Melanie Newman will not be doing the Apple TV baseball broadcast

Going Underground

I like Melanie a lot. But her broadcasting skills work a lot better on radio, where she sounds much more relaxed. On TV she makes some bizarre word choices during calls. I would say she talks too much, too, but some of that is due to these dumb national broadcasts where it feels like they are being told at gunpoint to "TELL STORIES" instead of call the damn game. 

I like Melanie more than most on here.  She has areas to work on (don't all young folks in any profession?), but she clearly makes up for it by doing a lot of homework.  Once in a while she'll bring up an interesting stat or story that none of the old broadcasters would have put in the effort to uncover.  I'm glad she'll be back on MASN.

With that said, Apple needs a lot of work besides the broadcasters in improving their coverage of games.

• Haha 1

She stinks. Awful. Inept. Out of her league. Terrible. Now if the O's brass would do us a huge solid and fire her from play-by-play or color duties that would be a bone to all the fans who have been subjected to her incompetence. She is a good studio host however. I'll give her that.

Edited by Etch
  • Upvote 1

On 2/16/2023 at 7:23 AM, Etch said:

She stinks. Awful. Inept. Out of her league. Terrible. Now if the O's brass would do us a huge solid and fire her from play-by-play or color duties that would be a bone to all the fans who have been subjected to her incompetence. She is a good studio host however. I'll give her that.

She is a very good studio host for sure. That is her future niche and the one I hope the Orioles brass realize while she's here.

• Upvote 1