Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

35 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

No way possible Jackson makes that same play Gunnar just made this year, next or 5 years from now, with that incredible double play catching that pop up the. throwing out a very fast Corbin Carroll. 

Gunnar’s elite athleticism was on full display on that play. Wow. 

He makes the catch just not the throw. 

11 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He makes the catch just not the throw. 

Maybe. Holliday doesn’t have the foot speed that Gunnar does. 

Even if he makes the catch and can’t make the throw, it’s everything post catch that made that play special. So the play is almost routine-like without that Uber athletic stop, turn and laser beam throw to Adley. 

4 minutes ago, Hallas said:

If he OPS's .900 in AAA.... lmfao 

4 minutes ago, Hallas said:

If he OPS's .900 in AAA.... lmfao 

Their season ends on the 24th and then the playoffs after that.

He won’t get a lot of at bats..60, maybe 70 at bats. The question is, where does he begin 2024?

I mean, I know you're memeing about the previous discussion on his arm strength, but a 19 year old might actually be able to add a few ticks of velocity on his throws through training and growth.  Most pitchers peak in velo at like 21-23.  I agree that his arm is a concern, but it's not out of the question for him to add a couple of ticks to his throws.

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

I mean, I know you're memeing about the previous discussion on his arm strength, but a 19 year old might actually be able to add a few ticks of velocity on his throws through training and growth.  Most pitchers peak in velo at like 21-23.  I agree that his arm is a concern, but it's not out of the question for him to add a couple of ticks to his throws.

Of course he can increase it. Anyone can do a Google search and find several ways in which you can increase arm strength, #1 being long toss.

Im not now nor have I ever questioned that his arm may not be the strongest. My point has only ever been that the book on him is not written and I have yet to see anyone reputable question whether or not he can stay at SS…and certainly our GM and his team don’t seem to question it. 

Edited by Sports Guy

Will be very interesting if they just give him all SS playing time or if they mix him in more at different positions.  Clearly they think he is an absolute stud.  This tells me they are looking hard at the possibility of starting him in the majors next season.  You can be5 the6 want the pick for ROY. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course he can increase it. Anyone can do a Google search and find several ways in which you can increase arm strength, #1 being long toss.

Im not now nor have I ever questioned that his arm may not be the strongest. My point has only ever been that the book on him is not written and I have yet to see anyone reputable question whether or not he can stay at SS…and certainly our GM and his team don’t seem to question it. 

That's totally fair.  I wonder what his throws were clocked at.  If it's like 70-72 (or even 75) right now, he may not be able to improve it enough to play short.  If it's like 78-80 or more, then he probably can at least be passable.

I don't think the position scarcity matters too much anyway as long as he remains at 2b/3b/SS/CF.  The positional adjustment between SS and the other 3 positions is only .008-.009 of wOBA over 700 plate apparences.  Even if he does not improve on his current arm strength he will probably be an above average defender at 2nd and I don't think that would detract from his #1 overall prospect ranking.  If you're ranking Holliday against prospects from other years, it might affect his FV number, so he might end up at a 65 overall, instead of 70 or 80 (80 is unlikely anyway) but his age and batting performance compared to other eligible prospects make him the clear #1 overall IMO.  If he can stick at short that's just icing on the cake.

Edited by Hallas