Praising Hyde Thread 2023

Aristotelian

29 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

5/4 13-10 Win vs Royals

After blowing an 8-1 lead, the game thread was ready to go ballistic on Hyde. However, he actually made several critical moves that contributed to this ugly win. With the Royals storming back, they had 2nd and 3rd with 1 out and Salvy up. Hyde intentionally walked him to load the bases, then brought in Coulombe. A high risk move where a base hit gives the lead back and anything more could give the game completely away. However, Coulombe got back to back strikeouts to keep the lead 8-7. 

Still, the Royals take the lead in the 7th, handing the game over to Chapman in the 8th. Here Hyde gives a massive green light to everyone who gets on base, resulting in Frazier balk and steal of third, Mateo SB, and Urias SB of second and third. (McCann also steals second in the 9th). In the midst of the craziness on the basepaths, Hyde pinch hits Urias for Gunnar, and is rewarded with RBI single in the 8th and double in the 9th. 

After Cano helped limit the trouble in the 7th, Hyde listens to the OH Game Thread and leaves Cano in for another inning of work. This could come back to bite us tomorrow as Cano and Bautista should probably both be unavailable. Still, a win-now-worry-about-tomorrow move that paid off at least on the front end. 

Pinch hitting Urias for Gunnar vs a lefty reliever sure paid off too.

Questionable bullpen usage but we got a W heading into a matchup with Fried and ATL. 

Sometimes more is less.  Let Cano just get multiple outs and shut things down then don’t bring Bautista in a non save situation. 

This dude is the Manager of the Year for which should be the 2nd straight year in the AL. So he’s alright. We’re alright. 

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Questionable bullpen usage but we got a W heading into a matchup with Fried and ATL. 

Sometimes more is less.  Let Cano just get multiple outs and shut things down then don’t bring Bautista in a non save situation. 

This dude is the Manager of the Year for which should be the 2nd straight year in the AL. So he’s alright. We’re alright. 

Bautista hadn’t thrown in 4 days.  Cano had already gone multiple innings.    Bautista had already warmed up.  I had no problem bringing Bautista in.  Not enough rest is bad but too much rest and he might not be sharp when you need him.   

44 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Bautista hadn’t thrown in 4 days.  Cano had already gone multiple innings.    Bautista had already warmed up.  I had no problem bringing Bautista in.  Not enough rest is bad but too much rest and he might not be sharp when you need him.   

Bautista really needed to throw today. Glad it wasn’t a one-run game. 

1 minute ago, Moshagge3 said:

Obviously Urias was clutch as hell today so I'm happy Hyde pinch hit with him, but any reason Hays didn't come in at sone point? I missed the broadcast, is he hurt?

Hand injury still nagging him. 

• 3 weeks later...

Good call to pinch hit Vavra for McCann, leading to the crucial big inning despite losing the DH. Big spot for Vavra and he ambushed a first pitch for a base hit.

Brought O'Hearin for a PH hoping to replicate yesterday's magic but it didn't work out.

Made another big IBB call to load the bases with 1 out. This seems to be a "Hyde special" that he really believes in. Didn't really affect the outcome but at least didn't get burned by it. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He was great this series and has been excellent for most of the year. People are completely delusional about him and the overrating of what an MLB manager actually does and is has always been very amusing.

Nooooooo way! I thought all the Hyde bashing around here was justified. Like , if we had a competent manager we’d be ahead of the Rays but it’s Hyde being buddy-buddy with his players that’s holding this team back. Or so I’ve been told. 

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He was great this series and has been excellent for most of the year. People are completely delusional about him and the overrating of what an MLB manager actually does and is has always been very amusing.

Those same people underrate severely the importance of a manager especially to a young team in the clubhouse and off the field. 

Edited by baltfan
Didn’t have glasses on to proof

5 hours ago, baltfan said:

Those same people underage severely the importance of a manager especially to a young team in the clubhouse and off the field. 

Correct. As an anecdote, (please forgive me that this story is about the Yankees), I watched the Derek Jeter documentary series "The Captain" and he talked about how important Joe Torre was to him in not just his career, but also in his life. Torre was the manager for Jeter's young developing career in the major leagues. He had alot of impact on developing his career. Jeter said that off the field, Torre was like a 2nd father figure to him.

Now, I dislike the Yankees as much as the next Orioles fan, but I think Jeter's experience with Joe Torre just goes prove the point of how important a manger is to a young player who's in the 1st couple years of his career. As we all know, those teams went on to win multiple World Series Championships.

Brandon Hyde has developed a very good clubhouse culture and the team is better for it.

The biggest moment of the year so far was when Bautista was struggling in the 9th inning in Saturday’s game. Adley and the IF went to the mound. Holt asked Hyde if he should go out and Hyde said no. Adley was screaming in he mit and after that pep talk all Bautista did was blow away the Jays in the 9th and 10th with fastballs. 

Gotta let the boys figure it out on their own sometimes. Great coaching moment from Hyde. 

• Upvote 1

Personally, I think it's funny when I read people talking about Hyde bashing. Manager' are always going to be second guessed, it comes with the territory. 

Hyde does things well, and Hyde does some things not so well at times. Like all managers, he's not perfect nor is he some dummy.

He's obviously well respected in his clubhouse. 

Now does he use too many relievers at times and not allowing his length guys to just that, provide length, yep. Does he pull guys for platoon advantages too early in games at time. Yep.

Does he have some weird lineups at times? Yep. (Saying that, I don't believe he makes out the lineups but only adjusts what he's been given when there is an injury or something).

But, at the end of the day, the team is winning and Hyde is overall doing a nice job. The manager always does a nice job when the team is winning. ;)

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Does he have some weird lineups at times? Yep. (Saying that, I don't believe he makes out the lineups but only adjusts what he's been given when there is an injury or something).

Tony, what do you mean by that? Do you think it's basically derived out of some analytics based on the pitching matchup? I have heard that in this era, a lot of managing is almost like being an administrator (to a point).