Early spring bullpen thoughts

interloper

On 3/20/2023 at 11:10 AM, Sports Guy said:

He might be because they want the length, especially early in the season.

But if Baumann takes to the short reliever role well, he will have a larger impact as a high leverage guy.

High leverage guy? I don’t see the case for Baumann to be on the team in any role.  I’d much prefer Watkins over Baumann. 

19 minutes ago, waroriole said:

He’s given up 8 ER over 9 IP. What am I missing?

He’s shown great stuff by multiple measures.  Always liked the potential of him out there, as have many scouts.

14ks shows the stuff.

If you need the innings early on, that’s fine but long term this year, I like the potential of him over any of those  long men.

Besides, I want to see Watkins ready to step in and start if/when an injury occurs.

Edited by Sports Guy

Just now, Sports Guy said:

He’s shown great stuff by multiple measures.  Always liked the potential of him out there, as have many scouts.

14ks shows the stuff.

If you need the innings early on, that’s fine but long term this year, I like the potential of him over any of those dime a dozen long men.

Hasn’t he been pitching late in games, so those Ks aren’t coming against ML hitters. I hope he finds some success in relief, but he’s gonna need to prove it at Norfolk first. There’s a few guys I’d put ahead of him, including Vespi. 

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Hasn’t he been pitching late in games, so those Ks aren’t coming against ML hitters. I hope he finds some success in relief, but he’s gonna need to prove it at Norfolk first. There’s a few guys I’d put ahead of him, including Vespi. 

And btw, I did say if he takes the short reliever role. He wouldn’t be high leverage at first but with his stuff and upside, he has high leverage reliever potential. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

And btw, I did say if he takes the short reliever role. He wouldn’t be high leverage at first but with his stuff and upside, he has high leverage reliever potential. 

I keep seeing all these posts about Stuff+, and how much they like Baumann, but every time I’ve seen him pitch his fastball is straight and he has no control over secondary pitches. Hopefully, the move to short relief allows him to consistently pitch in the high 90s with his fastball because otherwise he’s very hittable. 

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Every time I’ve seen Baumann pitch I’ve been blown away by the velocity and then blown away with the ease the opponents have squaring him up.  He’s got an arm for sure.  

Yep. I don’t know if it’s because they pick the ball up so we’ll out of his hand or if it’s because there’s no movement to it, but batters don’t have a tough time teeing off on him. 

I agree that Baumann shows potential that he might find a home in short relief but....

Both GRod and Bradish just couldn't get through 4 innings.  So early in the season a couple of mid to long relievers will be needed.

Neither Wells nor Voth have found their way yet.

Edited by wildcard

17 hours ago, eddie83 said:

My guess is the last spot comes down to Krehbiel vs Politi. 

If that becomes true then its really about whether they like Politi enough to carry him to start the season.  Krehbiel can be kept with an option.  Politi can't.