Trading Anthony Santander is this winter’s main dilemma for Orioles, Mike Elias

dzorange

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

All he has to say is "we always listen to everything because that's our job but we certainly like the player". He's said that plenty of times - he didn't need to go out of his way to say he's not interested in trading Santander, but he did. 

Like I said, read it how you want. It's opinion. You're saying I'm wrong, which is your opinion. I believe I'm right, and that you're wrong. :)

He did say that, as shown above.

I took the quote to mean that the O's are not actively shopping Santander or offering him up in trades and that they see him having a role, even an important role, on the team in 2023.  But, I certainly don't take it to mean that Santander isn't tradeable if some comes to Elias with the right offer.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, dzorange said:

This is the only quote I’ve seen from Elias, and it doesn’t say he won’t trade Santander.

We see no real strategy in moving him, and I’m excited he’s coming back for the next two years. But obviously, we do our jobs and we listen to people.”

@interloper this is the whole quote.  It’s always been the whole quote and it’s always what he says.  You just have to pay attention and understand that it would be stupid to completely rule out trading a guy like Santander.

Edited by Sports Guy

17 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sure, except Elias told us he's not trading Santander. Whether you believe that or not is up to you, but I can't really find an example of Elias saying something definitive like that and doing the opposite. It's of course possible. But I'm not basing an article off of assuming that Mike Elias is lying to our faces. 

I don't have access to the article, but I read that grammatically weird headline as Elias being the stand in for the Orioles organization. It's an opinion piece saying that this is something Elias should be thinking about, not a claim that he actually is.

I don't mind if Santander is traded (as long as the return is good), but if we do, that means we would realistically needs 2 offensive pieces instead of one. Santander isn't a great player, but he was a solid, 2 WAR player last year and offensively one of the better bats. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I don't have access to the article, but I read that grammatically weird headline as Elias being the stand in for the Orioles organization. It's an opinion piece saying that this is something Elias should be thinking about, not a claim that he actually is.

Yeah, it's fine. I'm just not a Dan fan in general, haha. I wouldn't categorize it as a dilemma IMO because Elias appears to already have made up his mind about it. But it's definitely something they would have thought about and considered. 

Elias doesn't see the strategical sense of trading Santander until things change and he does see the strategical sense.   I have to say, I don't put much stock in that quote as far as whether Santander gets traded or not.    If the right situation comes along, he's gone.  As we all say, there are so many different directions he can go with this roster.

Is it possible that Santander isn’t valued highly around the league? There’s been plenty of opportunities to move him. He is not anything close to an untouchable type of player. Even when Elias is basically giving players away for teenagers he has kept Santander. Maybe Elias expects to keep him because no one else is willing to give up what Elias wants in return? 

Im good one way or the other. A switch hitting DH with some power and ability to play COF is a good guy to have around. But if Santander can be packaged to get a mid-rotation starter with a couple years of control left then that is more of a pressing need on this team. 

Edited by oriole

If Elias decides to trade Santander, it’s not a dilemma. Santander has solid value, he would bring a nice return. It’s all about who Elias values, and how he wants to construct the team. over the next week or so, we should get a better picture of how he intends to go about that.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

@interloper this is the whole quote.  It’s always been the whole quote and it’s always what he says.  You just have to pay attention and understand that it would be stupid to completely rule out trading a guy like Santander.

I remember an interview shortly after the season ended or right before that he said along the same words. He said that Santander played his way into being part of the future of the Orioles and that obviously says that ME has a lot of faith in him for at least the next couple years, maybe more.

2 minutes ago, theobird said:

If Elias decides to trade Santander, it’s not a dilemma. Santander has solid value, he would bring a nice return. It’s all about who Elias values, and how he wants to construct the team. over the next week or so, we should get a better picture of how he intends to go about that.

I think the dilemma would be that he’s said he wants to add a bat to the team, and by trading Santander he would be trading the team’s most productive bat throughout 2022. Creating a potential need to acquire or develop another bat. Or at least the perception that there is now a void in the middle of the lineup.

34 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Elias doesn't see the strategical sense of trading Santander until things change and he does see the strategical sense.   I have to say, I don't put much stock in that quote as far as whether Santander gets traded or not.    If the right situation comes along, he's gone.  As we all say, there are so many different directions he can go with this roster.

Just sounds like they’re not actively shopping him.  If some other team asks about him, I’m sure he’s not untouchable.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just sounds like they’re not actively shopping him.  If some other team asks about him, I’m sure he’s not untouchable.  

I think Elias is willing to trade anyone in that outfield if it makes sense.  Actively shopping him?   I'm not sure what that means.  I think if Elias speaks with the Marlins and they want Mullins, Elias may counter with Urias and Santander's name could come into the conversation.   That's just one example.   I think most of our guys are on the table.   

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think Elias is willing to trade anyone in that outfield if it makes sense.  Actively shopping him?   I'm not sure what that means.  I think if Elias speaks with the Marlins and they want Mullins, Elias may counter with Urias and Santander's name could come into the conversation.   That's just one example.   I think most of our guys are on the table.   

I agree, depending on the return.