Rule V: How about a catcher?

Orange

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The current approach.  Correct.   He hit with little authority last year.   Reminded me of Joey Ortiz at Aberdeen in 2019.   The Orioles seem to be good at getting guys to tap into their power.   Let's wait and see.    On performance he should probably start at Delmarva but with Willems and Basallo probably there it might be a bit crowded.

Believe me, I’m more than willing to let the O’s developmental staff see what they can do with Ardoin and just about anyone else who Elias & co. think are suitable candidates for working within our team philosophy.  I’m thinking Ardoin may be pushed to Aberdeen because of his superior defensive skills, even though his bat seems more Delmarva-level.  

This guy might be a nice pick in the Rule 5.  6 walks and 50Ks in 37 innings in AAA.  Courtesy of Baseball America.

Nic Enright, RHP, Guardians

Enright is one of the most polished available relievers in this year’s Rule 5 class. He has plenty of upper-level MiLB experience, with over 100 innings and more than 70 appearances in Double-A and Triple-A, and he has a lengthy track record of success. He posted a 2.88 ERA with a .203 opponent batting average, 1.9 BB/9, 11.9 K/9 and a 2.89 FIP in 2022. Enright has a pair of above-average pitches to work with. His low-90s fastball has modest velocity, but it has some of the best carry in the minors, which makes it a bat-misser that he can dot the zone with. His low-80s slider generates plenty of swings and misses as well, and serves as an excellent chase pitch when he gets ahead in counts. With excellent fastball life and plus control, Enright could be a relatively low-risk addition to a big league bullpen as a Rule 5 pick.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

He seems like a guy intent on walking as often as possible, perhaps at the expense of doing any damage with the bat.  I like patient hitters, but I’m doubtful his approach is going to work as he moves up the ladder.   

Over .900 OPS his last college season, with a dozen HRs.  No idea if he's played in any of the wooden bat summer leagues.  

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The current approach.  Correct.   He hit with little authority last year.   Reminded me of Joey Ortiz at Aberdeen in 2019.   The Orioles seem to be good at getting guys to tap into their power.   Let's wait and see.    On performance he should probably start at Delmarva but with Willems and Basallo probably there it might be a bit crowded.

Can’t remember where I heard it from, but he is supposed to have some legit power that hasn’t quite shown itself in gameplay.  

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

He seems like a guy intent on walking as often as possible, perhaps at the expense of doing any damage with the bat.  I like patient hitters, but I’m doubtful his approach is going to work as he moves up the ladder.   

Out of curiosity what have your seen, heard, read that made you arrive at that conclusion? Not disagreeing, just curious on what  drove your thinking.  It’s A very specific observation.  

Just now, emmett16 said:

Out of curiosity what have your seen, heard, read that made you arrive at that conclusion? Not disagreeing, just curious on what  drove your thinking.  It’s A very specific observation.  

Just looking at his results in the minors.  17 walks, 10 hits, 1 XBH.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, sevastras said:

Someone from another team somewhere is probably saying, “We should look at that kid because he could play top level defense as backup and we could work on his bat with our MLB coaches. “

You are spot on...  Minnesota Twins actually.  "How Big is the Twins Catching Problem?" and "Why Haven't The Twins Signed Omar Narváez Yet?" on TwinsDaily.com. But these chats are more about how bad their depth is and knowing the Twins won't spend on A's Murphy, Cubs Contreras, or Blue Jays 'Whoever they don't want of their top 3'.  But it appears the fans are craving a defense first catcher.

Similar comments to this chat room.  "Some possibilities: Maverick Handley from Orioles; Antonio Gomez from Yankees; Drew Millas from Nat's; Dominic Miroglio from Diamondbacks; Kile Cottam and Stephen Scott from Red Sox. Twins haven't drafted anyone for a while, but they might like one of these catchers."

The Cincinnati Reds are hurting for a 2nd catcher as well and they aren't going to be big spenders any time soon. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Orange said:

Drew Millas, Nationals -- He's their 30th-ranked prospect. A switch hitter who crushed the Arizona Fall League (.305 BA, .825 OPS), he's actually supposed to be a defense-first catcher. 24 years old.

Antonio Gomez, Yankees -- Their #16 prospect. Probably can't hit enough to even be a backup, but he is possibly the best defensive catcher in the NYY system. Solid as a receiver but supposedly has an incredible arm.

with a .351 OBP. Take a grain of salt with this because he was in the PCL. Still, at age 27 I assume Elias was involved with him in Houston so I thought it was worth a mention.Not a catcher, but really interesting -- Corey Julks, Astros ... 27 year old OF who hit 31 dingers at AAA last year

23 hours ago, Orange said:

So, I looked and there are a couple of solid options at catcher:

Drew Millas, Nationals -- He's their 30th-ranked prospect. A switch hitter who crushed the Arizona Fall League (.305 BA, .825 OPS), he's actually supposed to be a defense-first catcher. 24 years old.

Antonio Gomez, Yankees -- Their #16 prospect. Probably can't hit enough to even be a backup, but he is possibly the best defensive catcher in the NYY system. Solid as a receiver but supposedly has an incredible arm.

Not a catcher, but really interesting -- Corey Julks, Astros ... 27 year old OF who hit 31 dingers at AAA last year with a .351 OBP. Take a grain of salt with this because he was in the PCL. Still, at age 27 I assume Elias was involved with him in Houston so I thought it was worth a mention.

Good to get the conversation going as I saw that article as well, "Each club's most intriguing unprotected Rule 5 Draft option" out a few days ago.   Biggest difference right off is prospect ranking...  Seems Millas being 30th ranked prospect of a team that had the 22nd best prospect pool makes you wonder where he would be on another teams prospect depth?  Yankees prefer Bat over Defense and Austin Wells is their top prospect behind the dish as offense first backstop.

More recently, MASN wrote this about Millas, "No. 30 prospect Drew Millas, meanwhile, turned some heads with his offensive performance in Arizona. The 24-year-old catcher, acquired from the Athletics in July 2021 in the Josh Harrison-Yan Gomes deal, hit a robust .305 (18-for-59) with five doubles, two homers, 13 RBIs and an .825 OPS.  Millas hadn’t hit .300 or produced an OPS over .800 since his junior year at Missouri State, so this performance kind of came out of nowhere. In 88 minor league games split between Single-A Fredericksburg, Wilmington and Double-A Harrisburg this season, he hit .225 with 14 doubles, six homers, 36 RBIs and a .690 OPS."

If you and others look at Millas vs Handley just in AA as they were in the same league and faced mostly the same pitching 'over time' I can't see Millas being put on the 26 man to be Adley's backup.  Defensively, you need to remember that AA was the 'test' for the limited pick offs, etc.  So CS % dropped for both.

Name         G     PA    HR    BB%   K%     ISO   AVG   OBP   SLG   wRC+    Defense Stats   GS    Inn    SB   CS    CS%

Millas        45    169    3      8.9    31.4   .109   .211   .280   .296    61                                  34    313    32    9     22%

Handley    78    308   11    11.7   20.8   .181   .236   .295   .353   114                                 66    571    41    17   29%

For Antonio Gomez, his numbers don't light it up but they rave about his defense.  

If we want to get a measuring stick. Compare Gomez at 21 and Handley at 21

Gomez in A ball 2022 threw out 41 of 134  for 30.4%  (568 innings)

Handley in A- 2019 threw out 19 of 30  for 63%.  Missed 2020.  In 2021 (at 23 yo) at A+ Aberdeen got 28 of 60.  for 47%.