2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

2 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I agree with this but Adley needs days off and they weren't going to start Mateo yesterday against a righty. Could they have done a better job managing the days off for Adley so that they aren't forced to put out the B lineup in game 3 of this series? Yes, of course but historically McCann hits lefties better than righties and his defense this year has been really good behind the plate. I would go as far as saying that it (at least his throwing out runners) has been on par/better than has Adley's of late. 

They're going righty heavy to start the game against a lefty pitcher who has really struggled on the road against righty batters. I can live with McCann in the lineup for a day game before they need Adley for all four games at Tampa this weekend. 

Again, it's not just that McCann is in the lineup.  Sure, Adley needs a day off now and then, and I'm fine with McCann being the backup on those days.  BUT don't do it on the same days that Mateo will be starting.  Either don't start Mateo ever (best solution) or ensure that whenever you are going to start Mateo isn't not on the same day when we already have another black hole in the lineup in McCann.  Either Adley should be starting today and give him the day off tomorrow or something if you REALLY want Mateo in the lineup, or rearrange things so Mateo isn't in the lineup instead and let McCann start.  One hole in the lineup is enough, don't need two at the same time.  

20 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I'm not sure that EVER having both Mateo and McCann in the same lineup is the 'right lineup', regardless of the pitchers splits.  On the days when Adley needs a break don't also have Mateo in the lineup.  That's 2 pretty much automatic outs back to back.  

Mateo is hitting over .300 and OBP of over .350  vs lefties that doesn't seem to automatic to me.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Mateo is hitting over .300 and OBP of over .350  vs lefties that doesn't seem to automatic to me.  

Only because it's still inflated by his early season success.  Over the last 30 games he is hitting .188 with an OBP of .253 and .261 SLG.  I can't find a breakdown of just his splits against lefties over that same 30 day period, so maybe I'm misguided here, but with those overall numbers I doubt it's very good against lefties overall during the period either.  That said, if you are going to start him, I'd rather see him against a lefty than a righty, but I'd rather not see him with a bat in his hand at all.  

9 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I like it...

I feel validated from how they performed as a team today. The defense was leagues better today than the previous 2 games, and it was nice to see Mateo turn a little hit all the way into a manufactured run. 

Even better is that Gunnar is starting to hit lefties now and Westburg seems to be gettin' goin' too. 

If Gunnar can keep smashing lefties like he does righties, there's no stopping him. He could be the middle of the order power bat we need. I would also consider him in the #2 spot because of his speed to go with his power. 

Now that Adley had got his off day / rest, he should be ready to go against the Rays in what is for the division lead!

18 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I feel validated from how they performed as a team today. The defense was leagues better today than the previous 2 games, and it was nice to see Mateo turn a little hit all the way into a manufactured run. 

Even better is that Gunnar is starting to hit lefties now and Westburg seems to be gettin' goin' too. 

If Gunnar can keep smashing lefties like he does righties, there's no stopping him. He could be the middle of the order power bat we need. I would also consider him in the #2 spot because of his speed to go with his power. 

Now that Adley had got his off day / rest, he should be ready to go against the Rays in what is for the division lead!

Gunnar looks like top of the league, traditional #3 hitter. The 2 spot isn’t a bad idea either. Hell, anywhere in the lineup is a good place to slot him. I like him in the lead off spot to get him more ABs over the course of the season. If he closes out the next 68 games like the previous 50 or so, I think he’s got a VERY good chance of winning ROY. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Tonight's lineup versus the Rays.

Interesting. My guess is that Mateo is starting because Gibson is a ground ball pitcher and Mateo improves the defense. That erroneous performance against the Dodgers must have gotten Frazier a little more time in the Penalty Box. On the other side of that coin, Urias might be our best defensive infielder overall. And he takes good clutch At Bats.

Tonight is the night! We've waited all season to be able to watch the Orioles play for 1st place! This is like a playoff series right here!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Interesting. My guess is that Mateo is starting because Gibson is a ground ball pitcher and Mateo improves the defense. That erroneous performance against the Dodgers must have gotten Frazier a little more time in the Penalty Box. On the other side of that coin, Urias might be our best defensive infielder overall. And he takes good clutch At Bats.

Tonight is the night! We've waited all season to be able to watch the Orioles play for 1st place! This is like a playoff series right here!

Yeah this is the best possible defensive infield, probably, with exception of Tony at 1B. Though I like Westburg a lot at 2B. Frazier has this weird issue of not being able to get the ball out of his glove/hand sometimes. Like you said, Gibson needs the defense. He got eaten alive by groundballs his last outing. 

Edited by interloper

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah this is the best possible defensive infield, probably, with exception of Tony at 1B. Though I like Westburg a lot at 2B. Frazier has this weird issue of not being able to get the ball out of his glove/hand sometimes. Like you said, Gibson needs the defense. He got eaten alive by groundballs his last outing. 

Frazier has a weird issue of just sucking at defense.