Ortiz down, Stowers up

Sports Guy

I made some comments about a few boneheaded plays I’ve seen him make over the last couple years and have been labeled a Stowers hater.  I’m actually a big fan.  I Think  he’s a fine defender, though he makes me a little nervous.  I’ve seen him play solid CF in Norfolk.  He has a cannon that is accurate, runs pretty well for a big guy, and covers a good bit of ground.  Not always the best routes.  Have seen a few plays where it looked like he wasn’t focused/was checked  out a bit - but you never completely know whats he ping on.  All in all would be an upgrade over Santander in RF.  I think Hays still has a leg up on him.  I think he’s gonna start pushing Tony for ABs.  

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m interested to see where Hays finishes the year.  For whatever reason, he made 3-4 flat out horrible plays the first week or so of the season.  I really haven’t seen a play since then where I thought be messed up in any way.  I think his defensive numbers have held pretty steady since then.  I’ll have to see what I can fish out.  

I feel Hays is a better defender than Stowers, but I also think Stowers is looking more comfortable, which was to be expected.  

Hays is probably better defensively but Hays isn’t that good defensively, especially compared to the perception of him amongst fans and the announcers (who influence the minds of the fans very much)

And btw, iirc, Hays’ biggest issue last year was getting poor jumps..which you won’t see on TV.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Fangraphs WAR:

Santander: -.2

Mountcastle: -.2

Frazier- .1

Those 3 combine for about 30% of the teams PA.

Vavra, McKenna and OHearn have a combined .1 WAR.  They have 80 PA between them.

Hays has one of the worst OAA’s in the league.

Roster spots/at bats can be taken away from these guys. That isn’t going to hurt the team.

You bring up Mountcastle. Who is going to play 1B instead of him?

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hays is probably better defensively but Hays isn’t that good defensively, especially compared to the perception of him amongst fans and the announcers (who influence the minds of the fans very much)

And btw, iirc, Hays’ biggest issue last year was getting poor jumps..which you won’t see on TV.

Entirely possible later on Hays goes to RF more if/when Cowser gets called up. 

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

You bring up Mountcastle. Who is going to play 1B instead of him?

Santander is the likely choice, since he has been taking balls over there since at least ST.

Now, I will say this..if he is abysmal over there and he is completely clueless, that does hurt this idea. I definitely feel that is possible.  

Edited by Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

So the guy that is having a worse year at the plate and hasn't ever played the position in the majors?

I don’t think AS is going to keep up with a bad season offensively. I don’t want him benched. I want him to still play. I just don’t want him to play everyday.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think AS is going to keep up with a bad season offensively. I don’t want him benched. I want him to still play. I just don’t want him to play everyday.

So let's play him out of position and take at bats away from someone who has better year to date actual numbers and superior underlying data while posting better career numbers and who is both younger and less expensive?

9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I'm not sure how anyone can watch Santander and Mountcastle at the plate every day and think that Santander is the one who should be getting more at bats.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So let's play him out of position and take at bats away from someone who has better year to date actual numbers and superior underlying data while posting better career numbers and who is both younger and less expensive?

Exactly

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mountcastle isn’t having a good year. Someone else getting at bats at his expense is fine. 

42 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I'm not sure how anyone can watch Santander and Mountcastle at the plate every day and think that Santander is the one who should be getting more at bats.

I’m not sure how anyone can read what’s being said and come to this conclusion.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But someone that is having a worse year?

Both players have a -.2 fWAR.

Both are losing at bats.  It’s less about replacing each other as it is taking at bats away from them and giving those at bats to the younger, better players.  

Unfortunately, since the team has chosen to not give first base reps to Stowers and/or Westburg, AS is the only one left.  

Edited by Sports Guy