Orioles select Benboom, DFA Castro

Legend_Of_Joey

It's October.  40 man rosters don't need to be set until December this year, I believe, just ahead of the Rule 5 draft.   They just replaced a very replaceable relief pitcher with a very replaceable extra catcher.    Let's see what the roster looks like 2 months from now.

3 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

https://twitter.com/masnroch/status/1578102981727293456?s=46&t=1V7xG7LDqS5Auu2IR1oSyg

A weird time to do this, but to me this shows that Chirinos is 100% gone this off season and they will roll with Gallagher/Benboom into camp for the backup spot. This also almost entirely eliminates Handley being on the 40 to avoid the Rule 5.

Benboom is a veteran to stash at AAA in the event of an injury. I’d be disappointed if he made the team as the back up catcher. I’d expect them to look for another back up.

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Benboom is a veteran to stash at AAA in the event of an injury. I’d be disappointed if he made the team as the back up catcher. I’d expect them to look for another back up.

Sure, I just don't see the need to put him on the 40.

I figure he's going to go back off of it before the Rule V.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

This is literally one of the more bizarre things I've ever seen. Why would the Orioles need to think they need protect Bemboom? Why would they even think Bemboom should be a potential option in 2023? 

This is concerning. Either there is something I don't understand or I'm seriously wondering about the savvy of this front office to evaluate talent for the 40-man. 

Who knows, maybe it was something in his contract when he signed? I'm missing something because Bemboom will be 33 years old, cant hit, and couldn't stay healthy in 2022.

Yeah, that is what confused me. Why add him, especially the day after the regular season ends? Even if he is taken off at some point this winter, what was the point of adding him?

Bemboom wasn’t even the starter for Norfolk, was he?   Nottingham had 354 PA, Cumberland 160, Bemboom 137.   I’m guessing the O’s will eventually drop him from the 40-man, but didn’t want to lose him until they’d signed someone better.  

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Yeah, that is what confused me. Why add him, especially the day after the regular season ends? Even if he is taken off at some point this winter, what was the point of adding him?

He’s a minor league free agent if not on the 40-man.  

8 minutes ago, ChipTait said:

Benboom is the "devil you know."   I can't read anything more into this move than at least he knows the pitchers.

Here’s how I see it: he wasn’t good enough to unseat Chirinos as the backup catcher, and Chirinos was pretty bad.   I don’t think there’s any way Bemboom is plan A for the backup next year.   

• Upvote 1