Terrin Vavra Bandwagon

Filmstudy

I believe I saw someone on here comp him to Ben Zobrist, who played all over the diamond but, to my recollection wasn’t a plus defender anywhere. It seems so far this is our ceiling comp for Vavra. Make him your super utility, move him around 2B, CF, DH, and keep the bat in the lineup 5-6 days a week.  A lot of value in that, and it really plays well once the youngins get up here.

• Upvote 1

He has enough speed to be considered a possible center fielder. (but slow for the O's !!). He has an upbringing with batting instruction and a super eye at the plate. Not especially a power hitter BUT a lot of walks and a good BA. This is the guy we want leading off!. Minor leagues: AVG .312....OBP .429....OBS .878............... ......... The OBP is very good. Although high batting numbers in the minors come down when a player gets to MLB, his lifetime minor league OBP of .429 would be leading the Orioles: Rutschman.= 0.355....Santander= 0.340.....Mullins = 0.322.....Hays= 0.317 .................... Vavra has only played a few games so there is not a lot of data on his OBP. Right now it is 0.571. ..............................https://www.mlb.com/orioles/stats/on-base-percentage?playerPool=Garrett Allen

I'm as excited as anyone else with the first impressions, however I want to see how he handles adjustments to him and a slump at the ML level.  Good news is that the plate discipline and overall hitting approach is what it is; it's not going to change.  He should always be a selective hitter and that'll still bode well for when he's not hitting well.  He should still walk at a good clip.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, I don't care about power.  And quite frankly, I don't care if Vavra is a slap hitter who'll take fastballs inside to the opposite field.  If he can shoot the gap or keep it down the line, that's a lot of doubles.  

Jeter hit to the opposite field.  Gwynn hit to the opposite field.  I'm not saying Vavra is on their level, but there have been a lot of successful guys that have made a career going the other way.  IMO, way too much importance has been placed on pulling the ball.   Let the ball travel more, you've got more time to react since you're seeing it longer.  Won't get jammed as much if you're not afraid to go the other way.  

I'm really encouraged by what I see from Rutschman's plate discipline and now Vavra's.  I'm hoping to see more guys come through like Henderson and Cowser and hope they're just as good at being patient at the plate and not swinging at junk.  

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm as excited as anyone else with the first impressions, however I want to see how he handles adjustments to him and a slump at the ML level.  Good news is that the plate discipline and overall hitting approach is what it is; it's not going to change.  He should always be a selective hitter and that'll still bode well for when he's not hitting well.  He should still walk at a good clip.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, I don't care about power.  And quite frankly, I don't care if Vavra is a slap hitter who'll take fastballs inside to the opposite field.  If he can shoot the gap or keep it down the line, that's a lot of doubles.  

Jeter hit to the opposite field.  Gwynn hit to the opposite field.  I'm not saying Vavra is on their level, but there have been a lot of successful guys that have made a career going the other way.  IMO, way too much importance has been placed on pulling the ball.   Let the ball travel more, you've got more time to react since you're seeing it longer.  Won't get jammed as much if you're not afraid to go the other way.  

I'm really encouraged by what I see from Rutschman's plate discipline and now Vavra's.  I'm hoping to see more guys come through like Henderson and Cowser and hope they're just as good at being patient at the plate and not swinging at junk.  

There are things to like about Hays, Mountcastle, and Mateo but when you see the AB's of Rutschman and Vavra and makes you realize how adding one more batter like that each time makes it that much harder on the opposition.   The pitcher actually has to throw the ball in the strike zone to get you out and no free outs when the hitter swings at ball four.   It has a ripple effect.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

I believe I saw someone on here comp him to Ben Zobrist, who played all over the diamond but, to my recollection wasn’t a plus defender anywhere. It seems so far this is our ceiling comp for Vavra. Make him your super utility, move him around 2B, CF, DH, and keep the bat in the lineup 5-6 days a week.  A lot of value in that, and it really plays well once the youngins get up here.

Your recollection of Zobrist’s defense is a bit off.   Over a five year period, his Rfield was +25, +16, +19, +5, +9.   The guy was good wherever you put him.  He tailed off in his mid-30’s, but then, who doesn’t?

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Your recollection of Zobrist’s defense is a bit off.   Over a five year period, his Rfield was +25, +16, +19, +5, +9.   The guy was good wherever you put him.  He tailed off in his mid-30’s, but then, who doesn’t?

My recollection of Zobrist is that he also had a pretty strong arm.  I believe he played a lot of RF in addition to 2B and other positions.

I love Vavra and want him supplanting Odor yesterday. Vavra's at bats are great to watch, and he and Adley are the two guys in the lineup with excellent discipline, unlike all the holdovers from the Duquette regime. Once Gunnar and Cowser are in the lineup, I'm going to love watching our hitters wear down opposing starting pitchers.

Lineup I'd love to see moving forward:

Mullins CF

Vavra 2B

Adley C

Santander DH

Mountcastle 1B

Urias 3B

Hays LF

Stowers RF

Mateo SS

29 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Mullins CF

Vavra 2B

Adley C

Santander DH

Mountcastle 1B

Urias 3B

Hays LF

Stowers RF

Mateo SS

Yup, vs RHP. We would also be susceptible to a LH RP 8-2. 

Does Elias have the Balls to do this?  He did trade away Mancini and Lopez. Odor’s pride can’t be bigger than those two moves. 

We gotta try and out score some teams 8-6, 10-7, type games. That current team doesn’t have that in them. Steal some Ws however. 

On 8/3/2022 at 8:46 AM, Aglets said:

Odor can't be benched under any circumstances.  Guess he has it in his contract.  Perks of getting a great agent ???  ;)

Can't be benched, AND can't hit lower than 7th.  Hyde has had a great year, but the obsession with Odor has been reminiscent of Buck's past obsessions with certain bad veterans.

37 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I love Vavra and want him supplanting Odor yesterday. Vavra's at bats are great to watch, and he and Adley are the two guys in the lineup with excellent discipline, unlike all the holdovers from the Duquette regime. Once Gunnar and Cowser are in the lineup, I'm going to love watching our hitters wear down opposing starting pitchers.

Mullins CF

Vavra 2B

Adley C

Santander DH

Mountcastle 1B

Urias 3B

Hays LF

Stowers RF

Mateo SS

Against righties, absolutely.  Makes too much sense.  But can they bench Odor?  

38 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Mullins CF

Vavra 2B

Adley C

Santander DH

Mountcastle 1B

Urias 3B

Hays LF

Stowers RF

Mateo SS

I like the names and positions, not so much the order (given the L/R). I'd go with: Mullins (L), Adley (S), Mountcastle (R), Santander (S), Hays (R), Stowers (L), Urias (R), Vavra (L), Mateo (R). 

I would love to get Vavra higher in the order and might switch Stowers and Vavra. I also don't like Mountcastle as high in the order as I have him, but I also don't see the Orioles going with two lefties and two switch hitters atop the order before the first righty bat.  

43 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

They can, and, eventually, I think they will. Vavra playing 2B yesterday after his pinch hit double is a good sign.

Agreed. Really hoping Friday's lineup is something like what you proposed (without Stowers unfortunately).