Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

3 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I pretty much agree with Sports Guy......just not the idiotic part.   LOL.   If you can just remember how rough Markakis and Ripken had their first year you would understand why we need to have patience.  Gunnar is honestly probably going to be as good as Markakis.  All the respected national independent scouting orgs believe in him.   He needs a very very long leash.  

I think he has the potential to be better for the Orioles than Markakis was. Gunnar is certainly a more hyped prospect. I think the interesting part is that the team is in a very different place and there are so many potential replacements. That said I really don’t think the Orioles will demote Gunnar anytime soon unless he looks very lost. And by anytime soon I’m talking well into late June (even though I said the end of this month in a previous post, they are not doing that). But to be honest he does not look like the polished prospect that I expected to see this season. He looks like an immensely talented player with a great eye, but I have been surprised by the erratic defense and his inability to pull the trigger at the plate. I think Markakis’ defense was strong from the get go and certainly Machado’s defense was spectacular immediately after promotion. 

SportsGuy is frequently rude and maybe even frequently wrong, but I actually agree with him on Gunnar a lot more than my post probably made it sound. 

Wow.  There are threads that leave the rails and then there are threads that leave the rails and cannonball straight into another dimension.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that two-three months from now, we'll have some other actual dilemma like starting pitching to agonize over.

1 minute ago, Dibbs31 said:

Gunnar is one of our better prospects in decades. His development is more important than hoping this 2023 team wins the world series. 

I agree that Gunnar deserves a very long leash, but I don't think you're going to get much mileage out of this take.

1 minute ago, Dibbs31 said:

Gunnar is one of our better prospects in decades. His development is more important than hoping this 2023 team wins the world series. 

Honestly if Gunnar doesnt become a mega star the Orioles had no chance to win it anyway.  Figuring out what we have with him is probably the top objective of the whole season.  

2 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I agree that Gunnar deserves a very long leash, but I don't think you're going to get much mileage out of this take.

What are our realistic chances at a World Series this year? And who is a major upgrade over Gunnar right now to make that happen? 

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Honestly if Gunnar doesnt become a mega star the Orioles had no chance to win it anyway.  Figuring out what we have with him is probably the top objective of the whole season.  

Exactly. The Orioles chances of being elite hinge a lot on Gunnar being elite. 

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I don’t agree. For example, the organization could more easily replace Gunnar than Grayson IMO. If one major prospect busting is going to sink the Orioles, then there’s no hope. Some are going to fail, get hurt, etc. it’s a given. 

7 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Kind of like when we had our best season in recent memory while mega-star, Manny Machado, missed half the year and we were carried offensively by Steve Pearce?

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

No it doesn’t 

Lol ok. A high OBP absolute stud of a prospect means little in the O's being good. We obviously arent signing big FA's. Gunnar is a huge part of the Orioles being successful. 

Just now, Dibbs31 said:

What are our realistic chances at a World Series this year? And who is a major upgrade over Gunnar right now to make that happen? 

Chances are no longer relevant.  2022 says the O's now play to win.  No more tanking regardless of what internet experts think about roster construction, odds, strategy, blah, blah, blah.  And about damn time if you ask me.

Gunnar Henderson is not the problem, at the moment his development is a minor annoyance.

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Kind of like when we had our best season in recent memory while mega-star, Manny Machado, missed half the year and we were carried offensively by Steve Pearce?

Yea that worked out well. What have the Orioles done since the 1990s?

5 minutes ago, Dibbs31 said:

Lol ok. A high OBP absolute stud of a prospect means little in the O's being good. We obviously arent signing big FA's. Gunnar is a huge part of the Orioles being successful. 

Absolute studs don’t bat under .200 w/ their greatest value being when they don’t swing the bat.

Edited by DirtyBird