Garceau vs Newman

Sports Guy

9 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Wow, I pick earplugs. Neither can explain a play on the radio. Both are boring. Newman  once told a story about Nelson Cortes  and his dog  for a whole inning. Her baseball history is not good . Scott is a nice guy who time has passed. Go read the reviews of Melanie on the Friday Apple broadcast 

Newman seemed to be hyper calling the Apple TV broadcast last Friday. I didn't tune into the game until the around the third inning and it took me an inning to realize Cliff Floyd was the color analyst on the broadcast because Newman wouldn't stop talking. 

Newman called a game with Jim Palmer this week on MASN and I thought she did a decent job because she wasn't nonstop talking. Newman just needs to tone it down for Apple TV and do a better job at describing the game action. 

• Upvote 1

Garceau is better now but he’s tough to hear. Newman is overly excited and needs to dial it back a few notches. I hope she does so as she becomes more comfortable in the role. The Apple TV crew is just horrendous though. Cliff Floyd might be the worst color guy I’ve ever heard and then combining him with Newman and the third person is like nails on a chalkboard. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I take Garceau because he actually says some interesting Os historical stuff at times.  

Newman has a bad voice and has very little knowledge.  I appreciate the fact that she is trying to break into an industry that is ruled by men but I also don’t think she should get this job just because she’s a woman and I feel that’s why she has the job.

I don’t think anyone is saying much about the sex, just who do you like better. 

In Contrast, Why should Garceau get it because he has been around Baltimore forever when he can’t promptly and/or accurately communicate what’s going on on the field? That seems most important. Just my .02. 

Id prefer Roch to both of them, just my .02. Meleski too, love them both. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I take Garceau because he actually says some interesting Os historical stuff at times.  

Newman has a bad voice and has very little knowledge.  I appreciate the fact that she is trying to break into an industry that is ruled by men but I also don’t think she should get this job just because she’s a woman and I feel that’s why she has the job.

I got crucified on here when Newman got hired and I said I preferred not to hear a woman's voice on PBP.

That hasn't really changed and I DGAF who wants to say I'm not progressive enough or whatever.  That said, I think Newman has gotten better since she started but she's still not great.  And what drives me absolutely nuts is the little fake chuckle she does all the time. 

Garceau vs. Newman is a tough one.  For me, it depends on the day, probably.  The thing I like about Newman, even though she can be monotone a lot, she has some enthusiasm from time to time. 

I dunno.  For today, it's Garceau.  But I can't say who I'd prefer tomorrow or in a week from now.

I was very accustomed to Garceau on TheFan on the afternoon show, so at least his voice has, for me at least, a comfort zone I'm happy with. I'm not as particularly fussy about his style, etc. as I rely on my eyes more than what's being fed to me on TV. If he were solely on radio, then I'd probably be more critical. But I rarely listen to the radio play by play these days. 

Newman did fine the last time I heard her, with Palmer. My wife was really happy to hear her doing the PBP as she watches about half the games with me. As far as just the sound or tone of the voices, I like Garceau's and I know that's something Newman can't do anything about. It's a comfort thing for me as I'm used to him on his radio show. But I have nothing against Newman. Palmer is really the only one that truly moves the needle either way (in a positive direction) when he's part of a broadcast team. His stories and insight are still a big draw for me.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I got crucified on here when Newman got hired and I said I preferred not to hear a woman's voice on PBP.

That hasn't really changed and I DGAF who wants to say I'm not progressive enough or whatever.  That said, I think Newman has gotten better since she started but she's still not great.  And what drives me absolutely nuts is the little fake chuckle she does all the time. 

Garceau vs. Newman is a tough one.  For me, it depends on the day, probably.  The thing I like about Newman, even though she can be monotone a lot, she has some enthusiasm from time to time. 

I dunno.  For today, it's Garceau.  But I can't say who I'd prefer tomorrow or in a week from now.

The NBA has some good female announcers. I dislike Melanie but I'm not going to rule out the entire female population.

Newman wasn’t very good on the Apple TV game, but neither were the other commentators.  She seemed fine to me with Palmer last night.  No one of course holds a candle to Jon Miller.  I’ll check in on Giants games on MLB.tv from time to time just to see if he’s doing the game.