Maybe Frazier can play

wildcard

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It just feeling like a contender is going to lose a 2B to injury and come knocking at the O's door.   And Elias will trade Frazier, who is on a one year contract, for a good prospect.   

Just another way for Elias to stack talent up in the organization.

This was what people said last year with Odor. We shall see. I'm hoping the Orioles will be buyers at next year's trading deadline. If they are sellers again then things did not go as planned.

It’s also likely we aren’t as healthy as last year and we lose at least 1 infielder for a significant part of the year.  It’s good to have depth on the major league team and in the minors.  I think it’s clear that the orioles are not a big believer in Vavra’s glove.  If Westburg tears the cover off the ball and is solid defensively in the early going, I’m sure there will be a spot due to injury or ineffectiveness.  If everyone is healthy and playing well, then that’s a good problem to have.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

This was what people said last year with Odor. We shall see. I'm hoping the Orioles will be buyers at next year's trading deadline. If they are sellers again then things did not go as planned.

I'm sure people said that about Odor, but I think what the team planned for Odor was to have an acceptable, below league average or perhaps league average veteran who could help the team tank one more year without him at 2B adversely affecting the O's young pitchers. With the unlikely possibility Odor may have had the upside of a prolonged hot stretch that would allow him to be traded for anything of value.

But the rebuild at the major league level was ahead of schedule, and instead the team was stuck with a terrible 2B who was a good clubhouse presence throughout an unexpected playoff run that ultimately fell short (in small part because the front office never replaced Odor with Westburg or didn't have Gunnar play 2B/3B/SS with Urias moving to everyday 2B/3B).

6 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I'm sure people said that about Odor, but I think what the team planned for Odor was to have an acceptable, below league average or perhaps league average veteran who could help the team tank one more year without him at 2B adversely affecting the O's young pitchers. With the unlikely possibility Odor may have had the upside of a prolonged hot stretch that would allow him to be traded for anything of value.

But the rebuild at the major league level was ahead of schedule, and instead the team was stuck with a terrible 2B who was a good clubhouse presence throughout an unexpected playoff run that ultimately fell short (in small part because the front office never replaced Odor with Westburg or didn't have Gunnar play 2B/3B/SS with Urias moving to everyday 2B/3B).

I do not think for a second that the FO had any illusions that Odor would put up a 2 win season last year.  He's only had one season worth even one rWAR since 2016.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

They could be buyers and sellers at the deadline.   Anyone on a one year contract could be traded if the prospects behind them are ready for the majors.   Santander will be at his peak value before he value dives as a rental if not traded at the deadline.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

They could be buyers and sellers at the deadline.   Anyone on a one year contract could be traded if the prospects behind them are ready for the majors.   Santander will be at his peak value before he value dives as a rental if not traded at the deadline.

I think Santander is already past his peak trade value.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Santander is already past his peak trade value.

He might be at his peak value right now.  Prior to the 2022 season he could not stay healthy.  2022 may his value go up.  But the O's need him to contend to start 2023.  

But in July he goes from being able to help in two pennant races  prior to FA to if not traded only able to be in one pennant race before he is a free agent.  That is a rental player and that will make his trade value drop.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He might be at his peak value right now.  Prior to the 2022 season he could not stay healthy.  2022 may his value go up.  But the O's need him to contend to start 2023.  

But in July he goes from being able to help in two pennant races  prior to FA to if not traded only able to be in one pennant race before he is a free agent.  That is a rental player and that will make his trade value drop.

Trade deadline 2020.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

True but trading a middle of the order hitter after 2+ years of service time would probably not have been in the O's best interest.   They might not have won 83 this past season without Santander.

Ooooo!  Wouldn't have won 83 games.

That's a good reason to not trade someone two years earlier, to make sure you don't miss out on an 83 win season.

They also might have received a player or players that would have helped the O's win 84 games last year.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ooooo!  Wouldn't have won 83 games.

That's a good reason to not trade someone two years earlier, to make sure you don't miss out on an 83 win season.

They also might have received a player or players that would have helped the O's win 84 games last year.

Might or might not.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Santanders peak value is now.

And please stop with the Frazier being worth a good prospect stuff. 

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think Santander has quietly slid past the point where his trade value is greater than his keeper value.

Given the O's lack of 1B and DH power depth and Santander's dwindling control years, I think he now has greater value to the Orioles than he as to many other teams. Personally I'm OK with that.

As for Frazier, maybe we get lucky and he returns to what he was a few years ago... and maybe we get lucky and can deal him... but "maybe we get lucky" is not a sound reason to add an impediment to the progression of Westburg and/or Vavra and/or Ortiz and/or Norby

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Pirates got three when they traded him midseason 2021.  If he performs at that level again and we still want to move him, he would return at least one. 

https://rumbunter.com/2021/07/27/pittsburgh-pirates-grading-adam-frazier-trade/amp/