A Realistic Pitching Ace And What It Will Take to Acquire Him

BirdMan

On 5/11/2023 at 5:32 PM, Frobby said:

I had a guy apply for a lawyer job at my firm one time whose résumé included his softball league batting average.  My thoughts were:

1.  Why does this guy think his softball abilities are relevant?

2.  Who is keeping track of batting averages in a softball league?  And who is judging hits and errors?

3.  Doesn’t this guy know that OPS or wRC+ is far more indicative of his hitting prowess?

I’m kidding about no. 3, but I definitely had the other two thoughts.  He did not get offered a job.

What if the law firm was owned by a frustrated sports fan who dreamed of owning a mlb team, but made his frustration up by dominating company softball leagues.  I would imagine most company softball leagues are dominated by construction companies, but it's fun to imagine a major law firm that keeps a  couple of traffic ticket attorney because they are softball ringers.

Ok, still a hypothetical scenario, but if the Angels fall out of contention and decide to trade Ohtani, should the Orioles entertain the thought of a rental for the rest of the season?  Maybe trade something like DL Hall, Coby Mayo, and Westburg for the 2 to 3 month rental?

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Nobody’s giving that for Marcus Stroman. The Orioles can and will do much better.

You're drastically underestimating him. Since 2020 he has the 22nd best ERA in baseball among those who have thrown 300+ innings. Which, by the way, is better than Dylan Cease whom everyone is drooling over.

12 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

You're drastically underestimating him. Since 2020 he has the 22nd best ERA in baseball among those who have thrown 300+ innings. Which, by the way, is better than Dylan Cease whom everyone is drooling over.

2+ seasons with a WHIP under 1.15 as well.  So far this season, giving up 6.9 H/9.  FIP under 3.6.  Half a season, Cubs eat some more salary, Stroman takes the opt out for '24... I can see this.  It's realistic.

44 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

I may be underrating him. But as you admitted to being a Cubs fan, you are trying to sell him on us O’s fans for some reasons. 

We have seen him up close and personal for many seasons when he was with the Jays. We know all about Stroman. I guess if he was a last resort? But I would not ever be giving up anything more than maybe Norby for him. And I honestly I would prefer for the O’s to shoot much higher than him. We have an abundance of prospects at our disposal and don’t need to settle. IMO we should be big game hunting.

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

The problem with this entire topic of conversation is it means you would have to bunp some good players out of thr rotation. I mean who are you going to cut? Are you going to really get rid of Bradish who has flashed the potential to be a topnof the rotation pitcher at time? Are you really going to cut Dean Kremer who's been steady and reliable providing depth into the 6th inning and beyond? Gibson? Wells who has a sub 3 ERA? Grayson who has the potential to develop into a top of the rotation pitcher or maybe even an Ace? 

We all seem to want some magic bullet when what we've already got is getting the job done, and some of the pitchers suggested to acquire in this thread have had their own fair shair of struggles in their careers. 

Meanwhile we have Drew Rom still doing very good in Norfolk, and DL Hall is on an upward trajectory with the probability that he should earn a spot in the starting rotation this summer himself.

If I'm building a rotation for the long term, I would like to see DL Hall make the cut. 

But for the sake of conversation let's suppose by some miracle we are able to get an unquestioned superstar pitcher like Max Fried, Shohei Ohtani, Sandy Alcantara, or Corbin Burnes.... then what would the rotation look like and what would happen to all of our pretty good options in the system? You can only start 5 starting pitchers in a 5 man rotation. (Though if they got Ohtani that would become a 6 man rotation.) I'm certainly not moving another starting prospect (IE DL Hall) into the bullpen after all the investment and development that went into them, same for the fact of the scarcity of such quality prospects in the organization.

I think the Orioles move someone like Kremer/Bradish as part of the trade for a starter. If we have the unlikely problem of too many great starting pitchers, we can move one of them for more minor league pitching depth.

1 hour ago, cnmilton said:

Ok, still a hypothetical scenario, but if the Angels fall out of contention and decide to trade Ohtani, should the Orioles entertain the thought of a rental for the rest of the season?  Maybe trade something like DL Hall, Coby Mayo, and Westburg for the 2 to 3 month rental?

I would absolutely not trade those players for a 3 month rental. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cnmilton said:

I seriously doubt the Orioles go for a rental that will cost lot of top prospects that doesn’t fit Elias motto.  I believe if they move the top prospects it will be for a guy that has at least another year or two of control.

The Orioles also have some young guys that normally you want to see get a chance and couple starts but with our division you can’t mess around too much and just give away a couple games.  In other divisions I feel you have more opportunity to get a guy some expierence.  They are still going to have to manage innings with GRod and Wells at some point I assume and possibly Bradish some too down the stretch.  

I think Hyde had Wells in his back pocket today if he needed him in this game which is why he didn’t push the other guys more then an inning except Voth.  He could have used him a couple innings and skipped his next start to limit innings.  

Obviously the team is on a roll and unless we just blow up, the playoffs should be a given. There is something to be said about chemistry and bringing in someone new or trading someone already on the 40 man. It actually could hurt more than help in my opinion especially get the rid of homegrown talent. 

With that said, we are an extremely young team. I think we really need a true #1, someone that can stop the bleeding should we start to lose a few games and someone who will be our game one starter in the playoffs. Gibson has pitched fairly well but he’s more of a #3. In fact, I feel we have mostly #3 starters in the rotation. Guys are getting better and a guy like Wells could be considered an up and coming #2 starter. 

It’s a bit of a dilemma because we could use that #1 but not for the sake of future years. I do not want a rental. I prefer a guy that can be signed. 

1 hour ago, Os4days said:

Obviously the team is on a roll and unless we just blow up, the playoffs should be a given. There is something to be said about chemistry and bringing in someone new or trading someone already on the 40 man. It actually could hurt more than help in my opinion especially get the rid of homegrown talent. 

With that said, we are an extremely young team. I think we really need a true #1, someone that can stop the bleeding should we start to lose a few games and someone who will be our game one starter in the playoffs. Gibson has pitched fairly well but he’s more of a #3. In fact, I feel we have mostly #3 starters in the rotation. Guys are getting better and a guy like Wells could be considered an up and coming #2 starter. 

It’s a bit of a dilemma because we could use that #1 but not for the sake of future years. I do not want a rental. I prefer a guy that can be signed. 

I agree with you 100%.

They could easily turn it around but currently 6 games under .500, would the Guardians be tempted to part with Bieber and another BP arm? Stephan, Karinchak, Clase?

Edited by Dunk35
Add games under .500

2 minutes ago, Dunk35 said:

They could easily turn it around but currently 6 games under .500, would the Guardians be tempted to part with Bieber and another BP arm? Stephan, Karinchak, Clase?

If Cleveland is out of it, I would be surprised to see them keep Bieber.