Orioles acquire catcher, DFA Krehbiel

Legend_Of_Joey

2 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Maybe the professional scouts and people running the player personnel for the team know more then a bunch of fans that don’t watch players of other teams often.  You can find thread after thread about people complaining about adding this guy or that guy but most the time they have been right.  Most people wanted Mateo released, didn’t like the decision to bring up Cano, said Gibson was worse the Lyles, wondered why they protected Bautista just as a few examples.  

This is just such hyperbole. "Most people" did not want Mateo released or had anything against Cano. And who had issues protecting Bautista here? 

This is a Facebook level quality post. It's pure hyperbole and just not true. 

In fact, it really annoys me when I see the "board" generalized in this manner, especially a manner that is complete and utter hyperbole that is not based in any fact.

If all you want to say is The Orioles baseball people are smarter, then maybe the Hangout is not for you.

For someone who has over 6k posts this is such an awful take of the board. 

Unusual circumstances call for unusual solutions.

Our bestish hitter is a catcher.  Obviously, he can't catch every day, but we still will want his bat in the lineup, so he gets a significant amount of DH at-bats.

If we want the ability to pinch hit for McCann, and not run Adley into the ground, we need a third catcher.

It's not ideal.

Unusual circumastances call for unususal solutions.

But, obviously, in the short term, it is not the best way to maximize your roster spots.

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

O’Hearn has an option. I think he’s the one that goes down. It sounds like they are delaying adding the 3rd catcher until after this series with KC. 

Could just be an issue of the move happening late this afternoon and Torrens not being able to join the team in time for a day game tomorrow, so might as well have him go straight to Atlanta.   The Cubs are in DC, although I don't know if that's where Torrens is as he was DFA'd a few days ago,

I don't know anything about Torrens, but I wished the Orioles would give Anthony Bemboom more opportunity. I liked what I saw when he caught for Danny Coloumbe and Tyler Wells in that emergency situation in Texas after Bradish got hit by the line drive.

Bemboom is an economically serviceable player who can get the job done defensively for what this backup role calls for. They didn't have to go out and throw out who knows how much cash at a team in a trade to acquire another backup catcher who (Torrens) is making millions on his contract, the last I heard. Torrens is an expensive 3rd string backup if what I heard about his salary is true. I would've rather we stayed within the organization and present an opportunity to a guy who has been in the organization for quite some time and already knows our pitchers who are inside the organization.

If Handley is injured, they have other catchers inside the organization to promote or at least do the backup role they are there for and fill in. (Mark Kolozsvary)

32 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Could just be an issue of the move happening late this afternoon and Torrens not being able to join the team in time for a day game tomorrow, so might as well have him go straight to Atlanta.   The Cubs are in DC, although I don't know if that's where Torrens is as he was DFA'd a few days ago,

I think the fact that O'hearn used to play for the folks in Kansas City and knows a lot of them can also be a factor in waiting. It would be disrespectful to the guy after trading for him to DFA/option him while he's there in Kansas City in front of his former familiar home crowd where he lived.

After tomorrow night's game, Kansas City will be in the rear view mirror and that's probably when they make the move.

3 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

It seems a little strange, at this moment anyway. I’m trying not to overthink this. My first thought is that O’Hearn should go down, not that he has been bad at all. His profile doesn’t fit that well if Adley and McCann are going to DH often between catching games. I would think Stowers stays and provides a LH bat with solid defense in the OF corners.

The question for me then is how many at bats will Stowers get while they are trying to get Santander on track? I watched Hyde talk about Santander’s 16 pitch at bat last night, and how he lamented that Santander is “really grinding right now.” They could keep O’Hearn as a bench role LH bat, and Frazier can play OF corners moreso than O’Hearn. IDK. I doubt Torrens is staying long term. Probably a guy they evaluate over a week or two and see what they have in him. See what his aptitude is and what they can fix. 

I wholeheartedly agree with all of this. Hyde doesn't want Stowers to get a fair shot for some reason. He is 1 for 2 tonight and gets pinch hit for by McK against a RH reliever. You don't think KS is better in that spot than freaking McKenna????????? Sorry for the rant but IMHO Hyde hates Stowers like Buck hated Kim.

5 hours ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Carrying a third catcher seems unnecessary, but I guess he can also be an emergency relief pitcher. He got a win pitching in the 10th inning of a double header for the Mariners last season. If we want to have some versatility with Adley at DH, I’d rather carry one backup catcher and then find a 4th bench player who’s a utility guy that could play catcher in a pinch. Is there anyone like that who could be available? 

La Tortuga!

6 hours ago, dedwretched said:

La Tortuga!

From the Baltimore Sun. Usually your third string catcher is strong a strong defender. .

FanGraphs rates the Venezuela native as a below-average defensive catcher, with a career defensive runs saved of minus-22. Among catchers who received at least 750 pitches last season, Torrens ranked 50th out of 64 in Statcast’s framing runs with minus-3.

Edited by Going Underground