Colton Cowser 2023

DirtyBird

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah, and didn't look good doing it.     He's a hard guy to figure out.

I'm with you, I don't quite get him as a player. There's a good portion of Birdland who are super high on Cowser. If I squint I can see it, but I confess to not quite getting it. 

I don't really understand how he went from a hit-tool guy to a 3-true-outcomes guy. He's looking more like Chris Davis than Nick Markakis right now. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

When he was drafted, he was labeled as this safe pick due to his ability to spray the ball around and get on base. Now he's suddenly this kind of risky on-base/strikeout guy. That's a huge shift in his profile as a player, and I don't really understand. It's like the total opposite of the player that was drafted. 

2 hours ago, interloper said:

When he was drafted, he was labeled as this safe pick due to his ability to spray the ball around and get on base. Now he's suddenly this kind of risky on-base/strikeout guy. That's a huge shift in his profile as a player, and I don't really understand. It's like the total opposite of the player that was drafted. 

I think he’s adjusted his swing some to get in line with the organizational philosophy of hitting the ball hard in the air.  I think we fans need to take a wait and see attitude with Cowser.  He was brilliant at times last year, ice cold at other times.  He’s still making his adjustments.   So far as I’m concerned he’s got all of 2023 to get himself polished and ready.  

• Upvote 3

On 4/3/2023 at 2:52 PM, interloper said:

Maybe it's because of changes the O's hitting coaches have had him make. I'm not saying it is, but it would explain why he is as you say "the total opposite of the player that was drafted".

33 minutes ago, panick said:

Maybe it's because of changes the O's hitting coaches have had him make. I'm not saying it is, but it would explain why he is as you say "the total opposite of the player that was drafted".

Probably. Will be interesting to see how long they stick with the process. 

22 minutes ago, interloper said:

Probably. Will be interesting to see how long they stick with the process. 

If Sig's computer deemed it necessary to engender the change then I think they stick with the process until the end. Let us hope it will be fruitful and not bitter.

It's still early. I may be imagining this, but Cowser seems to get off to cold starts, whether at a new level or to start a season. Last season he was pretty terrible to start out the year (for an extended period as well, if I remember correctly) and lots of people on this board were panicking. It turned out he had been working on swing changes with the coaching staff.

I won't be surprised if he gets red hot in May/June and goes on a prolonged heater. He seems to be a fairly streaky hitter as it is, but the elite ability to draw walks is what will separate him from the average 3TO prospect. And the hit tool is good enough that he hopefully won't be an Adam Dunn/Chris Davis type (and he doesn't have that kind of power, either).

Edited by Brooks The Great

7 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

It's still early. I may be imagining this, but Cowser seems to get off to cold starts, whether at a new level or to start a season. Last season he was pretty terrible to start out the year (for an extended period as well, if I remember correctly) and lots of people on this board were panicking. It turned out he had been working on swing changes with the coaching staff.

I won't be surprised if he gets red hot in May/June and goes on a prolonged heater. He seems to be a fairly streaky hitter as it is, but the elite ability to draw walks is what will separate him from the average 3TO prospect. And the hit tool is good enough that he hopefully won't be an Adam Dunn/Chris Davis type (and he doesn't have that kind of power, either).

Your average 3TO prospect draws walks, walks are one of the three.