What do you want to see with picks 33, 42, 67

I think everyone is tired of discussing 1:1, that horse has been beaten.

What do you want to see the O’s do with the other picks they have tomorrow night? Any strategy or specific players?

I think they should follow a BPA available strategy but when it is close I would like to see us draft pitchers, I think the system could use a couple college pitchers who move fast.

If he drops to 33 I would love to grab Carson Whisenhunt from ECU. He was suspended this year for PED’s but I am ready to over look that.  He is a lefty who throws 95, might have the best change up in the draft and throws a nasty curve ball. 

What do you want to see?

I agree with Whisenhunt.  I would love to see him fall to the O's.  Another pitcher I like is Blade Tidwell, college pitcher from Tennessee.  His fastball tops out around 98.  Came back from shoulder strain and pitched well (no surgery).  I would be happy w/ college pitchers at 33, 42, and 67.  Wouldn't hurt to pick a fast moving college reliever for next year, as I expect the O's to move at least 1 reliever at the deadline. 

I guess it all is tied into who they take at 1:1. If they take Jones, is there enough money to go overslot on the next 3 picks? If it’s Johnson, is the right player there to take at those spots with an eye for overslotting?

Ideally, we get a couple of pitchers coming off TJ surgery who would’ve been clear 1st rounders. 

12 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I agree with Whisenhunt.  I would love to see him fall to the O's.  Another pitcher I like is Blade Tidwell, college pitcher from Tennessee.  His fastball tops out around 98.  Came back from shoulder strain and pitched well (no surgery).  I would be happy w/ college pitchers at 33, 42, and 67.  Wouldn't hurt to pick a fast moving college reliever for next year, as I expect the O's to move at least 1 reliever at the deadline. 

I have seen Tidwell go to the O’s in a couple of mocks. I would be good with this pick because it fits the college pitcher strategy but I wonder how the O’s would feel about those shoulder issues.

I watch a lot of ECU baseball and two years ago Whisenhunt and Gavin Williams were a nasty 1-2 punch. Gavin Williams was selected by Cleveland and has rolled through the minors and dominated. I expect similar from Whisenhunt. 

17 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I guess it all is tied into who they take at 1:1. If they take Jones, is there enough money to go overslot on the next 3 picks? If it’s Johnson, is the right player there to take at those spots with an eye for overslotting?

Ideally, we get a couple of pitchers coming off TJ surgery who would’ve been clear 1st rounders. 

The O's went underslot on Cowser last year and then their targeted overslot picks were already chosen.  I think it's a flawed strategy to build a draft strategy around certain players falling to you.  The O's could still pick a couple of senior picks to free up money for overslot picks.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The O's went underslot on Cowser last year and then their targeted overslot picks were already chosen.  I think it's a flawed strategy to build a draft strategy around certain players falling to you.  The O's could still pick a couple of senior picks to free up money for overslot picks.

It’s definitely risky. I think it depends on what they see as the difference between Jones and Johnson. If the difference is minimal, go for it. If there’s a clear #1, take that player. 

I like a pitcher named Jacob Misiorowski who is 20 and a RHP.   He went to the combine and had the highest velo throws of anyone there but he's not just a thrower.   He's a tall skinny kid with tons of projection too.    I'm against going HS pitching with those picks.  I'd rather go for someone like Misiorowski.   If a Cade Horton or Gabriel Gonzalez drops to the 33 spot, I'd go for one of them.   Otherwise, I'm thinking of taking a flier on a Reggie Crawford (saw he transferred from Connecticut to Tennessee so I'm not sure if he's looking to up his value for next year.   Could be an overslot).   So, I'm thinking two power arms from College with 2 of those picks.

There's a player named Chandler Simpson who is not the Orioles type of pick so I doubt they take him.  2B/CF with 80 grade speed but also with great contact ability.   

Last but not least, there is a HS catcher from Connecticut with an 80 grade arm who's considered a chance to be a plus plus catcher.   The question is the bat but he showed very well at the combine with barrel percentage.   Adonys Guzman?.      Definitely not a need with Rutschmann here and Basallo looking good and Willems drafted last year but he just sounds like a good pick to me.   

I've seen Peyton Graham the SS from Oklahoma mocked to us at 33 but I don't think he gets that far.   If he's there, I think he'd be tempting to take at #33 and then go pitching after that.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I don't think that's the strategy exactly.   I think the strategy is we like player A and we like Player B but player B is cheaper so why don't we take player B and see what we can do with the extra money later in the draft.   Sometimes it works like a charm and other times it doesn't but it's not like after the draft, they're sitting there saying, I wish we had drafted player A.

I would assume the front office has plenty of data on Whisenhunt given their scouting of Connor Norby last year at ECU. As far as college pitchers go,  I'd be pleased with any of Whisenhunt (LHP ECU), Tidwell (RHP Tenn), Gabriel Hughes (RHP Gonzaga), Cade Horton (RHP OU), or Justin Campbell (RHP Ok St) as well as any of Pallette, Prielipp, or Rocker. The lack of pitching depth might prevent most of them from getting to 33 or 42 though. 

Peyton Graham is interesting and like RZNJ mentioned has been linked to us in several different mocks. He strikes me as a toolsy Westburg type and I could see him being the pick at 33 if he drops that far. I'm biased but I'd also love Spencer Jones at 33/42. Not many guys look like him physically which can be a pro or con depending on your viewpoint, but having watched a couple hundred of his ABs over the years he's a guy the uses the entire field, flashes plus power, and should play a fine RF. Ryan Cermak's scouting report reminds me of an Austin Hays type so he should be interesting to follow as well.

Players that seem to fit with Elias/Sig's mold in the 2nd/2nd comp round include Cayden Wallace (3rd/OF Arky) and Cade Doughty (IF LSU). Jud Fabian's stock may be trending downward enough to get to the third round, but based on his last two years of SEC data I would be disappointed if we took him any earlier than that. I know next to nothing about the HS arms that could go in this range, but Owen Murphy's name has been tossed around and the reports on him sound promising. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don't think that's the strategy exactly.   I think the strategy is we like player A and we like Player B but player B is cheaper so why don't we take player B and see what we can do with the extra money later in the draft.   Sometimes it works like a charm and other times it doesn't but it's not like after the draft, they're sitting there saying, I wish we had drafted player A.

I thought the whole purpose was to be able to draft certain players in later rounds they couldn't afford otherwise.  When you are drafting at the top of the 1st round, you are bypassing elite talent to get a player who is not quite as good.  The difference between the 1st and the 5th best talent is a lot greater than between the 101st and 105th talent.  If the O's genuinely think say Brooks Lee is a better prospect than Druw Jones, then I would agree with them picking Lee, but not picking Lee because he is cheaper.

10 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I thought the whole purpose was to be able to draft certain players in later rounds they couldn't afford otherwise.  When you are drafting at the top of the 1st round, you are bypassing elite talent to get a player who is not quite as good.  The difference between the 1st and the 5th best talent is a lot greater than between the 101st and 105th talent.  If the O's genuinely think say Brooks Lee is a better prospect than Druw Jones, then I would agree with them picking Lee, but not picking Lee because he is cheaper.

I don't believe they feel they are bypassing "elite talent" to take a "lesser player" to save money.    I think they see two pretty even options, perhaps even liking player B better, and saving the money is just the smart thing to do at that point.

Even I would say that bypassing "elite talent" to take a lesser player is not a good strategy.    I happen to think Elias, Sig, and Ciolek are smart, not dumb.