Watkins down ….not Hall

Roll Tide

Hall is definitely not ready. And maybe that is the point. For him to see just how much he needs to improve to be the stud he should be. I agree with you on Hall, but Watkins isn’t fooling good teams. This time of year, the game changes. Watkins is not a starter on a playoff team for me. 

I disagree. You keep Watkins on regular rest to have him as an option for the rotation. Realistically, with all the off days, you don’t need a 5th starter until September 20th. Lyles, Bradish, Kremer, Wells. Move Voth to the pen as a long man. Once we need a 5th SP, hopefully it’s GrayRod. So it’s not like you’d use either Watkins or Hall with the off days anyways. Watkins stays on schedule and god forbid we have a blow out somewhere in there to give Hall a chance to show something and gain some confidence back to possibly be an asset in the pen down the stretch.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Somebody explain this one to me? Terrible move for Elias if you are actually trying to win now. Watkins had a rough outing but has given us plenty of good starts. Hall has lost a game and put another out of reach by giving up 3 late. Who disagrees? If I was Watkins I’d be furious! 

I don't care if Watkins is furious, this is Watkins for Wells. We have a short-handed bullpen today and this was the best option tp get through TODAY. If if costs us 15 days without SW, well I "PRESUME-ASSUME) TW will be worth it in the long run. "Regardless of how you feel about Hall, that isn't-wasn't the 40/28 man Math IMHO (I can't think of a gin-addled acronym). lol

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oriolefan1035 said:

I disagree. You keep Watkins on regular rest to have him as an option for the rotation. 

I agree with this move too even though the Orioles wildcard chances have taken a hit with this Blue Jays series.

In the event the Orioles need an emergency starter Watkins is an option, but only if you keep him on his regular pitching schedule. 

6 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Hall is definitely not ready. And maybe that is the point. For him to see just how much he needs to improve to be the stud he should be. I agree with you on Hall, but Watkins isn’t fooling good teams. This time of year, the game changes. Watkins is not a starter on a playoff team for me. 

I mean it makes sense if Hall is mostly here to work with Holt.  I hope he's not used in any more high leverage situations until he improves.

6 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Watkins isn’t very good.

Watkins was our best starter this year for a stretch. He had a 2.35 ERA over his 4 starts in August. And has similar results in April. In August he was at 4.70 that includes a 5 run start in his last start. His ERA for the season is 4.37 which is probably close to average.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/41567

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Watkins was our best starter this year for a stretch. He had a 2.35 ERA over his 4 starts in August. And has similar results in April. In August he was at 4.70 that includes a 5 run start in his last start. His ERA for the season is 4.37 which is probably close to average.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/41567

Watkins had it working. He just ran into some hot lineups. He’s not a flash in the pan. He’s the type of depth I wish we could’ve turned to instead of Akin and Baumann for the DH. Watkins is going to be our 6/7th SP depth as long as he has options.

What Watkins did for this team this year is unbelievable. Credit to him and his work ethic. 

14 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Somebody explain this one to me? Terrible move for Elias if you are actually trying to win now.

He's not.  He's getting mlb experience for several kids so they'll be better acclimated next season.  If he was trying to win now, he'd have kept Trey and Lopez and probably added a vet or two.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Watkins had it working. He just ran into some hot lineups. He’s not a flash in the pan. He’s the type of depth I wish we could’ve turned to instead of Akin and Baumann for the DH. Watkins is going to be our 6/7th SP depth as long as he has options.

What Watkins did for this team this year is unbelievable. Credit to him and his work ethic. 

100% yes. He's a great story and I'm happy for him and his success.

But he's just not as good as the other options with Wells in the mix. And with Grayson Rodriguez presumably in the mix soon (hopefully), he's AAA depth. 

6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

100% yes. He's a great story and I'm happy for him and his success.

But he's just not as good as the other options with Wells in the mix. And with Grayson Rodriguez presumably in the mix soon (hopefully), he's AAA depth. 

But right now he’s more valuable than Hall who has trouble throwing strikes