Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

Also, I don't know if any of you saw that clip on the Apple TV broadcast last night, some guy of theirs was standing around the batting cage and he asked O'Hearn who Gunnar reminded him of and he didn't think twice to say "Seager."

I can see why he said that, I think it makes sense.  Seager is a tremendous talent.  Here's hoping Gunnar can stay on the field and prove to be more durable. 

44 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gunnar is the dude to back the truck up for.  We had one guy 10 years ago that they should have done it for and here we are again.  

I hope that ownership doesn't botch this one.

They could have signed Manny to a contract extension and Peter Angelos blew it over not wanting to pay an extra $10M. With the rebuild Manny likely gets traded anyways, but his trade value would have been much higher being signed into his free agent seasons.

• Upvote 1

I took my teen nephew to a game this season. He hasn't paid any attention to baseball like he does football. But one of the notable things he said to me during the game as the Orioles blew out their opponent, was: "I love that our players all came up with the Orioles". He meant that they weren't a bunch of free agents;  They have always been Orioles home grown & developed players ever since their career in the minor leagues.

It seems to me that it would be good business for ownership to extend our best home-developed top players like Gunnar Henderson. Because those are the type of players that Baltimore fans admire the most and love to go see play. And those are the players who are the winners + difference makers. Gunnar is so young right now, so he has a larger prime window in his career than the average player does.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gunnar is the dude to back the truck up for.  We had one guy 10 years ago that they should have done it for and here we are again.  

I hope that ownership doesn't botch this one.

I’d say that the odds of Gunnar signing a long term contract before free agency are under 10%.  I’d say that no matter who owned the Orioles.  So it’s not really a matter of ownership botching it IMO, but having Angelos as the owner sure doesn’t help the odds.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’d say that the odds of Gunnar signing a long term contract before free agency are under 10%.  I’d say that no matter who owned the Orioles.  So it’s not really a matter of ownership botching it IMO, but having Angelos as the owner sure doesn’t help the odds.  

The Orioles can make the odds whatever they want them to be. 

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

They could have signed Manny to a contract extension and Peter Angelos blew it over not wanting to pay an extra $10M. With the rebuild Manny likely gets traded anyways, but his trade value would have been much higher being signed into his free agent seasons.

I wish someone would ask Gunnar if he is interested.  The thing I will say about Machado is he had more of a reason to want the security. He had two major injuries in a row.   Of course, that plays both ways and Angelos clearly made a mistake.  But people seem to forget the Orioles did extend Jones and Roberts before their contracts were up. 

I agree that extending Henderson should be a priority, but keep in mind that nothing happens in a vacuum. If we offered Gunnar something along the lines of 10/200 (including a hefty signing bonus) with incentives that could jump it up to 10/300 I think he'd have a hard time turning it down. The problem is that we also have Rutschman who's been here a year and during that time has been the emotional leader of the team. How do you pay Gunnar but not Adley? I'm not saying they have equal value going forward, but I'd at least want the organization to recognize what Rutschman has meant to the rebuild and pay him accordingly. Instead of 10/200 with incentives maybe 8/160 with incentives. And then we have Holliday, Mayo, and Basallo to think about as well. All of them have the potential to be just as impactful as Gunnar and Adley. If we invest in one guy it makes no sense to not invest in the others. Can we afford to have four guys making $20 million to $30 million a year? 

11 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

It takes two to tango. We don't know if the Orioles have offered anyone anything.

Our disdain tells us since no contact has been announced, it must be because JA doesn't want to spend money when it could possibly be because Gunnar doesn't want to sign until he hits FA.

I question whether JA's ego would allow him to make an effort to sign one of the O's young players to an large extension without having a press conference about how much he is doing for the O's (I know baseball operations is Elias' job)

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Also, I don't know if any of you saw that clip on the Apple TV broadcast last night, some guy of theirs was standing around the batting cage and he asked O'Hearn who Gunnar reminded him of and he didn't think twice to say "Seager."

I can see why he said that, I think it makes sense.  Seager is a tremendous talent.  Here's hoping Gunnar can stay on the field and prove to be more durable. 

Yup. Seager is what I have been saying and to go further, I’ve been saying that the O’s have Seager and Semien in Gunnar and Holliday for $500million cheaper than what Texas pays to have them. 

Edited by banks703
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

It takes two to tango. We don't know if the Orioles have offered anyone anything.

Our disdain tells us since no contact has been announced, it must be because JA doesn't want to spend money when it could possibly be because Gunnar doesn't want to sign until he hits FA.

Do you think the fact that Gunnar is represented by Boras could make it less likely for him to sign an extension before FA?