Kyle Bradish 2023

Frobby

14 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

What I'm saying is I don't think ME will ever draft pitching high except with International prospects. He will draft college arms as future BP power arms and will trade for partially developed arms he thinks can be developed as SP.

That's not going to get it done IMO if we want to win 3 rounds in the American League playoffs. We just saw what a team with excellent starting pitching did to us and we didn't even face Joe Ryan and about 3/4 out of their 5 top relievers are currently injured. We are going to need high level starting pitching to succeed in October in this postseason or any other. Right now we have 1 guy with the talent profile to be a # 1 in the ENTIRE ORG.

Unless you want to be at a talent disadvantage every postseason, that strategy is not going to be sufficient. 

22 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

What I'm saying is I don't think ME will ever draft pitching high except with International prospects. He will draft college arms as future BP power arms and will trade for partially developed arms he thinks can be developed as SP.

While I don't know what Elias will do tomorrow, let alone in the next few years, to me that's a reasonable prediction. It also sounds to me like a bad strategy for building a quality pitching staff.  Has anyone ever built a strong starting rotation in that way? Has any low-revenue or middle-revenue team ever built a strong starting rotation without acquiring any of that talent in the amateur draft? (By "strong," I mean a starting rotation that can get a team to the postseason witthout being clearly overmatched in postseason starting pitchers.) It doesn't sound to me like you can make that plan work without a huge amount of luck. Maybe that's wrong-- I'm curious what history tells us.

7 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

While I don't know what Elias will do tomorrow, let alone in the next few years, to me that's a reasonable prediction. It also sounds to me like a bad strategy for building a quality pitching staff.  Has anyone ever built a strong starting rotation in that way? Has any low-revenue or middle-revenue team ever built a strong starting rotation without acquiring any of that talent in the amateur draft? (By "strong," I mean a starting rotation that can get a team to the postseason witthout being clearly overmatched in postseason starting pitchers.) It doesn't sound to me like you can make that plan work without a huge amount of luck. Maybe that's wrong-- I'm curious what history tells us.

Honestly, I have no idea. However, given that the good HOU pitchers apparently came from International signings vs domestic draft and that their 1st round drafts of pitchers didn't work out, I can see him following that path.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

That's not going to get it done IMO if we want to win 3 rounds in the American League playoffs. We just saw what a team with excellent starting pitching did to us and we didn't even face Joe Ryan and about 3/4 out of their 5 top relievers are currently injured. We are going to need high level starting pitching to succeed in October in this postseason or any other. Right now we have 1 guy with the talent profile to be a # 1 in the ENTIRE ORG.

Unless you want to be at a talent disadvantage every postseason, that strategy is not going to be sufficient. 

Well, looking at Minnesota’s rotation, none of their pitchers were high draft picks by the organization.  Ober drafted in the 12th round by the Twins in 2017.  Gray, Lopez, and Ryan were all acquired by trade.  Other than Sonny Gray, none were high draft picks, with Lopez being a twice traded international signing and Ryan being a 2018 7th round pick by Tampa.

3 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

Well, looking at Minnesota’s rotation, none of their pitchers were high draft picks by the organization.  Ober drafted in the 12th round by the Twins in 2017.  Gray, Lopez, and Ryan were all acquired by trade.  Other than Sonny Gray, none were high draft picks, with Lopez being a twice traded international signing and Ryan being a 2018 7th round pick by Tampa.

So?

22 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

When you trade for a player i.e. Pablo Lopez where they came from or where drafted is irrelevant because they have already shown success at the Major League level. 

You are making my point (or at least what I was trying to say) the Twins went out and acquired pitchers that boosted their rotation. We will need to do the same.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So?

Minnesota is an example of a team building a strong rotation without using high draft picks or spending big in FA.   

The gist of the recent posts took issue with the belief that Elias will not use premium draft picks on pitching.  For example, Spiritof66 stated:

Has any low-revenue or middle-revenue team ever built a strong starting rotation without acquiring any of that talent in the amateur draft?”

Bemorewins stated:

Unless you want to be at a talent disadvantage every postseason, that strategy is not going to be sufficient.”

So, there are folks questioning whether the O’s draft strategy (presuming future drafts continue to be position player heavy) is compatible with building a strong rotation, but the team cited as having a strong rotation was acquired exclusively through trades and a 7th round draft pick.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

When you trade for a player i.e. Pablo Lopez where they came from or where drafted is irrelevant because they have already shown success at the Major League level. 

You are making my point (or at least what I was trying to say) the Twins went out and acquired pitchers that boosted their rotation. We will need to do the same.

Okay, yes I agree that the O’s will most likely need to move quality assets to get quality pitching back.  

Just now, jdwilde1 said:

Minnesota is an example of a team building a strong rotation without using high draft picks or spending big in FA.   

The gist of the recent posts took issue with the belief that Elias will not use premium draft picks on pitching.  For example, Spiritof66 stated:

Has any low-revenue or middle-revenue team ever built a strong starting rotation without acquiring any of that talent in the amateur draft?”

Bemorewins stated:

Unless you want to be at a talent disadvantage every postseason, that strategy is not going to be sufficient.”

So, there are folks questioning whether the O’s draft strategy (presuming future drafts continue to be position player heavy) is compatible with building a strong rotation, but the team cited as having a strong rotation was acquired exclusively through trades and a 7th round draft pick.  

Oh that explains why I was confused, what you quoted and what you were actually replying to were different things.

Thanks for the clarification.

All I care about at the end of the day is that the top two pitching prospects that were here when he arrived five years ago are both in the minors and the only pitching prospect in the top 10 has serious red flags.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Oh that explains why I was confused, what you quoted and what you were actually replying to were different things.

Thanks for the clarification.

All I care about at the end of the day is that the top two pitching prospects that were here when he arrived five years ago are both in the minors and the only pitching prospect in the top 10 has serious red flags.

TINSTAAPP

12 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Great game by Bradish today against the Yankees.

6 ip 3 h 0r 2 bb 5 k

Not easy to stay focused in a game like that, but Bradish did.  His ERA is down to 3.32.   He’s having an excellent year.  

• Upvote 3