Next spring training

Frobby

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have to say, next spring training could be one of the most interesting ones ever for the Orioles.  There’s going to be a ton of competition at 2B/SS/3B and even the OF, and I’m not talking about AAAA retreads, but legit major leaguers and top prospects going at it.   Then you’ll have Grayson and Hall both competing for rotation spots.   And we don’t even know what other players will be added to the roster in the offseason!

I’m hoping to spend two weeks in Florida next March and catch 3-5 games while I’m there.   It’s going to be exciting!

It should prove to a very interesting winter hot stove season as well. The 40 man is about to get really tight if no trades are made to relieve that. Gunnar and Westburg do not need to be protected this winter unless they are called up and added to the 40 man before the end of the year. 

I might be planning a roadtrip in the Revel for '23 Spring training........ Have been to bunches of Spring Training games in Arizona, but never down to the Grapefruit league.

Does anyone know if there are places to boondock / camp / stay near the O's complex? My rig is 20' long (think Amazon delivery van), and completely self contained. 

Any info, I'd be very "grape"ful. (Oh boy that was bad)

• Like 1

I think I'm going to go ahead and need to plan a trip down there this year as well.  My kids asked me to go the last couple years, but we didn't pull the trigger.  I've been one time to Ed Smith Stadium and had a wonderful time.  This sure seems like the year to get maximum enjoyment and get a chance for the kids to meet the players before they all become big time stars. 

• Upvote 1

The sheer volume of talent that could / should be in '23 camp will be impressive. It's always good to see the players live and in person, MiLBtv just doesn't do them justice.

The infield could become a logjam, and that is a very good place to be. Big ticket FA signing? Trading for a #1 TOR starter?

The future is !brilliante!

7 minutes ago, Ridgway22 said:

I might be planning a roadtrip in the Revel for '23 Spring training........ Have been to bunches of Spring Training games in Arizona, but never down to the Grapefruit league.

Does anyone know if there are places to boondock / camp / stay near the O's complex? My rig is 20' long (think Amazon delivery van), and completely self contained. 

@justDshould know.   She and weams took an RV down there back in 2020 I think.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I have to say, next spring training could be one of the most interesting ones ever for the Orioles.  There’s going to be a ton of competition at 2B/SS/3B and even the OF, and I’m not talking about AAAA retreads, but legit major leaguers and top prospects going at it.   Then you’ll have Grayson and Hall both competing for rotation spots.   And we don’t even know what other players will be added to the roster in the offseason!

I’m hoping to spend two weeks in Florida next March and catch 3-5 games while I’m there.   It’s going to be exciting!

I fully intend to be there for a weekend plus!

51 minutes ago, Ridgway22 said:

You got me thinking I might need to make a Sarasota trip next spring.  I've never been to spring training.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

It will be interesting from an outside fan perspective. I bet Elias and Sig's algorithms have already determined their top 26, plus a few more in case of injury. 

Sheesh I hope it’s not that simple. A ton of development can happen over the winter, esp with young guys. What if someone like Rom adds a couple MPH to his fastball? Or Joey Ortiz can’t be gotten out?

You could certainly make the case that Stowers, Vavra, Westburg, and Henderson are ML ready next opening day and a scenario where Cowser and Ortiz are ready within the first two months.      That would be a lot of turnover if even 4 of those 6 became starters on the ML team.   On the current team, only Adley is not looking over his shoulder.   In ranking players whose jobs are least threatened next April I would rank them like this.

Most threatened to least threatened.

1. Odor (not much needs to be said here)

2. Ramon Urias (nice player but Henderson at 3B and Westburg at 2B looks most likely)

3. Austin Hays (most likely of OF trio to go to make way for Stowers with Cowser closing fast)

4. Santander (having the best season but that might work against him as his value is highest and his service time is ticking)

5. Ryan Mountcastle (he's the anithesis of the approach they try to teach in the minors BUT who else plays 1B?)

6. Cedric Mullins (There really isn't a true CF ready to take his spot which MIGHT keep him safe for now)

7. Jorge Mateo (He's in danger if they see Henderson as the SS but they also love Ortiz who probably won't be deemed ready by next OD and Holliday is probably 2 years out at best).

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think a lot of that competition is going to be weeded out by ST.

I don’t think Grayson is competing for anything.  He may be able to pitch his way off the team but he’s basically going to be handed a spot.

I think the rotation is the most unpredictable and maybe most interesting. Hall may be pitching his way out of consideration but Bradish and Voth may be pitching their way into more secure spots. Plus it's one of the more likely positions to be supplemented via FA/trade. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Better than average chance we’ll be down as well! I will reach out as we get closer. 

My Dad lives in Venice and the kids have never been to the beach (2 & 4). It’s fun to hear the 4 year old rattle off “Adley Rutschman, Austin Hays, Ryan Mountcastle.” 

Ed Smith is a fantastic facility. 

Can’t wait. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I am very jealous. It is hard for me to get away from work in the spring and as a consequence I have never been to spring training. Two weeks at spring training sounds like a great first spring of your retirement!