard and walking lots of guys.

That being said, I think he's been a bit unlucky this year. He is by no means who he used to be, but I think he's better than that ugly 7.88 ERA suggests.

I think this team is going to need someone to eat innings this summer, and I could see the value in giving him some starts. Even if he sucks, just eating innings to protect the young arms would provide value.

I'm a big Dallas Keuchel fan and would have loved him playing for the Orioles in the past, but now unless the Orioles see something they can fix with him it's a hard pass for me.

Keuchel is now going one one year of pitching terribly and it seems like more than just bad luck at this point.

But Lyles is pitching better then I ever expected, so if Elias wants to sign Keuchel then I'll give him a chance. I just think it's likely a team with a better chance at making the playoffs will take a flyer on Keuchel before he'd consider any offer from the O's.