Early spring bullpen thoughts

interloper

40 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Buck didn't abuse bullpen arms? I think he ran through them like a rented mule, which is part of the reason why JJ and Britton weren't the same by the end of their competitive seasons.

JJ had 5+ years of being a top notch bullpen guy here in Bal. under Buck's handling.  He then went on to pitch 5 more years in the bigs with mixed results.  How many years is a bullpen pitcher supposed to last?

Britton had 4+ years here as a top notch bullpen guy under Buck's handling.  And has had another 4 years in NY with mixed results.  How long was he supposed to last?

Buck handled bullpens as well as any manager I've seen in the modern era.  And that continued last year in NY.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Buck didn't abuse bullpen arms? I think he ran through them like a rented mule, which is part of the reason why JJ and Britton weren't the same by the end of their competitive seasons.

To be fair, I've read multiple interviews with guys like Britton, O'Day and Tommy Hunter who all specifically said that Buck was one of, if not the best manager in terms of bullpen management that they had had while playing. Could just be lip service to an interviewers question regarding a topic that frequently came up in the Buck-era, but I'll believe them if that they feel that way.

I remember thinking they were all overused. Johnson had 3 years in a row with something like 70 appearances. 

I could be wrong, but I thought Buck needed to leverage other guys more often, even in save/hold games. 

But this isn't the thread for that.

Just now, LookinUp said:

I remember thinking they were all overused. Johnson had 3 years in a row with something like 70 appearances. 

I could be wrong, but I thought Buck needed to leverage other guys more often, even in save/hold games. 

But this isn't the thread for that.

He used them a lot but I think that’s different than overusing them.

He beat his position players into the ground though.

On 3/14/2023 at 2:36 PM, Sports Guy said:

He used them a lot but I think that’s different than overusing them.

He beat his position players into the ground though.

Except on Sundays lol.

Re: the relievers, Buck used what he had to win games, which was 3 or 4 really good relievers. As he should have. Except when it counted at the very end, for whatever reason. 

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Baumann is officially a short reliever.  Could figure into this race now.

Just saw this. https://theathletic.com/4317119/2023/03/17/sarris-spring-training-stuff-surgers/

In the link Eno Harris talks about pitchers this spring who’s stuff+ numbers are showing the biggest increase. Last year his Stuff+ was 106, this spring it’s 124. Last year basically Baumann was a one pitch guy. This year his Stuff+ numbers for slider are 118 and curve 112. Slider has 2 more inches of drop and 2 more inches vertically. 

Article also says Wells has lost some stuff this spring. 

It’s great that Baumann has at least presented himself as a legitimate option. 

Edited by eddie83
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Just saw this. https://theathletic.com/4317119/2023/03/17/sarris-spring-training-stuff-surgers/

In the link Eno Harris talks about pitchers this spring who’s stuff+ numbers are showing the biggest increase. Last year his Stuff+ was 106, this spring it’s 124. Last year basically Baumann was a one pitch guy. This year his Stuff+ numbers for slider are 118 and curve 112. Slider has 2 more inches of drop and 2 more inches vertically. 

Article also says Wells has lost some stuff this spring. 

It’s great that Baumann has at least presented himself as a legitimate option. 

It’s the role many of us have talked about for him for a while. He could be a real asset out there, as can most failed starters with good stuff can be.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Clean innings today for Politi, Gillaspie, and Cano. Gillaspie still sitting on a 0.00 ERA. Does he have a chance?

1 ER for Baker, ERA down to 14.29.

We will know more about Gillaspie when they start pitching him earlier in games.