2022 17th Round Pick (#497): Carter Young - SS - (JR) Vanderbilt (TN)

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So we are paying Young the equivalent of slot money for the no. 56/57 pick in the draft.  Seems like a lot for a guy who hit .207 this year.  

Given that they are also paying 75 percent tax on the overage, it is more like paying the slot money of the no. 40 pick in the draft.

27 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Maybe McLean won't sign and now they can use the money for Young? I figure they will sign one or the other.

but they lose his slot money if that happens. Still if he doesn’t sign they still get a compensation pick next year

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So we are paying Young the equivalent of slot money for the no. 56/57 pick in the draft.  Seems like a lot for a guy who hit .207 this year.  

It's pretty clear Elias and company now think they have a process to make toolsey guys major league hitters. The number he put up last year make me think he has a long way to go and I'm fairly shocked they gave him this kind of money based on his college numbers. But they know this kid way better than me, but I'm interested in seeing how he performs as a pro. 

Personally, I'd rather they spent the money on Walters, but maybe Walters wanted a lot more. 

Guess we're going to see how good a development system they have now with guys like him and Fabian being toolsey underperformers.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

It's pretty clear Elias and company now think they have a process to make toolsey guys major league hitters. The number he put up last year make me think he has a long way to go and I'm fairly shocked they gave him this kind of money based on his college numbers. But they know this kid way better than me, but I'm interested in seeing how he performs as a pro. 

Personally, I'd rather they spent the money on Walters, but maybe Walters wanted a lot more. 

Guess we're going to see how good a development system they have now with guys like him and Fabian being toolsey underperformers.

What do we know about his defense?  I have to assume it’s very good, or they wouldn’t gamble on his bat.   

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Walters wanted $1.7M which they couldn't offer at this point without losing future first round picks.

Ah, got it. Now we know why he was still available in the 18th round. Even his scouting bio said he was a basically a one pitch pitcher. I don't care how hard you throw you need something else. 

Hey, always happy to get talent into the organization so hopefully they can make Young into a much better player than Vanderbilt was able to. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What do we know about his defense?  I have to assume it’s very good, or they wouldn’t gamble on his bat.   

Here's a collection of reports on him though I can't say how good the sources are:

http://macksmets.blogspot.com/2021/08/mack-2022-mlb-draft-scouting-report-ss_01509805424.html

Perhaps @Stotle can chime in on his defense.

I'm very excited about this, and am holding out hope on McLean but worst case scenario they get another 3rd round pick next year.

I saw somewhere Young's defense was very good. Like the guts and risk/reward here at this late in the draft. Signing him isn't hurting anything else unless Mclean wanted $2M. 

If you're interested, here are search results from early 2022 mock drafts. Goto Google and type:

"early mlb draft mock before:2021-09-01"

A smattering of results:

10. Nationals: Carter Young, SS, Vanderbilt  Young, a standout on USA Baseball’s 18U National Team in 2019, had a strong freshman year during the pandemic-shortened 2020 season, but struggled at the plate in his first full season with Vanderbilt. He tried to do too much, so while he did homer 16 times, he also had a 30 percent strikeout rate.

2. Baltimore Orioles: Carter Young, SS (Vanderbilt)

Carter Young, SS, Vanderbilt As of right now, he’s the best shortstop in this class. Carter Young took over shortstop after Austin Martin was drafted a year ago. He can do a little bit of everything. He reminds me of a Trea Truner/Dansby Swanson type of guy. He’s taken a backseat this past season due to the star power of Jack Leiter and Kumar Rocker, but now it’s his time to shine. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Seems odd to have had the second most money ever for the draft and to end up here with four kids unsigned and very little money left.  

I think they knew it when they picked guys. Some would sign. Some wouldn’t. They didn’t have the budget to sign everyone they picked.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I think they knew it when they picked guys. Some would sign. Some wouldn’t. They didn’t have the budget to sign everyone they picked.

This is the first time they've ever gone above the pool amount.   There was no way they were going to get both Walters and Young signed.   If they get McLean then they've done about as well as could have been expected.    If they don't get McLean, they still get an extra 3rd round pick next year.   I'd say "well played" and if Mclean signs I'd say "perfectly played".

• Upvote 4