Any interest in Trevor Bauer if he's released?

OrioleLochRaven

8 hours ago, SemperFi said:

Please elaborate or provide a link.

Are you saying that he participated in any type of game (or simulated game) over the summer, while under the terms of a MLB contract?  That would clearly (even under suspension) violate a MLB contract-see attached Service 5.a (page 340 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement-did not change between 21/22) and no 18.b would not apply as it pertains to post season games (barnstorming/winter ball).   

https://www.mlbplayers.com/cba

He organized a pickup game with MLB players when the league was shutdown:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2020/03/14/trevor-bauer-sandlot-style-pickup-game-during-mlb-hiatus/5049826002/

He has tons of videos of himself facing college and high school kids on his YouTube channel. https://youtu.be/ylOpIGJd0mI

53 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He organized a pickup game with MLB players when the league was shutdown:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2020/03/14/trevor-bauer-sandlot-style-pickup-game-during-mlb-hiatus/5049826002/

He has tons of videos of himself facing college and high school kids on his YouTube channel. https://youtu.be/ylOpIGJd0mI

Thanks for the reply.  To your first point, sure there was no CBA-it was a lockout.  During the time period mentioned he is under contract and bound by the CBA, my experience is MLB cannot participate at that level.  To the second, I was questioning the level of competition as to the posters reference-sorry but HS players, college players?-the Cape Cod league is for elite college players-over one thousand have gone on to play in the majors-that was the reference.  I could be wrong but I don't see that in those video(s).  I enjoy the Hangout because the level of conversation is elevated over others, I don't care for it when people just throw stuff out there to support their original thesis-that's why I asked for clarification. To be fair I am often wrong!!

6 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

Thanks for the reply.  To your first point, sure there was no CBA-it was a lockout.  During the time period mentioned he is under contract and bound by the CBA, my experience is MLB cannot participate at that level.  To the second, I was questioning the level of competition as to the posters reference-sorry but HS players, college players?-the Cape Cod league is for elite college players-over one thousand have gone on to play in the majors-that was the reference.  I could be wrong but I don't see that in those video(s).  I enjoy the Hangout because the level of conversation is elevated over others, I don't care for it when people just throw stuff out there to support their original thesis-that's why I asked for clarification. To be fair I am often wrong!!

Well, to be fair, I also stated that someone else posted said video. 

47 minutes ago, banks703 said:

@SemperFi

This is the video that was posted, which was posted on Youtube about three weeks back:

Thank you Banks, that was exactly as you stated-I may also have misinterpreted your post to include games which are a no-no and the videos I found online were very different as noted above.  The more I read about him the less I care for him but I think that may be a generational thing.  I do think he is an elite pitcher and given his training regimen have no doubt he will come back at a very high level-no different then the layoff from TJ surgery.  I certainly understand the baseball side of your argument, no doubt the O's could use a talent like him in their rotation in order to be a playoff caliber team, we just disagree on the risk/reward.  BTW, I'm not a conspiracy theorist but interesting how after the amended suspension the Dodgers end up just under the salary cap, which they have stated they want to adhere to.

@MikeDiGiovanna
If my calculations are correct, Trevor Bauer getting docked 50 games of pay would reduce his $32 million salary by 31%. So #Dodgers would owe him $22 million, with $23.5 million going toward CBT payroll. That would bring them to $232.3 million, just under $233-million threshold.  

3 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

Thank you Banks, that was exactly as you stated-I may also have misinterpreted your post to include games which are a no-no and the videos I found online were very different as noted above.  The more I read about him the less I care for him but I think that may be a generational thing.  I do think he is an elite pitcher and given his training regimen have no doubt he will come back at a very high level-no different then the layoff from TJ surgery.  I certainly understand the baseball side of your argument, no doubt the O's could use a talent like him in their rotation in order to be a playoff caliber team, we just disagree on the risk/reward.  BTW, I'm not a conspiracy theorist but interesting how after the amended suspension the Dodgers end up just under the salary cap, which they have stated they want to adhere to.

@MikeDiGiovanna
If my calculations are correct, Trevor Bauer getting docked 50 games of pay would reduce his $32 million salary by 31%. So #Dodgers would owe him $22 million, with $23.5 million going toward CBT payroll. That would bring them to $232.3 million, just under $233-million threshold.  

Well isn't that amazingly convenient for them.  I'm sure the mediator did not take that into account at all.  No way!

Assuming Bauer is released, would he be in a position to negotiate with other teams about an extension?  He could sock the Dodgers for the $24 mm they owe him this year, but choose the next team based on what they’ll commit to in 2024 and beyond.  Maybe do it as a player option.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Assuming Bauer is released, would he be in a position to negotiate with other teams about an extension?  He could sock the Dodgers for the $24 mm they owe him this year, but choose the next team based on what they’ll commit to in 2024 and beyond.  Maybe do it as a player option.

Couldn't he sign a multiyear contract with the first year for the minimum?  Thus the Dodgers pay his first year salary, and subsequent years would be paid by the acquiring club.  Seems like he could negotiate higher salaries in years 2+ because the team would be getting a bargain in year 1.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Couldn't he sign a multiyear contract with the first year for the minimum?  Thus the Dodgers pay his first year salary, and subsequent years would be paid by the acquiring club.  Seems like he could negotiate higher salaries in years 2+ because the team would be getting a bargain in year 1.

This is what I’m saying.   I don’t know of any reason why he couldn’t do this.   

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If that does happen, I think the Mets will be the team that ends up with him. Someone is going to give him so big dollars because of his potential. the only chance the Orioles have is to trade for him and get the Dodgers to pay for as much of his contract as possible.

He absolutely can negotiate an extension and given the fact that the Dodgers are conveniently just under the CBT, thanks to the 50 games of pay docked by the arbiter (which is why I called this out specifically. It's VERY convenient, right?)  I would have to think that the Dodgers would prefer to get something in exchange for him, be it in salary relief, players, a combination of the two, etc. etc. 

@Tony-OH I tend to agree with this. Some have suggested that Bauer would want to avoid a large media however I argue that is not his style and if he really is innocent as he has adamantly proclaimed, he has nothing to hide from anyway. I could see him end up with either NY team but I think sleeper teams are Seattle, Miami and Texas. 

Even though I don't think that it makes sense for the Dodgers to outright release him given their desire to remain under the CBT and their rumored interest in making other moves, if he does hit the open market via release, controversy aside, the O's probably don't pursue him as he will likely command beau coup dollars...unless you could offer him 1 year at $25 million or something like that and spread it over to years. You would technically have him for this year and the following  year.

A trade between the O's and LAD just makes so much sense to both teams. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

A couple of the baseball writers were discussing him on105.7. I believe Feinsand said he doesn’t think anyone will pick him up.

To further complicate things he has a $15m club buyout, which I think likely will be exercised freeing up more space for LA and rendering him a FA.  Bauer could make out pretty well and allows him to operate under a short term which is his stated preference.

"Bauer’s deal remains one of the more bizarre situations we’ve seen. A three-year, $103 million deal with a player option for the 2023 season that’s worth $35.3 million and has a $15 million buyout. As he did last year, Bauer is widely expected to opt in for the remainder of his contract while the legal battle continues. If MLB rules in his favor, that could create a very awkward financial scenario for the Dogers."

https://tinyurl.com/59r9nybt