Rule V: How about a catcher?

Orange

Thinking about where we could possibly stash a Rule V pick this year and it would seem that backup catcher is really the only logical place. (Maybe a LH DH/1B type? Fifth OF? Maybe... but clearly the backup catcher spot is the best place to put one.) The rotation and the bullpen will be loaded. The infield needs to shake out a bit, but we've got plenty of top guys. Starting OF is set with Stowers and McKenna at OF4 and OF5 with Vavra as an option plus a couple strong prospects coming on. I guess they could bring in a camp body to compete for a backup role, but that seems like a longshot.

So, I looked and there are a couple of solid options at catcher:

Drew Millas, Nationals -- He's their 30th-ranked prospect. A switch hitter who crushed the Arizona Fall League (.305 BA, .825 OPS), he's actually supposed to be a defense-first catcher. 24 years old.

Antonio Gomez, Yankees -- Their #16 prospect. Probably can't hit enough to even be a backup, but he is possibly the best defensive catcher in the NYY system. Solid as a receiver but supposedly has an incredible arm.

Not a catcher, but really interesting -- Corey Julks, Astros ... 27 year old OF who hit 31 dingers at AAA last year with a .351 OBP. Take a grain of salt with this because he was in the PCL. Still, at age 27 I assume Elias was involved with him in Houston so I thought it was worth a mention.

• Upvote 2

Funny at the end of the season I figured that our future backup catcher was someone sitting in a teams farm system that we would acquire possibly as a part of a trade. Someone who is decent with the stick and be a DH or pinch hitter during the other 5 days a week. Without looking deep into his numbers Drew Millas could possibly fit that role. 

• Upvote 1

An .825 OPS in the Arizona Fall League is not crushing it.   I doubt they go Rule 5 for catcher.   I think they might take a flier on a hard throwing reliever type.   I actually saw a good list of minor league FA's who sounded better than anything they are likely to get in the Rule 5 so maybe they are just waiting for the Rule 5 to pass to actually sign one or more of them.

Baseball America has their Rule 5 1.0 up and no Orioles listed amongst the 15 players they highlighted.

This guy is a minor league FA

P - Guillermo Zuniga, RHP: This is a pure power pitcher gamble as Zuniga may have the best pure stuff on the minor league free agent market. His four-seam fastball sits 96-98 mph with high spin rates, he pairs that with a high-80s changeup with tumble and fade and a high-spin low-90s sweeping slider with bite. He shows above-average command of his slider but below-average command of both his fastball and changeup. There’s three legitimate above-average or better pitches and at 24 there’s still plenty of upside.

So is this guy

P - Angel Perdomo, LHP: We’ve seen Perdomo in the major leagues in parts of two seasons with Milwaukee in 2020 and 2021. He was put on waivers and claimed by the Rays in July of 2022 and has shown flashes of bullpen dominance. After he was acquired by the Rays, Perdomo was assigned to Triple-A Durham. There he made 21 appearances for the Bulls and flashed serious stuff. The only lefthander on my staff, Perdomo pitched extremely well over the final few months of the season, striking out 48 batters to 12 walks over 29.2 innings, holding opposing batters to a .160 batting average. Beyond his performance in 2022, Perdomo has arguably some of the best stuff in the minor league free agent class with a four-seam fastball that sits 92-94 mph with heavy ride and above-average spin rates, a high-spin low-80s slider with sweep and a high-80s changeup that plays well off of his fastball. It’s an older reliever profile but maybe Perdomo figured something out with his pitch mix during his time with the Rays.

And this guy

P - Michel Otanez, RHP: On pure stuff alone Otanez has three pitches that register as plus according to pitch grading models like Stuf+. His four-seam fastball sits 98-99 mph and touched 103 mph per Trackman in 2022. He pairs that with two good secondaries in a tight mid-80s slider and a low-90s changeup with tumble and fade. Strikes have been an issue but that’s the rub with Otanez. If you can get Otnaez to harness his big stuff he could be a high-leverage weapon, he’s just never been able to do that for any sustained stretch.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd would rather they just add Maverick to the 40.

Someone from another team somewhere is probably saying, “We should look at that kid because he could play top level defense as backup and we could work on his bat with our MLB coaches. “

He isn’t going to hurt anyone playing a couple of times a week or a defensive replacement late in the game. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, sevastras said:

Someone from another team somewhere is probably saying, “We should look at that kid because he could play top level defense as backup and we could work on his bat with our MLB coaches. “

He isn’t going to hurt anyone playing a couple of times a week or a defensive replacement late in the game. 

And unlike a rule V catcher, you can send him down.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep.

I'd rather use the 40 man slot on him than a rule V catcher.

Of course I don't generally like adding rule V players so that shouldn't be a big surprise.

Okay.  I thought you were talking about another team taking him.   I doubt they go catcher in the Rule 5.   I'd love to see Handley get a chance but it doesn't look like that is the plan.

36 minutes ago, sevastras said:

And if they are really thinking Ardoin is their long term back up might as well give Mav his shot and see what he has.  

14 hours ago, emmett16 said:

And if they are really thinking Ardoin is their long term back up might as well give Mav his shot and see what he has.  

Silas had a great season with Texas as a sophomore last spring.  Hoping his bat plays as well in Aberdeen/Bowie in 2023.

30 minutes ago, ChipTait said:

Silas had a great season with Texas as a sophomore last spring.  Hoping his bat plays as well in Aberdeen/Bowie in 2023.

He seems like a guy intent on walking as often as possible, perhaps at the expense of doing any damage with the bat.  I like patient hitters, but I’m doubtful his approach is going to work as he moves up the ladder.   

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He seems like a guy intent on walking as often as possible, perhaps at the expense of doing any damage with the bat.  I like patient hitters, but I’m doubtful his approach is going to work as he moves up the ladder.   

The current approach.  Correct.   He hit with little authority last year.   Reminded me of Joey Ortiz at Aberdeen in 2019.   The Orioles seem to be good at getting guys to tap into their power.   Let's wait and see.    On performance he should probably start at Delmarva but with Willems and Basallo probably there it might be a bit crowded.