Could the O's dual headed hitting coach fix Rhys Hoskins? Apparently he might come cheap....

Jim'sKid26

Should the Phillies Actually Get Rid of Rhys Hoskins? | FanGraphs Baseball

"The best-case scenario in a Hoskins trade is probably something like what the Cubs got for Anthony Rizzo: Kevin Alcantara, an outfield prospect who blew up around the time of the trade, and an OK pitching prospect in Alexander Vizcaíno."

Fangraphs has him projected at 30 Hrs, 31 2Bs .232/.330/.450 for 2023 which would be his Age 31 season.

His Arb projection is $12.6M for 2023 and he was worth $17.8M in 2022 producing 2.5 fWar

He's a free agent in 2024 so it's a one year rental. 

The table in the article is worth reviewing.

• Upvote 1

Doubtful. I am skeptical of hitting coaches impact in general. Haven't seen anything to suggest the Orioles coaches are particularly good. Usually the safe assumption is that a player is who he is. That said, Hoskins is probably an upgrade over Mountcastle, as both last year and career OPS+ are significantly better.

• Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Doubtful. I am skeptical of hitting coaches impact in general. Haven't seen anything to suggest the Orioles coaches are particularly good. Usually the safe assumption is that a player is who he is. That said, Hoskins is probably an upgrade over Mountcastle, as both last year and career OPS+ are significantly better.

Overall, it’s probably a wash.  Apparently, Hoskins fielding is atrocious.

33 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Hoskins can't field, would cost prospects, is 6 years older then Mountcastle and cost 12 times as much, he hits much better at home with their tiny ballpark.  Other then that it seems like a good decision.  

Why compare him to Mountcastle as an either or? He would be a DH primarily. 

Compare him to Abreu or another possible FA signing. He's not replacing Mountcastle. 

Edited by Jim'sKid26
Clarification

If the O's are looking for a power bat, not a replacement for Mountcastle, who hits exclusively from the Right side, as opposed to Santander who as a SH hits mostly from the Left side, then Hoskins may be available for minimal prospect capital. Thats what the linked article implies.

He would be a short term, low risk, answer to the DH. He has 30 HR power. His 2023 salary would not be as much as Abreu or Rizzo and he will be a FA in 2024. 

If you are a cost conscious team who has an abundance of prospect capital and needs to exercise your payroll flexibility to obtain a frontline SP, trading for Hoskins might be a viable strategy. Especially if your coaches and analytics people think they can make him better.

I have serious doubts that Hoskins would come as cheaply as Rizzo did.  For one thing, Rizzo was a two-month rental from a team that was out of the race, whereas Hoskins has a full year left and played 156 games for a WS team.   And Hoskins was a 125 OPS+ player last year, whereas Rizzo was at 112 when he was traded.   Hoskins is also less expensive salary-wise than Rizzo was.   

So, while I wouldn’t mind having Hoskins, the question is what would we need to trade to have him for one season?   

• Upvote 1

Hoskins has shown 60 power, sure. That’ll take a significant hit in the 81 games at Mount Waltimore. Positionally, it’s just bad. So, we’d be trading for a DH and occasional below average 1B. A .330 OBP/.450 SLG, 24% K rate with 11.8% BB rate and a 118 wRC+ are numbers that have gone slightly poorer each year for him. He would not be my first choice for a middle of the order bat with Santander and Mountcastle here as similar hitters.

I am skeptical about taking a 30 year old guy and having our coaches do very much with him in swing decisions. A younger guy, sure. But a 5-6 year major leaguer at 30 years old. Old dogs, new tricks kind of thing. Maybe it works, I’m just skeptical. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know what, if any, meaningful effect our coaches might have on his performance, but as a guy to take the lion's share of DH ABs next year, he's kind of interesting because he definitely does produce. It all depends on what Philly would accept for him though. The top guys like Cowser and Grayson are obviously off the table and I'm not really interested in dealing from the Westburg/Norby/Ortiz/Mayo tier for a 1 year rental that isn't a high end player at a premium position of need. 

• Upvote 1

I’m not really seeing it. We’ve already got Mountcastle and as frustrating as he can be, he became an adequate defender. I’m hoping he can find some consistency. 

I don’t think there’s a need for another 1B/DH type.  That, and I’d hope that the slightly younger Mountcastle could improve before the older Hoskins could. 

5 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

If the O's are looking for a power bat, not a replacement for Mountcastle, who hits exclusively from the Right side, as opposed to Santander who as a SH hits mostly from the Left side, then Hoskins may be available for minimal prospect capital. Thats what the linked article implies.

He would be a short term, low risk, answer to the DH. He has 30 HR power. His 2023 salary would not be as much as Abreu or Rizzo and he will be a FA in 2024. 

If you are a cost conscious team who has an abundance of prospect capital and needs to exercise your payroll flexibility to obtain a frontline SP, trading for Hoskins might be a viable strategy. Especially if your coaches and analytics people think they can make him better.

So who would you be willing to trade for one year of Hoskins?   Let’s say they want Kjerstad and Jean Pinto.  You buying?

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So who would you be willing to trade for one year of Hoskins?   Let’s say they want Kjerstad and Jean Pinto.  You buying?

Kjerstad seems steep for a one year rental. Maybe counter with Haskins and Pinto, unless they want to pay a good chunk of Hoskins’ salary.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Um., no.  I would trade them someone in the 20 range.  Maybe Pinto with a lottery ticket.  I would rather trade for Hoskins than give somone like Abreu 3 yrs/$50  mill.

• Upvote 1