Grayson Rodriguez Expectations

Sports Guy

Just now, HakunaSakata said:

Geesh, if you don't think Rodriguez's glass is half full then I'd hate to hear what you think about our other starting pitchers...

It's not that I don't think he won't be a good pitcher moving forward, I just think he's going to have some speedbumps along the way.  An ERA north of 4.5 wouldn't surprise me along with some nagging injuries that require him to be shut down early.

Also speaking of disappointments, I can't wait for the reaction around here when it's announced that Grayson isn't going north with the team out of ST.  

I know, I know, I know what Elias said, that he's expecting him to make the rotation out of ST.  But I believe there's going to be some "things he needs to work on" before making his debut.  Coincidentally, those things will align with whatever service clock manipulation will occur.  

If you guys think that situation is out of the realm of possibility, you clearly haven't been paying attention.

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Also speaking of disappointments, I can't wait for the reaction around here when it's announced that Grayson isn't going north with the team out of ST.  

I know, I know, I know what Elias said, that he's expecting him to make the rotation out of ST.  But I believe there's going to be some "things he needs to work on" before making his debut.  Coincidentally, those things will align with whatever service clock manipulation will occur.  

If you guys think that situation is out of the realm of possibility, you clearly haven't been paying attention.

Elias isn’t exactly known for following through with major league moves so I think this is a very legit possibility. Im still waiting for lift off.

Rodriguez has sky high expectations at this point. I think anything less than ace would have most people disappointed. As far as me, if he has anything higher than a 4.5 ERA I will be disappointed…but I expect better and I’m cautiously optimistic that something closer to a 3 ERA is a reality. 

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Would anyone really be surprised if Grayson isn't on the opening day roster? I'd probably be more surprised if Elias didn't keep Grayson down the first month or so of the season to game his service time.

25 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Geesh, if you don't think Rodriguez's glass is half full then I'd hate to hear what you think about our other starting pitchers...

I like Bradish to be a solid #3 or really good 4 and Kremer to be a serviceable number 5. Grayson has never gone deep into games and this makes me think his stuff doesn’t hold up. If he can only go 4 or 5 innings he won’t be an ace, which is what I’m hoping, ergo I will be disappointed. 

And I agree with Moose too that there’s a strong chance he ‘needs a bit more seasoning’ in AAA before debuting. 

3 minutes ago, joelala said:

I like Bradish to be a solid #3 or really good 4 and Kremer to be a serviceable number 5. Grayson has never gone deep into games and this makes me think his stuff doesn’t hold up. If he can only go 4 or 5 innings he won’t be an ace, which is what I’m hoping, ergo I will be disappointed. 

And I agree with Moose too that there’s a strong chance he ‘needs a bit more seasoning’ in AAA before debuting. 

He's never had the opportunity to go deep into games!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, joelala said:

I think this probably reflects more on the Orioles pitching rules for prospects then it does on Grayson's ability to pitch deep.

23 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Would anyone really be surprised if Grayson isn't on the opening day roster? I'd probably be more surprised if Elias didn't keep Grayson down the first month or so of the season to game his service time.

I would not be shocked but ai would be surprised. Elias as far as I know has not gone back on a direct statement. I did not read the specific quote but my impression is there was no ambiguity. He would really have to get hurt or lose the job.

28 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I’d say it’s about 50/50. I assume that’s the main reason we pursued a second SP. 

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I would not be shocked but ai would be surprised. Elias as far as I know has not gone back on a direct statement. I did not read the specific quote but my impression is there was no ambiguity. He would really have to get hurt or lose the job.

If I had to make a prediction, I'd go with Grayson being on the opening day roster. I'd like to think the Orioles are in contend now mode and Elias won't slow walk any prospects that could be the difference between playoffs or no playoffs.