2022 17th Round Pick (#497): Carter Young - SS - (JR) Vanderbilt (TN)

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

First, what have Stowers, Westburg, Ortiz, Rhodes, Cowser, etc done at the major league level? Nada. So until they do something, the jury is still out on their selections. Do I like that at different levels, sure, but let's not start taking victory laps until we see what they do at the major league level. BTW, Westburg is struggling badly in AAA after never really putting up great numbers in AA besides a hot streak here and there.

And no, I will not give them the benefit of the doubt and put a guy in my top 30 based off their bonus because they are the organization that gave Willems $1 million. Most in the industry scratched their heads with that selection, but I went ahead an "gave them the benefit of the doubt" that they knew something others didn't and put him in my top 30. They made me look like a fool for putting an overweight bad body kid in the top 30 when i did it based off his bonus.

Never again.

It's kinda like Maikol Hernandez and Braylin Tavera. Big money so they got the benefit of the doubt, but now I'm going to make them put up some numbers in the pros first. This isn't a hit on the International scouting staff since the system down there makes you make decisions in 14 and 15 year olds, but just that I'm no longer going to put guys on these lists based off their bonuses.

Now could Young have been hurt most of the year and that's why he struggled so bad, perhaps. If so, he should hit well right off the bat in pro ball assuming he's healthy now. Maybe the Orioles keep him back, strengthen is shoulder and we don't see the real him until next year when he'll be 22. Pehaps.

Again, I'm not against the kid. I hope he does well, but no, I'm not giving this scouting staff the benefit of the doubt just because they gave them a big bonus. Especially if the kid is coming off a poor season or is a HS kid that few thought was worth the money.

No one is taking victory laps.   They have just developed draftees into good prospects.  Sure, let's see what they do at the ML level when they get the chance.   Westburg's overall numbers are good everywhere.    He's slumping again.   He's in AAA and has slumped all the way down to an .822 OPS (after .817 in AA).   He'll get hot again, just like he always has.

Who's talking about a top 30?   No one's asking you to rank Carter young in a top 30 or a top 50 for that matter.      

45 minutes ago, baltfan said:

If I recall this kid was recovering from a shoulder injury this year.  There is a thread super excited about Joey Diaz who struggled mightily earlier this year seemingly because recovering from shoulder issues. 

Let's hope that was his issue, but the K-BB ration is not where I'd like it to be for a guy who didn't hit for much pop and no average. 

Hopefully the Orioles will be able to help him untap his potential. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Here's a collection of reports on him though I can't say how good the sources are:

http://macksmets.blogspot.com/2021/08/mack-2022-mlb-draft-scouting-report-ss_01509805424.html

Perhaps @Stotle can chime in on his defense.

Really good defender when healthy; also athletic enough and has experience to fill a UTL role across infield and outfield if needed. I've seen him play multiple infield positions and outfield corner.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Stotle said:

Really good defender when healthy; also athletic enough and has experience to fill a UTL role across infield and outfield if needed. I've seen him play multiple infield positions and outfield corner.

Is it a major league SS arm, or a fill in SS arm?

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Is it a major league SS arm, or a fill in SS arm?

I'd say it's enough for the left side but it isn't an impact arm. He would not be stretched there from what I've seen -- he could make all the throws. He's a clean defender, good reads, enough arm, would be steady. Contact rate is the big question mark for me. There's definitely impact potential but you have to hope lingering shoulder issues played a role in this year's production. Of course, Baltimore grabbed Fabian too so who knows!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Is Young a good enough prospect to justify not getting McClean?

1 hour ago, WI O’s Fan said:

Not sure they are related as there seems to be an issue with the physical.

32 minutes ago, TheWall said:

Would have to consider the supplemental 3rd next year as a part of that equation as well. 

Yep, they are only related insomuch as whether McLean was demanding overslot money from the remaining pool. It's possible the question became McLean OR Young and 3rd rounder supplemental pick next year.

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Let's hope that was his issue, but the K-BB ration is not where I'd like it to be for a guy who didn't hit for much pop and no average. 

Hopefully the Orioles will be able to help him untap his potential. 

.900 OPS as a sophomore in the SEC is nothing to sneeze at.

Not sure what happened this past season. But if it was part of a minor league or major league season we might call it a small sample size.

Obviously there are concerns but i much prefer giving a guy like this a mil compared to what we did last year with Willems. 

• Upvote 1

Keith Law was asked about Young in his chat yesterday. Hopefully the Orioles are able to work with him to fix what ails him.

Samuel M.

17h ago

Now that Carter Young has signed with the Orioles, where would you slot him in the Orioles system?

Keith Law

16h ago

@Samuel M. WAY down the list. The swing and miss there is atrocious. He has some ability, but I saw him this spring and last spring and I thought he was unsignable for worth. No way I would have given him that money - he couldn't hit SEC pitching, even in zone, with a metal bat. That's a complete rebuild in pro ball. I wonder if something went awry with McLean, so they signed Young as a backup?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Stotle said:

I'd say it's enough for the left side but it isn't an impact arm. He would not be stretched there from what I've seen -- he could make all the throws. He's a clean defender, good reads, enough arm, would be steady. Contact rate is the big question mark for me. There's definitely impact potential but you have to hope lingering shoulder issues played a role in this year's production. Of course, Baltimore grabbed Fabian too so who knows!

Yeah, they certainly must believe they can fix guys with middling to below average production at the college level. We'll see how that works out.

11 hours ago, ChuckS said:

.900 OPS as a sophomore in the SEC is nothing to sneeze at.

Not sure what happened this past season. But if it was part of a minor league or major league season we might call it a small sample size.

Obviously there are concerns but i much prefer giving a guy like this a mil compared to what we did last year with Willems. 

This part we agree on. But still the amount of miss against SEC pitching is a concern for me. It appears to me that they misread McLean's number or really were scared off by his medicals and Young was an emergency fall back. 

But, drafting McLean as a pitcher when he's barely pitched was a risk anyways. I like to see a little more production from guys I would give million plus to. 

I was glad they drafted Young and was hoping we would overslot him.  More on reputation of being a potential 1st rounder heading into the season vs. 2022 results.  I wonder how the game log/SSS toward the end of his year played out (i.e. did he get healthy and produce)?

I could have sworn I read/heard that Vanderbilt's hitting philosophy is more about hitting the other way/small-ball type.  But I can't seem to find it.  Am I chasing ghosts?  

Drafting Young was plan B so we didn't toss wasted money around if/when plan A hit a snag.  Young was a hedge that needed to be exercised.  Regarding the contract size:  Meh.  Use it or lose it in the draft.  (Not sure if it's related or not, but if so and this means we can't sign McClean but also getting a 3rd round comp next year, then that's not such a bad outcome either.  I'll second what @Just Regularmentioned about the 2023 COVID class being a bit deeper with former HS talent who went to college after 2020 graduations.)

On the whole, I'm pretty excited they were able to sign Young.  Bringing in his ceiling this late in the draft is a win. 

Moving into the org:  We've done a great job pairing talented MIFers together the last few years.  I'm hoping the synergies and trend is contagious with this draft class too! 

<<Raises a toast>> Here's to Holliday and Young being Gunnar and Westburg 2.0!